Talk

Advanced search

So what do school kids wear on their feet in winter?

(17 Posts)
RamblingRosa Tue 25-Sep-12 13:14:55

DD's just started reception. I've got the school shoes bit sorted but not sure what to do about winter boots. Usually I would get her some warm, waterproof, winter boots but they all tend to be brown/other colours. The school shoes rule is black.

I've never really noticed what school kids wear in the winter. Is it ok to wear brown boots? Are they expected to get changed into school shoes when they get there? Or do I need to find some warm, black boots?

willyoulistentome Tue 25-Sep-12 13:18:02

..mine just wear their school shoes. It's not cold in shool you know.

CointreauVersial Tue 25-Sep-12 13:20:07

The same shoes they wear all year round!

If there was actually snow on the ground they would walk in in wellies, then change at the door, but apart from that they just wear shoes.

The school lets them put trainers on for outdoor play, but that's all. I don't know of any schools that allow boots in winter.

Wearsuncream Tue 25-Sep-12 13:20:53

Mine also just wear normal school shoes - BUT my local Clarks only had the open foot girls shoes as school shoes - so my DD often gets wet/dirty feet/socks which is very very annoying so will probably get her some other shoes or boots too.

LoveMyBoots Tue 25-Sep-12 13:36:22

What is it with those Mary Jane shoes for girls? DD asked me who decides what sort of shoes girls wear sad Do they just assume girls walk along in a protective bubble and not get wet/muddy?

onetiredGelfmummy Tue 25-Sep-12 13:37:51

If its wet or snowy we wear appropriate boots then change them at the school gate/in the classroom for normal shoes smile

SavoyCabbage Tue 25-Sep-12 13:39:25

I don't think it would be comfy wearing boots all day long in the classroom.

TapselteerieO Tue 25-Sep-12 13:45:07

These would be fine, I tend to buy my children proper winter boots, but we live in the NE of Scotland and I know they get a lot of wear out of them - no strict uniform policy though.

Jinx1906 Tue 25-Sep-12 13:47:13

DD likes Kickers for school.

RamblingRosa Tue 25-Sep-12 19:18:11

Thanks. Seems the consensus is normal shoes then - maybe wear boots in when snowy/very cold and get changed when she gets there. I can stop stressing about finding black boots then smile

moonstorm Tue 25-Sep-12 20:25:50

these for wellies

anniebunny Tue 25-Sep-12 20:30:32

My kids' school has an indoor shoes/outdoor shoes policy so all the kids from reception upwards have to change into plimsoles/crocs/slippers when they go inside. DD has Goretex winter boots for outdoor shoes in the winter and changes into her 'indoors' when she gets to school. Almost all of the girls Clarks shoes are totally unsuitable in the winter, I can't believe that so many of your kids wear them!

RamblingRosa Thu 27-Sep-12 11:17:05

I agree re. suitability of girls' shoes. DD's (Mary-Jane style) school shoes are fine for dry days but I can't imagine wearing them when it's wet and cold. So much more of the foot is exposed than on boys's shoes.

I think I've got a bit of a thing about it because I suffer from really cold feet (Raynaud's syndrome) so I assume that everyone else does too. If I'm wearing thermal socks and big fleece lined boots, I feel a bit mean sending my DD out in a pair of flimsy Mary-Janes and tights!

Anyway, she's got wellies for wet but not so cold days and I've ordered some warm winter boots which she can get changed out of when she gets to school.

Hulababy Thu 27-Sep-12 11:28:41

DD is 10y and has always just has normal school shoes. She will wear a pair of wellies with welly socks to school if it is wet/snow but changes back into her shoes on arrival. Black school shoes are part of her school uniform.

If you do buy wellies/snow boots do consider a change of footwear for when they get there. We have so many children complain because of this every winter - wellies are uncomfortable and not suitable for a day in school, and big winter boots , esp snow boots, are too warm.

piratecat Thu 27-Sep-12 11:35:04

the choice for girls school shoes is rubbish.

dd 10 can't wear those mary jane types as needs more support for her wide flat feet. I went o the head and said, dd will be wearing boots, they may be brown if i can't find black ones

dreading secondary as they are not allowed boots, and dd can't fit into preppy little shoes.

ByTheWay1 Thu 27-Sep-12 11:42:19

just try different places - my daughter wears brogue type lace ups - always has due to an insert for foot trouble.... just make sure they can tie them first.

And - do you know what - some "boys" shoes are just fine for girls too!

Pavlovthecat Thu 27-Sep-12 11:44:29

same as in the summer! But she takes welly boots which she wears on route to and from school. And keeps them there for wet play, not that she ever remembers to wear them then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now