Talk

Advanced search

How do I get rid of the vintage smell ....

(10 Posts)
Lovewearingjeans Tue 25-Sep-12 15:43:04

Out of my vintage handbag? Febreze?

notMarlene Tue 25-Sep-12 15:51:03

Pop some fresh coffee in it (in a muslin bag or the leg of some tights or the like) zip it up and wait a couple of days.

notMarlene Tue 25-Sep-12 15:56:29

Oh, and if you can put a bowl of chopped onion in it ( in the bowl )overnight before you do the coffee thing then success is pretty much guaranteed.

horsebiscuit Tue 25-Sep-12 16:35:27

I do febreze then leave it outside for a couple of days. When it's not raining, obviously.

notMarlene Tue 25-Sep-12 16:38:09

Don't you find fabreeze tends to 'set' smells? I've had much more trouble getting things smelling fresh when I've blasted them with the stuff confused

But, yes, airing is definitely key.

chocolateteabag Tue 25-Sep-12 17:21:37

Bicarbonate of soda works on my smelly trainers

A couple of table spoons into the bag and leave overnight. Shake out most of the detail and then Hoover out the last bits.

SpicyPear Tue 25-Sep-12 17:29:32

DM swears by diluted Lavender and Orange Oil Dettol sprayed on stuff to remove smells. Obviously not suitable for all materials though and would need a patch test.

I want someone to try it and report back it because I am scared and DM is a bit crackers!

Bienchen Tue 25-Sep-12 17:49:45

Bicarb of soda in a muslin cloth.

Lovewearingjeans Tue 25-Sep-12 18:22:12

Thanks for the tips everyone. Will try them and let you know.

Catsmamma Tue 25-Sep-12 18:25:53

isn't the freezer supposed to be good for smelly shoes/trainers? ... that would work with a bag too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now