Talk

Advanced search

"Managing" your wardrobe!

(22 Posts)
CountryBelle Sun 23-Sep-12 17:18:25

This afternoon I thought I'd tackle the seasonal wardrobe switchover i.e. putting away summer clothes, looking out autumn-winter clothes.

Ahhhh I don't know where to begin! Can't make enough room in wardrobe for winter stuff. Alll my winter stuff from previous years justs looks "tired" (a bit like myself!) I seem to have so many bits and pieces which don't go with anything else so can't be worn.

And just the AMOUNT of stuff is overwhelming!!! I don't tend to buy high fashion items which go out of style, so i throw very little away.

Its obvious I need to start buying less clothes (terrible impulse buyer) and making better use of what I have.

Clothing consists mainly of basic jersey tees, cardigans, skirts, dresses. All smart-casual sort of style. Nothing very high fashion or very dressy. Have a tonne of scarves (light and woolly).

Someone please help me!! Give me some tips on wardrobe management!

CountryBelle Sun 23-Sep-12 17:21:33

Also meant to ask whay everyone does with clothes which are very un-seasonal (quite a lot of my things can be used throughout the year, with or without layers), but i mean things like sundresses / shorts etc.... Do you put it in the attic? How do you keep it wrinkle and dust free? U dont want to have to iron everything come spring / summer if possible! No spare room so hanging it in another wardrobe not an option :-(

ihatethecold Sun 23-Sep-12 17:31:14

Mine goes in a big suitcase under the bed.
When I swap things round. I look at the previous stuff and think. " I'm never gonna wear that" so now it is filled with a mixture of Summer and winter clothes confused

issimma Sun 23-Sep-12 17:33:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mirpuppet Sun 23-Sep-12 17:46:46

I store off season clothes in vacuum pack bags -- so there are wrinkles.

Yes on trying to buy less.

Yes on getting rid of tired things -- if you no longer like get rid of.

My revelation at 20 was when I meet a friend who mentioned white tee shirts always get stains; look yellow etc -- so each year she buys new and tosses. If yo are not doing high fashion that is totally doable for other things that get worn out looking like bobbly sweaters.

Bonsoir Sun 23-Sep-12 18:09:51

I find it really difficult to sort my whole wardrobe in one go. Since June I have sorted shoes/boots (and given many pairs to the charity bin), then underwear and tights/socks, which I threw away and replaced with lots of lovely new things from Princesse Tam-Tam and Falke, and I have recently sorted my trousers and given eight pairs to the charity bin. I am in the process of sorting my shirts/tops - I have about 10 to recycle.

I have started buying a few winter pieces to add to some of my existing clothes - I badly needed tops and have bought things to wear with existing trousers/skirts I know I'll wear this winter. I still need to buy a few new head-to-toe ensembles.

Nagoo Sun 23-Sep-12 18:21:50

I did it this week.

Why was i surprised that winter clothes take up far more room than summer ones? hmm

I keep a charity bag in the bottom of the wardrobe, I put stuff in there and leave it a few months before I let it go. I am throwing out more than I buy at the min. I want to get to a point where I have just enough, and where everything isn't creased due to being packed into the wardrobe.

I agree with Issimma. Be ruthless and you will be more content with your wardrobe. I have a lot less now, and I am spending a lot less as I identify the 'hole' I need to fill before I go shopping, so i am buying the specific thing I want/need rather than stuff on impluse.

Totally agree re replacing items you wear a lot but look tired. I live in black scoop neck t-shirts but try and buy a couple of new ones each year and get rid of old ones. I'm also trying to buy fewer things but better quality.

For winter wear, I find that thin layers re better for warmth than big thick jumpers and they also take up less room. I've got one huge thick cardigan which I can use in place of a coat on cold, dry days or instead of a dressing gown on cold Sunday afternoons etc (like now) but otherwise I've got rid of fat jumpers.

MarshaBrady Sun 23-Sep-12 18:30:57

I really need to do this and get rid of some stuff. I will when I have nice new AW stuff to replace things.

CountryBelle Sun 23-Sep-12 22:40:48

Thanks for advice everyone. I think I will try a wardrobe purge next weekend!

Nagoo, i am the exact same - i seem to have far more winter clothes! Summer clothes just a waste of money.
I also dream of having a streamlined wardrobe of fewer, but more loved, items. My clothes get terribly creased too as they're crammed in.

Sigh.

daisie4 Mon 24-Sep-12 08:18:50

I'm just in the process of doing this and am trying to write a shopping list. Could I ask - how many outfits do you aim for?

Bonsoir Mon 24-Sep-12 08:23:32

The number of outfits depends a bit on your lifestyle. I tend to think in number of outfits for each type of occasion I dress for eg three or four "going out" outfits per season, five or six "daily life" outfits, two or three "weekend" outfits.

DonaAna Mon 24-Sep-12 08:46:43

I would recommend the book 'You Are What You Wear' to fuel the sorting out part. You should definitely get rid of clothes that are faded, stained, not repairable or fit no longer.

But it's good to to remember that fashion is cyclical - I've suddenly gotten a lot of wear out of things that were fashionable in ca 2003 (high waisted skirts and pants look good with cropped tops) - and my old stuff is much better quality than what the high street offers nowadays. Am about to go to the cellar to salvage some more items that are back in fashion wink

I have a big cardboard removal box in the cellar that has a built-in clothes rack - all unseasonal items go there. On top of my wardrobe, I have large black IKEA storage boxes - enough space for hats, evening dresses, plus everything that would normally be stored in drawers (knits, tees etc).

Dollydowser Mon 24-Sep-12 09:18:18

How about having your colours done? Then you can chuck out anything that isn't the right colour for you and hopefully what's left will all tone beautifully!

wordfactory Mon 24-Sep-12 10:18:32

I think the key thing is to consider the life you actually lead, as opposed to the one you want to lead, or think you should.

For example, I walk my dog every day yet have business meetings relatively rarely. Ergo I have far greater need of a good pair of hunters and quilted jackets/waterproofs/hats/scarves than I do suits/tailored shirts etc. When ever I see the later, I try to remind myself of my real life, no matter how much I love it.

Think about what you actually do each day OP. These are the outfits you need to concentrate on.

wordfactory Mon 24-Sep-12 10:20:53

Otherwise you end up looking less than great for the majority of the time, because your wardrobe is stuffed with things you wear rarely.

MarshaBrady Mon 24-Sep-12 10:26:34

Yes I spend a lot of time walking my toddler grin and really need to get that one spot on. I need a warm short coat I don't sit on in the car and about to get some sort of waterproof boot.

Turquoiseblue Mon 24-Sep-12 10:41:03

i just sorted mine out recently

Summer wear shorts/ summer skirts/ summer maxi dresses etc in a bag in the attic
Repair / tidy up everything before it gets put away

Take out winter stuff-decide what goes with what, re heel boots etc/ sort out winter cardis/coat (i had a few that needed new zips or butons - also new buttons are a lovely way to brighten up last years cardi s!)

Bag in spare room for clothes for charity shop

issimma Mon 24-Sep-12 10:44:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GeorginaWorsley Mon 24-Sep-12 11:19:24

Agree with the more you have the less you wear.
I filled 4 charity bags and couple of Ebay bags last weekend.
Have tried to cull anything that was just ok,as opposed to wonderful.

MarshaBrady Mon 24-Sep-12 11:34:33

grin Issimma

fedupofnamechanging Mon 24-Sep-12 14:04:24

If you have clothes which are faded, but still a nice shape/flattering, perhaps you could dye them in the washing machine. I have done this with a cotton coat and t shirts.

Have also had boots resoled, which was way cheaper than buying new ones.

I keep the clothes I don't wear now, but will want next year, in storage bags under my bed. They are accessible but don't clutter up the wardrobe.

I think you have to be ruthless and get rid of stuff that you know you will never use again.

It's remarkably satisfying, having a good clothes sort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now