Talk

Advanced search

Teenage skin

(19 Posts)
supermodel Sun 23-Sep-12 20:15:49

Can anyone recommend suitable products for 12 year old dd's prone to spots skin? Was using my skin range from Tesco which seems to have been discontinued and we are struggling to find something which isn't too drying. Needs facewash and moisturiser.

steben Sun 23-Sep-12 20:23:16

Not sure of the price range and can't link because I am on phone but dermalogica and Clinique both do a range for teenage skin. I think the dermalogica one is called clean skin and they do starter packs. Try the channel island companies usually lot cheaper and free delivery. For what it's worth I would have loved my mum to have taken an interest in my skin it was awful in my teens and I wasted lots of pocket money on crappy boots products!

MadameCastafiore Sun 23-Sep-12 20:30:55

Dermalogica is good but not cheap. Aime is good, can buy in Waitrose and Boots. Elizabeth's Daughter is fab too.

Dd uses Demalogica but thats because I do and it's just easier to grab it all at once.

ElectricMonk Sun 23-Sep-12 20:55:01

For facewash, the best thing I have ever found is Lloyd's Pharmacy Aqueous Cream, massaged in and then removed with warm water and cotton wool pads - it's very gentle, non-drying, cleans better than anything else I've tried and it's really cheap (about £1 per tube). It removes make-up wonderfully too. I had quite acne-prone skin in my teens, and it cleared up really quickly as soon as I started using that.

Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser (£8 from Boots) is really lovely as well, but doesn't remove make-up as effectively.

Avene Skin Recovery Cream is my favourite moisturiser - it helps dry skin, redness and little marks from spots to heal much faster without blocking pores. It's a bit pricey (£12) but worth it IMO, and if she started using Aqueous Cream as facewash then the cost would balance out.

ElectricMonk Sun 23-Sep-12 20:55:48

BTW, just thought I'd add - Boots does Aqueous Cream too, but theirs is much more stiff and irritated my skin so I think the Lloyd's version is probably milder.

member Sun 23-Sep-12 21:04:01

I started my dd1 (11) on the Dermalogica Clean Start; I bought the variety pack & have just re-stocked on the facewash & moisturiser. She's not wearing make up though so there's no issue about whether it effectively removes make up or not. Again. I'm a Dermalogica user with a past rooted in Clearasil!

MadameCastafiore Sun 23-Sep-12 21:05:57

Some people are allergic to aqueous cream so be careful.

lurkingaround Sun 23-Sep-12 21:08:31

What about Avène or la Roche Posay? Both are recommended for sensitive skin and do many ranges. Efaclar (sp? Maybe Effaclar) is the LRP one for spot prone skin, my niece uses it, finds it great. I use the Avène wash for oily skin (Cleanance), I really like it.

Wolfiefan Sun 23-Sep-12 21:09:37

Liz Earle do a range that could suit.

chocolatespiders Sun 23-Sep-12 21:11:34

www.boots.com/en/Neutrogena-Visibly-Clear-Spot-Stress-Control-Daily-Scrub-150ml_1114067/

www.boots.com/en/Neutrogena-Visibly-Clear-Spot-Stress-Control-Hydrating-Spot-Treatment-40ml_1114065/

This is a really good range, and is 2 for £5.00 atm which I discovered on Thursday when restocking for DD it wasn't promoted on the shelf though I only knew when I went through the till smile

Salylic acid in it does the job. I also bought dd some cream from Amazon, will find name of it for you.

chocolatespiders Sun 23-Sep-12 21:13:59

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0015X5YLG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I bought this one but it now is saying out of stock sad

DazR Sun 23-Sep-12 21:14:08

There have been warnings about using aqueous cream due to it thinning the skin and also actually aggravating skin conditions. Many articles if you google 'aqueous cream warning'.

FreddieMercurysBolero Sun 23-Sep-12 21:19:15

No to aqueous cream, it is comodegenic (blocks pores). Neutrogena foaming wash is quite good, and is Quinoderm facewash, which I think is over the counter, but I buy it on Amazon. If her skin is a little dry, use an oil free moisturiserlike the Neutrogena one or Olay day cream is also good.

RedRosie Sun 23-Sep-12 21:35:27

There is a nice, good value, range of stuff in Boots - the brand is Good Things - which has less nasties in (no parabens, no sodium laurel sulphate for example). I would give that a try, having tried it and passed some on to my DSD.

RedRosie Sun 23-Sep-12 21:37:39

Meant to post the link:

http://www.goodthingsbeauty.com/

ElectricMonk Sun 23-Sep-12 21:53:17

As far as I've read, Aqueous Cream is fine for its originally intended purpose (cleansing), it's just not recommended any more to leave it on the skin as a moisturiser because of the cleansing agents it contains. I have very intolerant, acne-prone and eczema-prone skin and it is the only cleanser other than Avene that doesn't irritate my skin or cause spots. It might be worth a try as long as it's removed thoroughly, as any cleanser should be - it was the only thing strong enough to remove makeup that wasn't too harsh for me.

cerealqueen Sun 23-Sep-12 22:52:18

How about a buff puff sponge (amazon still sell) and dove sensitive soap? This combo saved my teenage skin. I also rate neutrogenia moisturisers as they don't clog pores.

supermodel Mon 24-Sep-12 19:22:28

Thank you so much for your answers. Dd and I grateful.

NettoSuperstar Mon 24-Sep-12 19:39:24

Oil cleansing method, with jojoba oil.
Was recommended to me on here for 11yr old DD with awful skin and it has helped a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now