Talk

Advanced search

Black Tie/Ball Dress emergency!

(15 Posts)

Soooo, I decided to try on my new ball dress for saturday (not sure if link will work but it was this) and the bloody zip broke - badly. Stroppy email demanding refund has now been sent after having to cut the zip to get it off!

But, this means I am now dress-less for a work ball on Saturday! Crisis! I am fatter than I was pre-baby (ok, toddler) so I have NOTHING else I can wear. Seriously thinking about not going and feeling pretty damn shit about myself right now sad

I'm 26, 5'6, roughly a 14 but kind of Christina Hendricks shape - big (30H/HH) boobs, decent waist, big hips and sadly a pretty bad but quite low tummy (I'd love to blame that on the c-section but it's just accentuated where I naturally carry weight) so I don't want anything that is super clingy/tight across the lower tummy/hip area although I do have spanx! Unless the dress is very well made I will need to be able to wear a bra, but I have the Wonderbra ultimate so strapless is an option, it's just super low backs etc that are a problem.

I'm probably a winter colouring - close to black hair, pale skin - so I suit black and bold colours. Pastels not so much.

I have shoes and accessories coming out my ears, so it's the dress that's vital. I'd rather not spend more than £250.

Suggestions please stylish ones!

notMarlene Mon 24-Sep-12 21:15:37

Get thee to a seamstress!

lurkingaround Mon 24-Sep-12 21:19:04

Terrible!
Have you looked at Mango?

notMarlene Mon 24-Sep-12 21:24:27

black again?

Seamstress is the back up option, but there was also a slightly odd bulge in the zip over my bum (I have quite a deep curve in my spine and a big butt!) so I think I would need to get the zip removed entirely and maybe replaced with a zip up back - which I'm reluctant to do when the thing is brand new!

lurkingaround Mon 24-Sep-12 21:36:03

I'd be reluctant to start messing with your dress too. It's brand spanking new, from a reputable brand and wasn't cheap! Unacceptable.

FauxFox Mon 24-Sep-12 21:37:38

biba
coast
planet
karen millen

Thanks for your suggestions! I adore the Biba one - I'd looked at it before but I don't know if I could get a bra under it. HOF is just round the corner though so I may nip round and try it. The Karen Millen would be great if the split wasn't so high (I'd need spanx and they're long!)

FairPhyllis Mon 24-Sep-12 22:25:32

Mango silver
Black strapless
Floral silky

Phase Eight in black or purple
Red
Green but you'd need one of those crossover at the back bras.

The mango silver one is very pretty - I wonder if it would have enough boob space? With long dresses I need them to nip in underneath (cos my boobs are huge) or I look a bit like a ship in full sail smile

The black is lovely too...also on the list!

I found this which I love but can't decide if it might be too boob-flashing? also like this karen millen but not sure if it will be too cruel on my tummy?

FairPhyllis Tue 25-Sep-12 08:56:02

I quite like the grey Karen Millen one, but I'd want to know how far the split goes up in case I was risking having Angelina Jolie stylee leg.

Or more worrying, spanx flashage!

Lavenderhoney Tue 25-Sep-12 16:05:43

Monsoon laurton dress is nice and in purple ( dark) which could be lovely. Have you tried a dress hire place fr ball gowns, like carriages at three? They are very reasonable and can have lovely unique dresses? How awful about your dress. Hope you sort somethingsmile

Lavenderhoney Tue 25-Sep-12 16:28:52

The ghost website has a good sale in long evening dresses too...

I've ordered the red project d one to try on next day delivery- if that's awful that still gives me a couple of days to panic! Currently trying to get my money back for the first one- I do resent expensive dresses having crap nylon zips! Will check out those suggestions, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now