Talk

Advanced search

I feel so unfeminine :(

(14 Posts)
naturelover Wed 26-Sep-12 17:26:46

My size 8.5 wide feet mean that basically I am sidelined by fashion. 90% of High Street shoe shops are out of the question. My weird feet make online shoe shopping an exercise in frustration too, since I always have to send stuff back.

I live in Converse and jeans. Sandals are fine in summer - maybe I should move to a hot country?

I end up buying shoes once every two years, and wearing said shoes till they fall apart, and never having any fun with clothes because I always have to dress casually to fit in with my trainers. I daydream about being able to buy some fun ballet flats for £20 that I can enjoy for a season and not worry about finding a replacement pair when they collapse.

Anyway, rant over. I realise this is a First World Problem.

DonaAna Wed 26-Sep-12 17:50:34

Aww, no need to despair: a thread for you.

I spend a lot of time in Scandinavia and one of the department shoes there had lots and lots of the most gorgeous shoes in 43 (all those lovely styles sold out in smaller sizes): high heels, strappy shoes, the prettiest ballerinas, you name it. Lots of runway models share your problem btw.

I think accessorizing with shoes is overrated. If you have three to four pairs in basic colors (I'd pick black and nude; one pair of classic courts, two pairs of great flats, and a pair of strappy sandals/wedges/whatever looks cutting edge) you can build infinite outfits around them. Vary the colors and textures in your clothes, and the shoes can stay the same. And don't be afraid to shop in the men's department - brogues and chelsea boots are very on trend right now!

DolomitesDonkey Wed 26-Sep-12 17:55:55

I believe Evans do a good line in up to a size 10 - but you've got to move fast else the transvestites will beat you to them!

DonaAna Wed 26-Sep-12 17:59:52

Totally OT Donkey but I saw a middle-aged man wearing a breton, rolled-up skinnies and ginormous ballerinas in the local park. He did not wear a wig or makeup. What next? Will I see him in mum boots and a Merrell Wakefield?

DolomitesDonkey Wed 26-Sep-12 18:32:23

I saw a man just last week in a tu-tu - perhaps it's the latest fashion? I'm not sure my husband is going to go for this... Although he does think it's "hilarious" to wear my heels. hmm

naturelover Wed 26-Sep-12 18:37:30

Thanks for that thread. I will start by checking out Evans as they have a local store at least and I can afford their prices.

I think you're right DonaAna, I don't need a vast selection of shoes. It's just that right now this minute I have one pair of Converse, boots that leak and one pair of uncomfortable flats that I can only wear if I sit all evening! If only I had a decent budget I would venture into London and check out Blue Velvet shoes, which sounds promising.

SoldeInvierno Wed 26-Sep-12 18:51:00

TKMaxx in High Street Kensington had a good selection of sizes 8 and 9 last weekend. So if you are ever in that area, it is worth having a look.

prelim29 Wed 26-Sep-12 21:05:37

Surprised noone's mentioned nine west - they go up to a 9. Here's the link http://www.ninewest.co.uk/

prelim29 Wed 26-Sep-12 21:06:04

whoops sorry link
www.ninewest.co.uk/

MrsRogerSterling Wed 26-Sep-12 21:33:49

Aldo do shoes/ boots upto a 9. If you don't have one near you the website is pretty good.

FauxFox Wed 26-Sep-12 21:57:39

Even New look have shedloads of cheap size 8 or 9 widefit shoes and boots have a browse here and with amazon and ebay and the wonder of the web there must be loads of choice for you! Just buy some stuff - you can alwayd send it back if it doesn't fit smile

loflo Wed 26-Sep-12 22:51:52

I have the same size feet however Asda now do nearly all their footwear up to size 9 grin

Dollydowser Wed 26-Sep-12 23:05:13

Feet are a nuisance. I only take a 4 but my feet don't seem to be the right shape for any shoes I try on. In my next life I want to be a shoemaker (with elves and everything).
Another fed up shoe shopper

AgathaFusty Thu 27-Sep-12 08:04:25

Have you tried this site. I've just received my second order from them, the quality is good, the sizes appear to be as they should be (none of that size 8 really being a 7 rubbish), free delivery and returns, and they've got a great selection. They deliver from Germany, so orders take around 3 - 4 working days to arrive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now