Talk

Advanced search

does anyone have any advice about wigs?

(7 Posts)
crazy88 Sun 23-Sep-12 20:47:34

I have had a (series of) disastrous haircuts lately and I have a wedding coming up in less than 2 weeks, basically my (ex)hairdresser has cut horrible blunt layers into my hair, which is only just below jaw length so no change of wearing it up. I was wondering about a 3/4 length wig which I could then wear up, or a clip in hair piece maybe (although not sure the latter would work as the layers are prob too short to be convincingly pinned back.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Help!

ToothGah Sun 23-Sep-12 21:59:43

If you've got just below chin length layers - can't you pull just the front layers back across the top of your head and clip them back? Then perhaps some hair extensions on clips to give some length underneath?

My layers are chin length at the front and I wear them clipped up sometimes, they are definitely long enough (checks mirror for face the length of a horse!)

KillerRack Sun 23-Sep-12 22:02:18

I know from an acquaintance who uses them that ones from Hong Kong , far east are often good value.

crazy88 Tue 25-Sep-12 16:17:15

Thanks.. the overall length is just below my chin but the shortest layers are above my eyeline sad

As wedding is next week I fear anything from Hong Kong won't get here in time... sad

IamtheZombie Tue 25-Sep-12 16:38:40

This may sound like a crazy suggestion, but try contacting the oncology unit at your nearest hospital and asking them who supplies the wigs for their chemotherapy patients.

I had chemo earlier in the year and I was absolutely amazed at the choice on offer and the quality.

crazy88 Tue 25-Sep-12 20:47:52

Thanks guys smile

TalkieToaster Tue 25-Sep-12 22:24:15

I had cancer earlier this year and I got quite good at wigs, clip-ins, etc. I wouldn't do a full wig as they don't sit right if you have your own hair unless it's cropped very close to your head. They're also very hot. I'd recommend a long ponytail with a clap grip, designed to just clip onto your hair,

Get a wide fabric headband and put that on so it's pulling your hair back from your face. Then pin the rest of your hair back, into a bun shape if you can, or a little nub at least, but if there isn't enough, just pin it flat. Then get the hair piece and turn it sideways so the claw is horizontal and secure it to the bun/nub of hair/wherever. Then you kind of swirl the ponytail around the clip and up and around the rest of your hair, pinning it as you go. You're left with a messy updo that looks quite elegant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now