Talk

Advanced search

How the flip do I get this gel stuff off????

(6 Posts)
ilovedaddypig Mon 24-Sep-12 14:28:51

Had my toenails done with a Shellac/ gel type nail polish at some pamper evening I went to at DS's nursery. I was really impressed with the finish - have got a good four/ five weeks wear out of it with no chips, but now you can see where my nails have grown and there's a bare patch at the bottom. But, I can't get it off!! It laughs in the face of my usual nail polish remover, even though that contains acetone. Have I got to go and get them done again, just to get it off? I'd defo have it done again in summer or for holidays, it's just a habit I can't really afford to maintain through winter!
Ta!

theladylovescupcakes Mon 24-Sep-12 14:34:14

I think the idea is to soak small pads of cotton wool in polish remover, cover each nail with a piece, then wrap in foil and leave for a wee while, 15 mins? This should soften the polish but it'll probably still need to be scraped off.

Happy to be corrected if there's a better way, I'm having my toes done soon for my hols!

CrispyHedgehog Mon 24-Sep-12 14:35:13

buy a bottle of acetone from the chemist and soak pieces of cotton wool and stick them on the toes for about 10 mins each.. in the salon they also wrap them in foil to stop the acetone drying too fast.

crazybutterflylady Mon 24-Sep-12 15:05:34

Yep pure acetone is the only way if you do it yourself.

londonone Mon 24-Sep-12 16:08:43

Also use a buffer/ nail file to just take off the top layer owlish then do the acetone and foil thinh

Mumelie Mon 24-Sep-12 17:58:48

Go the acetone, cotton wool and foil route. Don't peel it off like I did taking top layer of nail with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now