Talk

Advanced search

Hairbrushes

(16 Posts)
Sheldonella Tue 25-Sep-12 11:47:07

I've just realised how tatty and horrible mine is. Which are the best brushes to buy? I usually use a paddle brush on my longish thick hair.

In an effort to improve the condition of my hair I actually decided I wanted to brush it less as it felt like I was always hacking through the knots. Then after seeing threads on here I got a tangle teezer - and its amazing - only a few strokes and its sleek. I use it together with a wide toothed comb to create my parting and also when I want that massagy/hard feeling against my scalp (the tangle teezer is very soft)

squoosh Tue 25-Sep-12 15:33:16

People always say Mason & Pearson. Not cheap but will probably last till you only have five wispy hairs left on your head.

Itsgottabebags Tue 25-Sep-12 16:34:29

Mason and Pearson are good. Think you can get a smaller brush for under thirty quid

Plumpcious Tue 25-Sep-12 17:02:06

I also use a paddle brush (long thick hair). I started with a large Kent. Nice pattern but it wore off in places, and the brush was prone to cracking near the handle. So when I needed a replacement I tried a Denman instead. It's all black so not as pretty as the Kent, but at least it doesn't have a pattern to wear off and look tatty. Also no sign of cracking, and I've been using it for years now. So if you want to stick with a paddle brush, I would recommend the Denman.

SilverSixpence Tue 25-Sep-12 17:03:04

They quite often have nice brushes in TK Maxx

Sheldonella Tue 25-Sep-12 19:24:49

Ooh lots to look at. Thanks!

Freshletticiaandslugs Tue 25-Sep-12 20:30:26

We have the Body Shop. Big paddle brushes. Fab for detangling http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/hair/brushes-combs/paddle-hairbrush.aspx

Freshletticiaandslugs Tue 25-Sep-12 20:30:39

www.thebodyshop.co.uk/hair/brushes-combs/paddle-hairbrush.aspx

EldonAve Tue 25-Sep-12 20:35:45

I like the Kent Hedgehog ones
For the kids I use the tangle teaser

peterrabbitismyfriend Tue 25-Sep-12 21:14:39

i've had my mason and pearson hairbrush for over 20 years and it's still going strong.

really really recommend. they are amazing!

worth the investment. still works a treat. gets all tangles out. top brush!

madmomma Tue 25-Sep-12 22:20:16

I have a denman paddle and a huge mason pearson boar bristle one. The denman is fabulous, and the m+p is lovely, but very soft, so takes a slightly different technique to get the tangles out IYSWIM.

crazyaccountant Tue 25-Sep-12 22:37:42

Aveda paddle brush or Philip Kingsley paddle brush are my faves, have both and have been very hard wearing.
www.aveda.co.uk/product/5292/16651/Hair-Care/BrushesAccessories/Aveda-Wooden-Paddle-Brush/index.tmpl

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?Type=SKU&Id=230617326

Sheldonella Wed 26-Sep-12 09:29:50

I love the look of the wooden ones, I'm going to look at those at lunch time. I'm now lusting after a mason pearson one though, that might have to go on my xmas list.

OrangeHorraceTheGoldenOtter Wed 26-Sep-12 09:37:18

Yep, mason pearson! Amazing things! Had mine for 14 years so far and the same as when I got it. Which is lucky as I have a lot of hair and no way could I justify the cost of a large one now sad

Can i ask how you look after and clean a paddle brush?
Have had in the past (albeit cheaper copies from boots) and tended to be unable to clean so have thrown away.
Do you use them for all brushing - wet hair, blow drying, dry hair?

thanks...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now