Talk

Advanced search

Please sort out my cold legs so I can carry on wearing dresses!!

(10 Posts)
TwiggysGoneOnHolidayByMistake Tue 25-Sep-12 09:40:35

I have just got into wearing dresses and got some nice smart ones that I want to carry on wearing through autum/winter but it's too cold for bare legs now. I hate wearing tights. My stomach is hugely out of proportion to the rest of me, and I'm only 5 ft 3, so if I get tights large enough to go over my tummy then they're all baggy and Nora Battyish and uncomfortable. Would maternity tights work, I wonder? And then there's leggings. I always thought that leggings under dresses wouldn't work on a, ahem, larger lady like myself 'cos of being skin-tight - but then leggings are really going to look the same as opaque tights, aren't they? Do leggings make you look chunkier than opaque tights?

TwiggysGoneOnHolidayByMistake Tue 25-Sep-12 17:09:52

Bumpity-bump...

fluffydressinggown Tue 25-Sep-12 17:14:28

Leggings are a good alternative to tights - I hate tights because they always fall down but leggings are much comfier and seem to stay in place.

Wuxiapian Tue 25-Sep-12 17:32:12

I much prefer leggings and they'll be replacing tights this winter.

Northernlurkerisbackatwork Tue 25-Sep-12 17:36:19

I am a size 22 and I wear leggings because they are MUCH more comfortable than tights, warmer and wear better. Your feet are also warmer because you wear socks on them. Do they make you look chunkier? I don't know. what I do know is that I would be kidding myself if I thought tights made my legs look thin so I tend to go for 'sod it' and be warm and comfortable!

Northernlurkerisbackatwork Tue 25-Sep-12 17:37:02

Oh and I'm 5 ft 3 too - no tights made are made for women of our proportions OP!

TwiggysGoneOnHolidayByMistake Tue 25-Sep-12 17:46:37

Do leggings look ok with socks then?

LOL, NorthernLurker, great point about tights not making you look thin grin

Northernlurkerisbackatwork Tue 25-Sep-12 17:52:21

Socks are fine if you're wearing boots which I always do.

howcomes Tue 25-Sep-12 17:58:12

Stockings or hold ups? Bhs and m&s stock thick opaque ones.

trixymalixy Tue 25-Sep-12 20:17:36

Primark do fleece lined tights. I think M&S may do them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now