Talk

Advanced search

I am loosing the will to live - bridesmaid dress related

(49 Posts)
sweetheart Thu 27-Sep-12 15:57:22

Ok, so I KNOW I am a fussy beggar but seriously, I've tried a ton of bridesmaid dress websites and they are all THE SAME!!!!!!

I have found a couple of dresses that stand out which are:-

this one which I LOVE but I am super worried about ordering from China as I've already said I'm fussy and it probably won't fit right and I'll have to pay a fortune to send it back.

I am going to try this one on at the weekend.

Having said that I'd prefer not to have a boob tube dress as I think they are done to death and a bit boring.

My fav one I've tried so far is this but is now out of stock. We were hoping to dye it.

Can anyone find something to inspire me?

chole1 Thu 27-Sep-12 16:05:57

I personally would not order from aboard as when i was sorting my wedding i was infomred that it can cause problems, i,e size's, returns.
Have you tried debenhams? oriantal peal in bluewater.

Gillian Roberts Bridal is where i got all my dress and the ladies there are so helpful and lovely.
Its in south east london if you are near, they do have a website so you might find something on there.

BunnyLebowski Thu 27-Sep-12 16:09:28

You're right about strapless dresses. They're beyond passé and quite unflattering.

First dress is too teenage.

Second is too long and matronly.

Third is beautiful but ivory for bridesmaids is too bridal surely??

sweetheart Thu 27-Sep-12 16:19:42

yes see I need to find something else that is interesting and lovely and perfect and NOT same old rubbish boring crap wink

The dessy one would possibly be taken up as I agree it's too long and the HOF one would have been dyed btw

nancerama Thu 27-Sep-12 16:23:22

Have you tried BHS? I ended up getting my dresses there despite my hatred of them as a retailer totally lacking in style usually.

Unfortunately many of their dresses are the strapless type, but they do come with additional straps, and paired with the matching bolero jackets they looked lovely.

sweetheart Thu 27-Sep-12 16:38:41

The bhs twist and wrap dress is ok but it's not in the right colour. Everything else in there is a bit meh!

Theweek Thu 27-Sep-12 17:16:53

Biba - House of Fraser?

suburbandweller Thu 27-Sep-12 17:25:00

How about something like this or this? My BMs had Alfred Angelo dresses and I would recommend them in terms of quality (and they were better priced and better fabrics than Dessy - although it was 5 years ago so things might have changed)

TheCraicDealer Thu 27-Sep-12 17:29:40

There are some sites like [http://www.maidstomeasure.com/ this] that allow you to pick the style, colour and accessories of each dress, according to what you want. Looks pricey (and risky ordering online) but dear god it looks fun!

nancerama Thu 27-Sep-12 18:33:00

Have you tried Phase Eight? They had some lovely 50's style prom/teadress styled ones when I was looking for dresses. Unfortunately the colours made my wedding dress look grubby.

sweetheart Thu 27-Sep-12 19:09:48

I'd really like something with some lace detail I think. And short rather than long. Phase eight don't have anything I like

CakeBump Thu 27-Sep-12 19:18:42

candyanthony.com?

They have lots of short prom style dresses.

notMarlene Thu 27-Sep-12 20:13:19

Love thsi

too girlish?

This, shortened?

reiss had some sweet styles but only in peach or lemon hmm

notMarlene Thu 27-Sep-12 20:18:31

not lace but gives that feel (add a lace corsage}

sweetheart Thu 27-Sep-12 21:51:38

Most of those are the wrong colour, I already tried the warehouse one but it just didn't feel special enough. The fabric was quite thin and cheap.

Off to check out the candy site.....

sweetheart Thu 27-Sep-12 21:59:15

The candy Anthony dresses are nice and whilst I don't mind splashing out a bit £700 seems a bit steep for a bridesmaid dress

mumzy Thu 27-Sep-12 22:14:04

Have you had a look at the john Lewis website for dresses they've got some great ones. Found this one which is similar to your favourite and a bargain if you're a size 12 www.johnlewis.com/356287/Product.aspx

mumzy Thu 27-Sep-12 22:22:32

This one is nice www.johnlewis.com/334748/Product.aspx

hellymelly Thu 27-Sep-12 22:25:54

Just a tip about dye- you would never be able to dye that dress successfully, the different fabrics would take the dye in different ways, or barely take it at all, and it would look, well... dyed. So I would rule that out.

mumzy Fri 28-Sep-12 07:26:49

These are gorgeous www.johnlewis.com/336049/Product.aspx
www.johnlewis.com/319452/Product.aspx
www.johnlewis.com/334709/Product.aspx

sweetheart Fri 28-Sep-12 10:33:29

I looked at the ghose ones and they are lovely but I don't think satin would suit me plus they are all long. The others are too dark and not really my style, they look a bit old for me I think.

AWimbaWay Fri 28-Sep-12 10:44:49

Some beautiful lace detail dresses here but you'd be ordering from abroad again.

AWimbaWay Fri 28-Sep-12 10:55:00

reiss nude dress

clothing/dresses/ ted baker pale pink

AWimbaWay Fri 28-Sep-12 11:06:50

karen millen aubergine

karen millen embroidery dress, sleeveless though.

AWimbaWay Fri 28-Sep-12 11:17:13

coast bonnie dress

coast charissa dress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now