Talk

Advanced search

Have long coat cardigans gone out of fashion now?

(10 Posts)
peterrabbitismyfriend Tue 25-Sep-12 17:18:58

I saw a lovely long coat cardigan in TK Maxx this week and really wanted to buy it - looks really warm for the winter. It's sort of a chunky, knitted style big cardigan, down to the knee in mink colour. No buttons, no collar, straight down to the knee and lots of nice cable knitted detail.

But have they gone out of fashion? I am behind the curve!? Or could I go back and buy it?

Bongaloo Tue 25-Sep-12 17:25:36

I think I've just seen too many worn with uggy boots that look like dressing gown & slippers.
I'd like to wear a long cosy cardigan - but can't the the idea that it looks like a dressing gown out of my head.
I think they probably look okay while they're new or if they good quality, rather than having bobbling and signs of being well worn.

EllieorOllie Tue 25-Sep-12 17:29:42

<looks down at self> <hopes not>

Sleepthief Tue 25-Sep-12 17:55:45

Seriously, if you like it, buy it! Things are on and off (and on again)the fashion pages too quickly for mere mortals to keep up smile

peterrabbitismyfriend Tue 25-Sep-12 17:56:26

Grrrr....tricky... still undecided...

EllieorOllie, at least you will be warm this winter smile worry not!

peterrabbitismyfriend Tue 25-Sep-12 17:58:56

Well, am not a big fashion hobo but do like to sort of vaguely keep up and have never seen a long coat cardigan I actually LIKED but for the first time, this one looked good.

But don't like the thought of wearing it and thinking every so often, "I'm so 2009 in this!"

I have considered just wearing it at home but seems expensive to buy it just as a 'lounge coat' grin twas £35!!

heroutdoors Tue 25-Sep-12 18:37:35

Trick is, peterrabbit, does it suit you?
If it does then the 2009 will fall away, or even 2008, 2007, etc etc.
If you want it to look 2012 , sling a belt around it.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 25-Sep-12 20:04:39

I've got one which I do wear at home a lot.

The problem with them is you can't wear a coat over them easily due to the length but there aren't that many days when they work as in its not raining/too hot/too cold.

peterrabbitismyfriend Tue 25-Sep-12 20:13:14

Ah, Mrscampbellblack, I think you have encapsulated my fears.

I have visions of swanning around in it, around town day in day out, yet like you say, it's not THAT warm, nor is it rainproof, nor can you squeeze a coat on top....

Oh dear, it's looking less and less like something I should buy and yet I still yearn for it... it did look nice on, sort of smart/casual/modern/trendy - that very difficult to pull off look of having tried but not too hard....

Decisions decisions...

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 25-Sep-12 20:23:42

Thing is I've got a white co navy cape/poncho thing. I've had it for a couple of years and I don't wear it loads because of similar issues to cardi-coat. But when I do wear it I love it and think I'll wear it for years and years.

Also I do use my cardi-coat as a bit of a modern housecoat so I'm cosy at home but don't look too hideous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now