Talk

Advanced search

So, just when I was finally about to trade in my bootcut jeans for skinnies/straight cut...

(12 Posts)
CharlieMouseWillDoIt Sun 23-Sep-12 22:05:05

... should I not actually bother?

I'm a pear shape, so the received wisdom is that bootcuts are flattering, but I want to update my wardrobe with some straight legs/skinnies (if I dare!). Now it seems that bootcuts are coming back into style again.

Gah! This is me all over. Always about 5 years behind the times.

dexter73 Mon 24-Sep-12 07:55:24

People aren't going to suddenly stop wearing straights/skinnies just as they didn't stop wearing bootcuts when skinnies came in. If you fancy a change then try some other styles and see what they look like.

Fuckitthatlldo Mon 24-Sep-12 08:15:33

I think that what actually suits you is more important than what's in fashion.

Skinny jeans don't actually look terribly good on the majority of the female population. I know the received wisdom on here is that bootcuts are frumpy, but they do balance the figure out.

Straight cut jeans were the first original jean to be made. I personally love them - I think they look classier than skinnys, and more up to date than boot-cut.

DonaAna Mon 24-Sep-12 08:15:58

I wouldn't bother with skinnies - they will not flatter your shape and are on their way out - why would you want to be a very late adopter of a dying trend? If you fancy straight-legs, they are a classic item and perhaps a safer choice.

I'm pear shaped and boot cut look awful on me, they make my legs look fat all the way down instead of just the top part which can be concealed under long tops with skinnies / straights, so I'm not going over to boot cut any time soon.

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 24-Sep-12 09:30:37

I have big arse, it's such a pain finding trousers that fit that I just keep comfy ones until they fall apart.

Leg shape isn't an issue, excerpt no wide or boyfriend, I'm too short and Luik like a cube.

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 24-Sep-12 09:31:53

Sorry autocorrect has gone loopy, can't work out where that spelling came fromconfused

CharlieMouseWillDoIt Mon 24-Sep-12 13:38:36

Yep, think straight legged is the way to go. I definitely don't want to be a very late adopter of a dying trend, esp. with skinnies that won't suit me.

AchingMum Mon 24-Sep-12 14:33:13

Skinnies are a dying trend? What? Really?

dexter73 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:40:10

Skinnies aren't a dying trend. They will be in the shops for years just like bootcuts.

SundaeGirl Mon 24-Sep-12 18:57:21

I spend my days on a university campus and if skinnies are going out then no one told the 10,000 girls here. There's a few years in this yet, especially rolled up/Capri types.

racingheart Mon 24-Sep-12 22:53:25

I agree that quite narrow straight legs are the most flattering for hefty pear shapes. Bootcut jeans make me look like a sturdy carthorse and I wouldn't inflict my legs in skinnies on the world, but on a good day, fairly narrow straight legs with heels take a few pounds off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now