Talk

Advanced search

Help me get motivated to lose baby weight pls!

(14 Posts)
Valdeeves Tue 25-Sep-12 22:38:26

Well I'be just had my last baby and now have two amazing children but I desperately want my body back as I only have two pairs of jeans and three tops that fit.
I'm not expecting to become JLo overnight but can you give me your top motivational tips for losing weight?

aimingtobeaperfectionist Tue 25-Sep-12 22:41:15

If you find any motivation, any chance of chucking some my way? Pretty pleasegrin. 4 months after DD born and still living in DP's joggers blush...

Mewsical Tue 25-Sep-12 23:14:42

4 months??

Mosman Wed 26-Sep-12 00:09:46

2 years on I have bought my own jiggers but I find I'm too busy with babies and toddlers to think about me until they are around three but that's just my way. These years go to fast to be worrying about the size of your arse.

jumpingjackamo Wed 26-Sep-12 01:11:26

Personally I would say relax and go with the flow for a while. Learn to live with just a couple of pairs of jeans and don't stress over it.

My DD is one this weekend and I have literally just started buying new clothes this week. I have only had two pairs of jeans and a couple of skirts for the last year and I borrowed all of DH's jumpers and T shirts along the way.

I have found that BF my DD has made my weight decrease now that she is older because even though she eats solids, she feeds enough to bring my weight down and keep it steady.

I am not going to worry about exercising till a few more weeks have passed as we will be weaning her then and I won't need to eat so much to keep up with her BF.

But I do have a goal of getting back to my old body for next summer when we go on holiday. I visualise myself in all the outfits I want to get and that is my motivation. I use a lot of visualization for motivation.

DH used to train almost daily at the gym and all his gym mates used to have' rivals' they wanted to 'compete' with in the physique department and they would use that as motivation too. Its a kind of way of looking up to the person as fitness inspiration. And/ or they would compete with someone they knew in real life in fitness activities and weight training ability. If you have someone you can do this with, it is really effective.

Zwitterion Wed 26-Sep-12 06:09:36

I put on 4 st in both my pregnancies. For me, carrying the extra weight was uncomfortable, nothing fitted and I didn't feel happy.

The first time I lost it through doing Davina's post natal video every day, and avoiding cake. I also breastfed and had a goal (getting married 5 months after the birth, that kept me on track!)

This time I'm almost at pre pregnancy weight but have been doing Slimming World as don't have the time for regular structured exercise now. Really like the concept behind it, can eat loads and get a breastfeeding allowance.

For me, having a sensible aim of losing 1-2 pounds per week, focusing on 7 lbs at a time, and rewarding myself with size irrelevant things when reaching each half stone (bag, make-up, shoes) has really worked.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 26-Sep-12 07:37:28

Yes, 4 months. Friends who had babies at the same time are all back to pre baby weight and I'm just too lazy blush. Have been commented on several times about my size still. You'd think that would be enough motivation!!

dexter73 Wed 26-Sep-12 07:53:03

How rude to comment on someones's weight, especially just after they have had a baby! I lost weight by eating healthily and watching my portion size which meant weighing out pasta/rice/potatoes. I also made sure my plate was half full with vegetables. Snacking on fruit if I was hungry. It was very easy to do and made me feel better to cut out all the crap, as it gave me more energy.

Valdeeves Wed 26-Sep-12 09:58:45

Thanks guys!

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 26-Sep-12 12:48:54

People seem to think pregnancy/just had baby = fair game for comments IMO. I never realised how rude people can be!! My excuse is my DP works away all week and I've no family nearby so it's hard to find time/energy to cook a decent meal and easier to snack on biscuits. I'm afraid fruit doesn't cut it.

CakeInMyFace Wed 26-Sep-12 12:50:19

That's awful that others are commenting on your weight. Four months is nothing... seriously. I eventually went for Weight Watchers and have lost 10 kilos (not sure how many stone that is!!), it has taken nearly 5 months but it's come off slowly in a healthy way. I would never have been ready to do it though at 4 months. At that stage I was still keeping up my energy with lots of cake and biscuits!

jumpingjackamo Wed 26-Sep-12 14:14:42

I got all the comments too. My mum still checks to see if my tummy has gone back in every once in a while. The comments all came from older people for me and I think it is a generational thing at times. I just ignore it for the most part.

It is rude of others to comment on anyone's weight so soon after having a baby, even the dad's. We joke in our house that DH now has a daddy belly too.

4 months really is nothing! It has taken me a whole year to get anywhere near my previous weight and I still have a little way to go.+

OhSoSimple Wed 26-Sep-12 14:29:40

mewsical this is not am I being unreasonable! Bloody rude. Unless of course you were suggesting OP should not be too concerned she hasn't shed the excess weight after only 4 months.

OP could you do a restricted diet -like The Hairy Bikers on BBC they have some yummy recipes, a lot of them ready quickly. (unless of course you are BF)

Exercise wise perhaps look at The Shred as is only 20 mins long so doable, think the exercise bit just makes you feel a bit more productive.

Sleepwhenidie Wed 26-Sep-12 14:49:19

Oh just tell anyone who comments to fuck off - how rude! The first year of a baby's life passes so fast, usually in a fog of sleepless nights (no friend to willpower when it comes to carbs and sugar) really, the last thing to stress over is your weight.

In the grand scheme of life, a year of being a bit overweight is nothing. I say relax and enjoy your baby and as jumpingjackamo says, know that you have a goal afterwards that you can focus on once your baby is a little more independent.

I did this three times and it worked out fine, even though i ended up heavier when babies were 12mo than i was immediately after giving birth. Three lovely years spent sitting around breastfeeding and eating whatever i liked, lovely grin. Then plenty of exercise and sensible (not extreme) diet are the key. I lost over 2st after ds2 turned 1. Pics of me now are currently on profile (relating to s&b thread). Nice clothes and also being able to eat are my big motivation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now