Talk

Advanced search

Help! Leg covering for a winter cocktail party?

(5 Posts)
DiscretionGuaranteed Tue 25-Sep-12 15:08:13

I'm out to a v posh party on Saturday (DH's work colleagues), and need to look good. Got lovely knee length dress and choice of shoes, but what does one wear on one's legs nowadays? Myfirst instinct is to go for sheer 7 denier black/charcoal but M&S were all out and I started to feel that it was a bit of a late 20th century look.

Nude tights? Black opaques? (not for an evening party surely?) Can't really wear patterned tights as dress has big print. Don't fancy nude fishnets before someone suggests that. Too cold for bare legs.

Dress is silver grey with a pattern, shoes are either black or red depending on my mood on the day. I'm a short size 12 and 40-something - legs aren't bad but I'd feel silly in high fashion.

Help, please?

DiscretionGuaranteed Tue 25-Sep-12 18:01:34

Bump? Please? This is a genuine S&B emergency.

For V posh, I do tend towards nude tights especially with coloured shoes. I know a lot of people hate nude tights though but we have about 3 days a year up here where you can go bare legged!

Whether you can get away with opaques (with the black shoes) would really depend on the dress - if it's a jersey type fabric probably ok, but if it's more of a silky/cocktail gown then I would say no.

DiscretionGuaranteed Tue 25-Sep-12 18:22:34

Thanks Stat. It's silky - very much a cocktail dress.

PoshPaula Tue 25-Sep-12 20:21:20

For this sort of do, in the autumn and winter, I do wear good quality black opaques. Wolford or something similar. They look good with a black or silver, or navy party dress (yes, really). I would also wear nude or nude fishnets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now