Talk

Advanced search

Stylish ways of keeping ears warm?

(15 Posts)
SpicyPear Thu 27-Sep-12 14:12:54

Soo, every year I have the same problem of my ears being freezing. However, I'm quite a warm person so hats make me all hot and sweaty unless it's sub-zero. Last year in a moment of desperation I found myself buying fluffy ear muffs in a French hypermarket blush.

What about those ear warmer head band things? If anyone can help me keep my ears warm and head cool his winter without embarrassing myself I will be very grateful.

Plumpcious Thu 27-Sep-12 16:22:10

Try Googling 'ear warmers'. The bits that cover the ears are similar to ear muffs (although not fluffy) but the headband part actually goes around the back of the neck, so they're less conspicuous than ear muffs (especially if you have long hair that covers the neckband).

I had ear muffs when I was a teenager but then tried a head band thing which I found to be useless in windy weather because it didn't stop windchill. I then bought a pair of ear warmers and have been using them for years. The neckband on mine is adjustable - I don't know if they're all like that.

This is the type of thing (in plain black). And there are lots of colourful (and more expensive) ones here

cocolepew Thu 27-Sep-12 16:24:06

I have a nice grey knitted band from Primark, I think it looks nice.

nickeldaisical Thu 27-Sep-12 16:27:54

Plumplicious - mine are like that (ear warmers/muffs)

i don't care whether they're in fashion, they're better than the fucking aching pain i get from bare ears.
and hats don't work, either - my head becomes too warm and the cold still gets into my ears.

Craftyone Thu 27-Sep-12 16:27:54

UGG do some nice ones. Knitted, sheepskin etc Good quality but a bit pricey.

nickeldaisical Thu 27-Sep-12 16:29:11

i like these ones [grin]

mine were £5 from the Cotswold company, but they don't make them now.

i like that site that plump linked to.

nickeldaisical Thu 27-Sep-12 16:29:33

grin doesn't work with lion.

[http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Chaos_Hats_PINGOS_Kids_Knit_Earmuffs_One_Size_Navy-%2845762%29]]

nickeldaisical Thu 27-Sep-12 16:29:43

www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Chaos_Hats_PINGOS_Kids_Knit_Earmuffs_One_Size_Navy-%2845762%29

gah

SpicyPear Thu 27-Sep-12 18:25:12

Those are very fetching Nickel but I don't think they'd fit on my rather fat head. I agree that they also wouldn't work on a lion grin.

Thanks all. I'm going to hunt around for some cheaper ear warmers to order for now and then put something like this on my Christmas list.

SpicyPear Thu 27-Sep-12 19:04:57

UPDATE - I've found a bargainous solution grin

Sparklegeek Thu 27-Sep-12 19:57:52

£80???? EIGHTY POUNDS???!!!

TapselteerieO Thu 27-Sep-12 22:01:45

Amazon quite reasonable.

nickeldaisical Fri 28-Sep-12 13:08:23

i meant to type link!! grin
I even corrected it to lion! shock

Bubblemoon Fri 28-Sep-12 13:35:44

Saw this on the Joules website the other day and thought WTF is that thing for?

http://www.joules.com/Women/Accessories/Muffler/Womens-Fleece-Headband/Red?id=N_MUFFLER|RED

But then I saw your question and it all fell into place! It's serendipity in ear warming form.

SpicyPear Fri 28-Sep-12 16:20:09

Bubble if they had it in black or grey I'd have given it a go, but sadly those are not my colours. Good to know I'm not as much of a freak as I thought though and there is solid demand from the cold of ear/hot of head!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now