Talk

Advanced search

Dress for my 40th

(15 Posts)
earlyriser Tue 25-Sep-12 17:22:20

I'm off to hit the shops tomorrow to look for a dress for my 40th (going out for cocktails and I fancy glamming up). I would love it if anyone could give me some ideas to look at before i go.

Am 5' 7", size 10 top and waist, 12 bottom/hips. Like my arms/upper body, below the knees. Thighs are on the large side and would rather not show them off.

Thank you if anyone cares to help!

HyvaPaiva Tue 25-Sep-12 17:41:47

How about something layered with definition at the top to show off the arms and upper body and more fluid at the bottom? This would cover the thighs, show off your arms, and it's quite elegant. This is more in-your-face glam and shows off the bits you like, although it hides the thighs less. Have a lovely birthday!

earlyriser Tue 25-Sep-12 17:45:56

Ooh Thank you! Quite like the top half of the first dress, and the sparkly bit of the second. Not sure about maxi dresses though as they do tend to excentuate my pear shape grin. But I do have a coast in town so can always try it on tomorrow, may be pleasantly surprised!

FauxFox Tue 25-Sep-12 19:31:00

black dotty coast
red kaliko
js chocolate
black one shoulder untold
coast black bandeau
sequin maxi in turquoise or purple
french connection sequins

notMarlene Tue 25-Sep-12 19:32:53

The classic 50's shape would really flatter you I think. How about something like this or this (both come in loads of colours)?

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 25-Sep-12 19:39:35

I like the Vivienne of holloway dresses. Has anyone bought one before? Are they good quality??

earlyriser Tue 25-Sep-12 19:59:18

ooh ooh, thought this thread had died a death, excited to see some more replies. Going to check them out now smile

earlyriser Tue 25-Sep-12 20:09:57

Thanks everyone. Fauxfox, what a lovely selection of dresses, and i'd love to be able to wear any of them, but as well as being rather hippy, i am also rather bumpy too, so clingy dresses are a no no. Boo

notMarlene i love the 50s style, and i actually bought one from amazon Tiger Milly

but unsure of the flock type polka dots.

earlyriser Tue 25-Sep-12 20:16:20

I love this one www.vivienofholloway.com/en/category/50s%20Halterneck%20Luxury%20Dress/1950s-halterneck-luxury-dress/977/

notMarlene Tue 25-Sep-12 20:17:32

Oh yes! That's stunning!

earlyriser Tue 25-Sep-12 20:28:47

Not quite sure i can justify the cost of dress plus £60 for petticoat, plus shoes. But it is my 40th and it is a timeless piece....

Let's see what my trip into town brings tomorrow (knowing full well that nothing will come close to that dress grin )

notMarlene Tue 25-Sep-12 20:39:12

The petticoats VoH sells are totally and utterly lush, I love mine. They're made by Sams, and available for less at Swingtime it's the STP835 (4th down on the left) mine is black but they do loads of colours. Very an old fashioned site / company and you need to phone to order.

I'm told these pretty good too, but organdy net won't move quite as nicely as chiffon does. Utter bargain though and if you're not likely to wear dresses a petticoat regularly then these are probably the way to go.

earlyriser Tue 25-Sep-12 20:52:02

Thanks again. I think if i did buy the petticoat from vivien, i'd be quite tempted to wear it on it's own. They do look so much nicer than the netty ones on ebay.

Out of interest, which dress to you have?

FauxFox Wed 26-Sep-12 07:41:11

I've got a viv of Holloway circle dress - black with white spots and the petticoat in black, tis stunning and v flattering i've worn mine to a ball with the petticoat and with a denim jacket any old time without it. Be aware that if you wear the petticoat you may be unable to resist twirling around which uses up quite alot of room...

earlyriser Wed 26-Sep-12 18:40:17

I like the sound of that faux! Nothing of any use in town, so may well just get the one I really love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now