Talk

Advanced search

Hen weekend... Pyjama's?? Can't believe I'm asking this!

(26 Posts)
YeahBuddy Tue 25-Sep-12 22:37:23

Ok, so my friend is having her hen weekend in London at the end of February. We are staying one night and going to see a drag act/strippers hmm but the dress code for that night is pj's/onsies!!!

I appreciate that we are all going to look like complete knobs but I am 24 and a size 16/18 and want to at least look relatively nice at least before I am too drunk to care. I realise that is never going to happen in a onesie but can you give me some ideas for nice pj's that I can wear and that won't look totally ridiculous?

VBisme Tue 25-Sep-12 22:43:24

do you have a boux avenue near you? They tend to have a good selection of pjs. I have a grown up looking onsie with a "jacket" to match

I can't find it now on the website, but they have this

YeahBuddy Tue 25-Sep-12 22:55:32

Oooh I like that, thank you for the link smile What's the sizing like though, are they quite ahem generous in sizing? Looks like the nearest store to me is over an hour away so will probably have to order online.

SchrodingersMew Tue 25-Sep-12 23:10:37

If you are a 16/18 I don't know that I would go with a style like that, I think they really only sit well on the uber skinny.

I'm a 12 and I have tried countless times to find one that looks right. sad

Boux is really good though.

YeahBuddy Tue 25-Sep-12 23:18:14

I think I may have to grab my friend who is also going and go have a big PJ trying-on day. Not that she'll have this problem... skinny cow

HyvaPaiva Wed 26-Sep-12 17:37:40

These look really comfy and well-fitted. I think something that's technically nightwear but still makes you feel stylish would work.

MarianForrester Wed 26-Sep-12 17:47:12

I would consider leggings and a long top to be pyjamas... Maybe with a nice bit of lace trim at the neckline? TK Maxx usually has some nice things that don't look too awful smile

I would die with that dress code btw

anchovies Wed 26-Sep-12 17:57:52

What about a slinky robe with some massive heels?

Or you could just go mad and get this mostrosity!

GobblersKnob Wed 26-Sep-12 18:10:12

I think that next robe and heels would look fab if you are daring, it's almost a lbd.

Personally I think the cat monstrosity is fab grin and would wear it with dm's and a bowler hat.

MsOnatopp Wed 26-Sep-12 18:30:38

I love both anchovies links!! But I'm one of the 'skinny cows' hmm you are talking about so meh.

MsOnatopp Wed 26-Sep-12 18:31:34

If you wouldn't like someone to refer to you as a fat cow you shuoldn't refer to someone else as a skinny cow. 'skinny' is unkind.

That is all. <and breathe>

HyvaPaiva Wed 26-Sep-12 20:14:50

Anchovies' idea of slinky robe and killer heels is far better than mine! Excellent plan.

purplehouse Wed 26-Sep-12 20:19:38

I think you could get away with choosing a pair of black yoga trouser type things and putting a pyjama type top on.

bigpants103 Wed 26-Sep-12 20:22:19

At the risk of sounding miserable but I would hate that dress code. It is obviously meant to make you all look like nobs. I wouldnt want to find some slinky sleepwear and people be unsure if you are in pyjamas or if it's just a weird dress.

I think you need to embrace the crap pyjama look at go with something like the fleece animal print eye sore. On a positive note at least you'll be warm and snug!!!

Itsgottabebags Wed 26-Sep-12 20:28:53

I would go for grey marl material op so that it looks like you are wearing leisure wear. Also a big pj top with long sleeves and thermal vest underneath.

Has your friend considered that they might not allow her in certain clubs etc due to the dress code?

MissWooWoo Wed 26-Sep-12 20:39:45

Here's hoping your friend has organised door to door limos! brrrr to a slinky robe in soho on a frosty february night!

MissWooWoo Wed 26-Sep-12 20:43:53

@MsOnatopp come on now YeahBuddy didn't mean it like that did she? give her a break!

mirpuppet Wed 26-Sep-12 20:45:33

I love the cat snuggle suit. I would get a blazer to wear over it and perhaps a belt around it.

Not sure the look would get much love at night clubs in central London.

MsOnatopp Wed 26-Sep-12 21:11:33

MissWooWoo yes, I think she did.

Iwillorderthefood Wed 26-Sep-12 21:12:11

Perhaps someone better check you'll be allowed in to the places you want to go. Have you looked at uniqlo they do great loungewear black kind of yoga ish trousers and vesty tops they are not bad.

TheCraicDealer Wed 26-Sep-12 22:05:23

Love the robe idea! You will look very sophisticated compared to all those other clowns in their onsies, hah! Especially if you can get those bedroom mules with the fluffy bits on grin

TheCraicDealer Wed 26-Sep-12 22:09:45

Cool your jets, Oneatop, that was clearly tongue in cheek.

YeahBuddy Thu 27-Sep-12 10:59:10

Msonatopp, I am very sorry if you found the 'skinny cow' comment offensive, it honestly wasn't meant to be. What I meant was my friend wouldn't have a problem finding something to wear for this dress code because she is a size 8 and I am extremely envy of her in certain situations (not all) and it was a joke directed at her not anybody else. But thanks for upping my anxiety about the whole thing because it is very clear that I am just going to look like a dick. Plus, just for the record, it wouldn't bother me if she called me a fat cow

Anyway, thanks everyone else for your suggestions. I can't do heels though at all so it's flats all the way which will look entirely ridiculous whatever I wear sad

YeahBuddy Thu 27-Sep-12 11:00:25

And is calling somebody 'skinny' really unkind?? That's a new one on me...

LulaPalooza Thu 27-Sep-12 11:36:33

I'm the same size as you, Yeah so feel your pain, love. Will all the other be dressed up in slinky, sexy nightwear? I think you need to gauge the situation because if you turn up in slinky stuff and the others are all wearing silly/ comfy/ slouchy PJs you might feel uncomfortable, and vice versa if they're wearing sexy stuff and you're not

Either way... some ideas:
this could look nice with opaque tights and ballerina pumps, perhaps with a matching dressing gown?

these are ridiculously expensive, but something similar?

Or, TK Maxx often do men's Calvin Klein pyjama bottoms at very cheap prices, which are comfy and look fab. The men's large fits my ample bottom perfectly. Team them with a black fitted t-shirt, good bra and a pair of Converse or something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now