Talk

Advanced search

40+ - where do you clothes shop

(19 Posts)
Madmog Thu 27-Sep-12 14:25:58

Just wondering where all other 40+ Mums shop. I tend to stick to M&S and Next as their near the bus stop, easy to order online and make returns. Sometimes I feel it would be nice to have more choice (especially as I can't find the kind of coats and cardigans I'd like at the mo), but when I go into other shops I often feel a bit too old or a bit too young for the styles

ProudNeathGirl Thu 27-Sep-12 14:30:30

Have you got an M&Co near you? Not such good quality, but ok for work and casuals to replace every year.

Also White Stuff is fab.

jen127 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:34:09

Primark/ banana republic, next, H&M,ASOS

I really ike the look of Mint velvet but I haven't purchased from them yet.

sugarice Thu 27-Sep-12 14:34:25

I buy a lot of Sandwich clothing, there's a shop in my town that sells it, it's lovely.

I still go into Top Shop and I like their jeans jumpers and jackets for Autumn/Winter. Fat Face is good for us 40+ers. smile

Piffle Thu 27-Sep-12 14:36:12

White stuff, Next, Boden, Toast, H&M , banana republic, Zara,

Napoleon66 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:47:18

I'm 46 and not a mum, I shop at h&m, Zara, Mango, Topshop, Whistles, Reiss, Jaeger, Joseph - latter four mainly from ebay.

Age is just a number as far as clothes are concerned, far more important is choosing items that suit your body, lifestyle and personality.

Napoleon66 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:47:43

I can't believe I'm 46.

BeattieBow Thu 27-Sep-12 14:53:59

current faces are Cos, Whistles and Zara. I also buy from Gap and Toast.
I don't like M&S or Next really.

I have some Boden things, but I generally regret as they make me look frumpy. Also topshop jeans.

prelim29 Thu 27-Sep-12 15:30:16

ebay mostly! Brora (I work there), Boden (sometimes), TKMaxx, Zara.....umm, that's it!!

Cromwell44 Thu 27-Sep-12 15:47:51

I'm almost entering the next decade but phew not quite yet. I mostly have Laura Ashley, Kew, Monsoon, White stuff, Noa Noa, Saltwater with TKMaxx Boden knitwear for work - outside work Gap Fatface, Whitestuff. Also quite like some of the JL stuff but have to choose carefully to avoid frumpage. As i get older I've strated to covert more expensive clothes Jigsaw, Nicole Fahri and the like but with 3 teenagers to feed and clothe that stuff wil probably be sale only.
Love Zara clothes but at size 14 I'm too big to fit into most of them.

Madmog Fri 28-Sep-12 10:25:57

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to do some research and find where some of the shops are in my local town. Have to say I've never heard of Toast though!

PostBellumBugsy Fri 28-Sep-12 10:32:21

M&S & H&M for the basics (undies, t-shirts, vest tops).
ebay for all higher end items, so I buy FennWrightManson, Hobbs, PhaseEight, Jaegar, Nicole Fahri etc all off ebay.
TXMaxx.com for coats, handbags & outerwear. The stores drive me nuts, but online is good.
Occasional bits from Zara, but again at size 14, I find alot of their things are on the small side.

teta Fri 28-Sep-12 12:59:35

Tk Maxx,Me and Em,Wrap,M&s for basics,Matalan for basics and Duo for boots.I also really love Brora but tend to buy in the sales.

Pandsbear Fri 28-Sep-12 13:13:36

Zara, H&M, Toast for knits/jumpers/wool coats (in sale), Topshop, Primark for long sleeved stretchy tops, ebay (for brands I know will fit me such as specific Topshop jeans or just good quality coats etc), vintage shops/stalls, TK Maxx very occasionally, What Katie Did & M&S for underwear, make some of my own dresses and skirts and tweak quite a lot I buy as I am on the smaller end of the scale. Shoes Clarks, Brasher boots, Fly, Russell & Bromley.

BirdyArms Fri 28-Sep-12 13:25:39

Cos is my no 1 shop, but don't think there are many outside London. I buy the odd think from Whistles, it's a bit more that I would like to spend, and same with Hobbs NW3 range. Buy a few things from GAP and the odd think from TopShop.

maryquant Fri 28-Sep-12 13:36:02

Try Ebay to experiment with pricier labels .
For work- it's Boden M&S Next (trousers due to being short) Hobbs Great Plains
Out of work- White Stuff GAP TK Maxx Ness Monsoon River island (knit wear)Joules Vivienne Westwood if feeling very flush.
My shape and size determine where I shop rather than age to be honest.
44 5FT 2 curvy hour glass.size 8-10.
Know what I don't like and just take it from there.
This site is good for ideas.
Asking people where they buy things too...they are usually flattered if you say you like something.

higgle Fri 28-Sep-12 13:49:02

I'm 56 and my age is not a factor in where I shop. I like Jigsaw, Top shop, H&M, uniqlo, Whistles and Phase Eight. I also shop at a couple of places in Bristol where young designers have stalls in larger outlets. TK Maxx is good and I get the odd item from M&S and Hobbs. On the whole I find Next pretty poor quality these days, with too much polyester. Special treats come from Toast and Brora in the sale.

Sonotkylie Fri 28-Sep-12 18:53:34

Excited by Sandwich ...
I generally shop at M&S, Boden, White Stuff, Uniqlo, White Company, Gap and keep an eye on Next for the odd decent item. I would add Baukjen (old Isabella Oliver) for 'good' bits that are slightly more unusual. May be losing their way a bit with rebrand but I have a fantastic cardigan from them this autumn. Its not as easy as it was, you can't just do 1 shop any more.
Oh and Higgle (sorry for hijack) what are the places in Bristol you mention? Sound interesting and I am near there too. Thank you

M&S Autograph for t-shirts and the odd nice silk top.
Warehouse for the odd silk top and basic slouchy t-shirts.
White Company for jersey dresses.
Hobbs for tops and for accessories and jackets in the sales.
Vivienne Westwood sales.
H&M for cheapo blazers and scarves.
Topshop for junky bracelets etc plus the odd jersey wonder (esp maxi skirts)
House of Fraser shoe dept, esp for Dune and Bertie
Clarks for ballet flats
Monsoon for tights, M&S Autograph for opaques and sometimes Wolford sales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now