Talk

Advanced search

Capsule wardrobe: how many outfits?

(10 Posts)
issimma Tue 25-Sep-12 09:20:19

I'm trying to make a capsule wardrobe of things I like and things that suit me, but have the added challenge of this being for post natal days from november (so cold weather).

My days will be spent with 21mo and newborn at home/toddler groups/library/park. I hate being cold, but also hate being bundled up, so am thinking of thermal layers and cashmere tights.

I was thinking of making sure I have 5 outfits, a waterproof coat, waterproof bag (--cath kidston shoot me now--), ballet flats, wellies and these ankle boots

WDYR?

Will shop my wardrobe and come back with the 5 outfit list/gaps in it.

IShallPracticeMyCurtsey Tue 25-Sep-12 10:57:35

Will you be breastfeeding? If so can you source some decent quality longline thermal vests to go under your tops and T-shirts as a base layer? (Don't know if any exist with the requisite snappy straps!)

Personally I'm not sure I'd prioritise ballet flats over comfortable brogues/loafers or even just Converse. But that's because I find it very difficult to find comfortable ballet flats that I don't freeze in. I suffer badly from the cold also.

I have unearthed a brilliant item from my wardrobe. It's a 100% wool blazer from Australian label Witchery. Approx 7 years old at this stage but has kept its neat little shape really well. It's smart but oh my God so warm. It's charcoal grey so tends to blend in with most items/outfits really well. Would be perfect for drafty libraries or toddler groups IMO.

stillwaitingforthesummer Tue 25-Sep-12 11:13:24

I don't think that 5 outfits sounds very much with a 21 month old and a newborn. When I was at that stage I could easily get through 5 outfits a day!! (Sicky baby, messy toddler). I'd want to make sure that you had numerous changes of top half; I had loads of T shirts and cardies and still felt that I was washing constantly.

I love the boots, though. I think I agree with Curtsey re the ballet flats, although I love mine, something a bit sturdier might be more practical - loafers / brogues? I also have a wool blazer along the lines of Curtsey's from Avoca (bought pre-children), it is SO snuggly and worn constantly (off to pop it on now for pre-school pick-up).

issimma Tue 25-Sep-12 11:16:28

thanks both - a wool blazer is now on the list!

You're right, I may struggle with 5 outfits - I'm thinking more of 5 presentable outfits that make me feel human. I have a stash of Ts and jumpers that I don't really like but will do when kicking around home. Trying to save money for next summer when I'll be slim hmm.

issimma Tue 25-Sep-12 11:17:17

Oh, and am going to get a cheap pair of ballet flats. Not great for winter, but will do until due date and post-CS when I can't bend to do shoes up!

QueenBeebread Tue 25-Sep-12 11:39:16

Am watching with interest as I have a real mixed bag of a wardrobe which is rarely as together as I'd like thanks to DS1 and DS2...

If you aren't breastfeeding, I'd have a loose warm dress on the list. Especially post CS it's nice not to have a waistband and makes a change to the T-shirt and jeans uniform. I had something like this breton dress which I wore to death with a scarf, woolly tights and Uggs or tan ankle boots.

I'd also heartily recommend Ilse Jacobsen short welly boots. Much easier to slip on and off when you have a baby on your hip than long wellies.

issimma Tue 25-Sep-12 11:50:48

Love the dress queen grin.
I also like this one from Hush and am waiting to see what this Boden one is like in RL. Both short-sleeved though, but I guess layering Ts and cardis will help.

issimma Tue 25-Sep-12 15:35:19

My Boden order came but is going straight back. Two perfectly nice tunics but 100% cotton - shame they arrived today as it's freezing! Looking for wool ones now - have ordered the P8 linked below smile

stillwaitingforthesummer Tue 25-Sep-12 17:06:42

I just received the asos wool dress recommended on another thread (can't link - will reply and bump), it is fab! I'm going to wear it with tights and boots and also black skinny jeans (I'm about 5'2 and size 8 everywhere other than round my tummy, which is still most definitely a 10 - I ordered the size 10 and it is fine).

issimma Tue 25-Sep-12 17:38:43

Thanks - just looked but it'll be too short for me sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now