Talk

Advanced search

what kind of skirt would suit me?

(10 Posts)
waitingtobeamummy Sun 23-Sep-12 20:02:48

Any help appreciated. Lost a fair bit if weight so getting used to a new shape. I like wearing tunics and leggings and i have dresses sorted but skirts are an issue.
I am size 16/18 5ft 6. Hourglass with big boobs and a bum. Weight loss means I have a bit of a saggy belly (without it I'd be size 14/16 so I'm exercising lots)
I so far have one skirt, a denim one that I wear with thick tights or leggings.
I'd like a casual skirt and if possible one for work too (i have to wear a suit jacket for work and no denim but not a suit iyswim.
Would any skirts suit me and what could I wear with them?

mummywithnosleep Sun 23-Sep-12 20:07:35

what about the 50´s shape?

I´m taller than you, but have similar shape (I think)

I have a couple of "a-line skirts" that I LOVE

I also have a couple of really long maxi skirts which work well with vests etc on the top. Bit bohemia

I also have a couple of pencil skirts but you have to in my experience buy very good quality ones to get one that looks half decent, and maybe with your height they may not work so well.

How formal is your office?

Dollydowser Sun 23-Sep-12 20:19:29

Skirts that end at the narrowest point, so that's probably knees. Straightish or very slightly A line, with a side or back zip. But don't ask me where to find them this season, I am fed up with looking! I am same size/shape as you, and when I went shopping with a personal stylist she found me a fab skirt in Hobbs, but sadly their skirts are just so damned expensive!

waitingtobeamummy Sun 23-Sep-12 20:22:50

Hi mummy I have a couple of 1950's dresses from lady v that are lovely but I'm not sure about what tops I'd wear with 50's skirts?
Like the idea of maxi skirts but not sure which ones/if I'm brave enough.
I work in a secondary school. The criteria is office/formal wear. But as long as you wear a jacket they are quite liberal but has to be smart.

Itsgottabebags Sun 23-Sep-12 20:37:13

Pencil skirts- make the most of your curves?

mirpuppet Sun 23-Sep-12 20:43:37

Dollydowser what skirt was it?

Did you enjoy the personal stylist?

waitingtobeamummy Sun 23-Sep-12 20:44:09

I'm worried about pencil skirts that they'd just emphasise my belly.

waitingtobeamummy Sun 23-Sep-12 20:46:05

Missed your post dolly sorry!
Could yoy link the hobbs one at all? So I have an idea of what to look for?

Dollydowser Sun 23-Sep-12 21:28:58

It was a few years ago, it was this one I wore it for a wedding with a black silk coast wrap top. But the shape was great, essentially a pencil skirt but didn't emphasise my belly, maybe because it has a lovely wide waistband. Also Hobbs cut is generous. It was also a straight skirt but didn't narrow too much at the knees.

I'm just having a hunt through their clearance to see if there are any similar shape. I like this one but still too expensive for me sadly.

Yes I loved the personal stylist, it for my 40th birthday, and I had not long stopped bf. When we met I was wearing black linen trousers and a long black shapeless tea shirt, my confidence was non existent. I came home with 3 outfits and along list of things that suit me/to look out for. And a massive smile on my face grin

waitingtobeamummy Mon 24-Sep-12 17:46:57

I do like the shape of the one you wore to the wedding- will look out for a skirt like that just to see how it looks on me-thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now