Talk

Advanced search

Dog walking footwear

(39 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Wed 26-Sep-12 14:56:08

Looking for recommendations, even though this isn't particularly stylish or beautiful.

I'm a bit new to this as puppy is only 5 months. Currently I wear trainers if on the road walking and wellies if going in the fields. But I live very rurally and the wetter and colder it gets I don't think trainers are going to be quite right for much longer, especially if jumping into grass verges to keep in from cars. What do you wear? Is there such a thing as waterproof trainers - or is that wandering into hiking boot territory? Cause I'm thinking that's not such a bad idea at the moment.

I'm on a bit of a Style and Beauty thread roll at the moment, this is 2 of 3. If you know a good everyday mascara or have an opinion on parkas, please come and find my other threads!

blue2 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:59:44

I wear a pair of these: uk-shop.dubarryboots.com/collections/women/footwear/country-boots/galway-boot-women

Not cheap by any stretch, but I'm on my third pair. They last me years and are like walking in a pair of waterproof breathable slippers.

(They do need a bit of wearing in, though!)

sparklingwine Wed 26-Sep-12 15:03:40

OP I have a pair of walking shoes- they're made like walking boots, but are only as high on the ankle as trainers. If you get the right kind and spray them with stuff, then they're waterproof. I used to wear walking boots but I don't like getting hot ankles.
Then wellies if there are enormous puddles.

ALittleLemonTwist Wed 26-Sep-12 15:04:17

What about some waterproof boots from timberland? Can't link as on phone but they have some surprisingly nice styles

HelgatheHairy Wed 26-Sep-12 15:04:26

Blue They look good but I have very chunky calves and would worry about them fitting. Also do you just use them on the roads or could they be used as wellies as well? I walk in farmland where it can get VERY muddy!

HelgatheHairy Wed 26-Sep-12 15:07:13

Cross posts - thanks sparkling and lemon

I don't have a problem with getting hot ankles, have permanently cold feet! so might look into walking boots

Will look into timberland.

dreamingofsun Wed 26-Sep-12 15:11:15

in your circumstances i would wear walking boots. mine are from clarkes and are pretty good value and do the job.

MadAboutHotChoc Wed 26-Sep-12 15:12:57

Merrell walking shoes for dry weather and aigle wellies for muddy walks.

DreamySleepyNightySnoozySnooze Wed 26-Sep-12 15:18:12

I wear Toggi Canyon boots. They're really comfy, generous around the calf, warm, and mean that I don't get wet/muddy trouser legs from long grass. I can't bear wet trousers, especially jeans.

DreamySleepyNightySnoozySnooze Wed 26-Sep-12 15:19:51

Oh and they're just as good as wellies for wading through mud/puddles etc!

SpicyPear Wed 26-Sep-12 16:51:15

Just nipped over from your parka thread as I'm interested in this too.

I've just ordered some Joules Wellibobs to try for this very purpose as all our walks are a bit on street and bit muddy parks or common. I was hoping they'd work for both...

HelgatheHairy Wed 26-Sep-12 17:11:56

Dreamy I like the look (and reviews) of those boots.

Abzs Wed 26-Sep-12 17:54:55

As a dog walking person you'll go through footwear. Add up how many miles you'll do in a year and you might be surprised, especially as a ordinary pair of trainers is usually only designed to last 500 miles.

So if you go for wellies, you'll need to spend a bit more (or hunt out a bargain) and go for something intended for harder use eg the Hunter Balmoral (other riding/shooting brands make similar) rather than the standard Hunter.

You can get walking shoes with waterproof linings, but boots will keep you drier as they come up higher. Almost all walking boots will have a waterproof lining. You can also get ankle gaiters that cover the bottoms of your trousers.

Lots and lots of choice - take yourself off to a shop and try some out.

Missmuffet28 Wed 26-Sep-12 18:06:34

I have a pair of timbalands which are fab and comfy and I would say water resistant but for the winter I would definately say wellies and like someone else mentioned go for hard wearing 'made for fields not festivals' wellies they cost more but definately worth it smile

cutegorilla Wed 26-Sep-12 18:16:14

I have Hunter wellies (with a fleece insole), they last forever and keep my feet dry, and some Brasher waterproof walking shoes which are so comfy and last so long that they don't even sell the style I have anymore! These are the most similar www.brasher.co.uk/catalogue/products/ambler-gtx-r-b-10135ra5-b-10135a50

MadAboutHotChoc Wed 26-Sep-12 18:59:19

I used to love Hunters but the quality is now so bad - after my first pair, I kept going through one or two pairs a year..

NotMostPeople Wed 26-Sep-12 19:06:21

My hunters have cracked so I need some new ones and I'm not sure what to do as mine were the old made in the UK ones apparently they've gone downhill. I also walk my dogs in rural areas and feel that Wellies are the only way to go walking boots are just not tall enough. I get the fleece liners for the winter, the only problem I have is that Wellies don't grip too well if you're in a lot of mud.

lapsedorienteerer Wed 26-Sep-12 19:14:59

It's worth paying a little more for boots that will last, I bought a pair of Le Chameau wellies with a vibram sole (walking boot style) and neoprene lining (no need for thick socks) 11 years ago and they are still going stronggrin. Try some sites like this

prelim29 Wed 26-Sep-12 20:56:32

I am the world's heaviest wear-er out-er of wellies and have tried most brands - here's my opinion for what it's worth:
Hunter - rubbish - will only last you a year/2 years tops as they are now made in china and are no better than any of the cheaper welly brands - eg Joules
Muck Boot company - warm as half neoprene but still wear out within 2 years
Dubarry - expensive but worth the cost as lined with gortex and warm - they do different models including wider calf
Le Chameau - all sorts to suit all pockets - currently have the gortex lined Jameson leather ones - have lasted 2 years but leather upper has hole in now, my OH has the leather lined rubber - the most pricey ones BUT they are on their 5th year and still going strong
Aigle - not tried but recommended by farmers so must be good.
Hope this helps!

blue2 Thu 27-Sep-12 10:05:30

Helga Dubarry do the boots for wide calfs (calves?). They do them in 2 widths.

I treat them as wellies - but ones that I wear all winter and beyond!

ceres Thu 27-Sep-12 10:37:28

aigle parcours is a 'walking' welly - the design is based on a walking boot. they are very confy and come in a vario version for wider calves

alli1968 Thu 27-Sep-12 10:40:09

I have the dubarryboots suggested by blue2. They are fab and called hagrid boots in our house x

DonaAna Thu 27-Sep-12 10:51:02

I love Ilse Jacobsen boots. Have used them almost exclusively for the past two winters. The flat ankle boots are the most versatile.

There are waterproof trainers - I have a pair (Gore Tex lined; check out sportswear stores). The problem with them is that once water gets inside (if you run through a puddle), it won't come out.

HelgatheHairy Thu 27-Sep-12 10:53:32

Loads of advice. Am off to google. One of my problems is I live in a small rural location in Ireland so most of these I would have to order to try on first which makes it a little awkward. We do have an outdoors shop though so I will go have a look.

futterbingers Thu 27-Sep-12 11:30:33

Helga I'm in Ireland too and last winter I bought a pair of Goretex knee high boots in Clarks, they were €180 reduced to €90 I think. They are warm, waterproof, and they look a bit like riding boots so look smartish (well I think so anyway!). Perfect for dogwalking. I've just looked on their site and can't see them this year, so maybe the Dubes are the way to go? Ordering online is a pain from Ireland, the postage makes any item v expensive and especially so if you need to return an item. Also, I think with footwear especially, you need to try before you buy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now