Talk

Advanced search

Zara sizing

(16 Posts)
Mmmchampagne Sun 23-Sep-12 15:52:38

I've got my eye on a few things on the Zara site but don't have much experience with their sizing so am looking for a bit of guidance.

The first is the linen long sleeved top - has anyone seen this in the flesh and would I be wise to size down to allow for stretching?

The second is a pair of cotton elastane skinny trousers.

I'm usually a UK size 10.

Any thoughts?

dexter73 Sun 23-Sep-12 16:27:00

I find their sizing to be a bit random. I am a 12 and have tops in a medium that are a bit big, yet have tried on some things in XL and they are too small.

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 16:33:11

I'm not small, 5 feet 9 but I find most of their trousers too long.
Tops are like Dexter said, a bit hit and miss.

Zwitterion Sun 23-Sep-12 18:13:05

If the linen top is anything like the short sleeved version, it will probably shrink in length through washing.

I'm a 12 ish, with enormous breastfeeding boobs, and I got the large. They are very loose and drapey.

SleepyFergus Sun 23-Sep-12 18:35:34

I bought both a long and short sleeves linen top this week in Zara. I am a standard size 12 and find the M size spot on. They do shrink in length a bit - I have the blue one that I bought last year - but they are very nice tops regardless. Excellent for layering with vests.

Mmmchampagne Sun 23-Sep-12 18:39:46

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was hoping it would be a bit easier than that! I guess I'll just have to order them and send them back if they are no good. Just hate the idea of paying for delivery when I might end up sending it all back again.

Annoying about the linen top, I'm long in the torso as it is and nothing irritates me more than a top that fits great when you buy it then shrinks up! sleepy, would you recommend buying up a size then if they shrink up?

isla, do the trousers fit ok everywhere else or do the tend to be a bit big all over?

AtaleOfTwoCities Sun 23-Sep-12 18:56:52

I'd say the trousers are big and generally all the clothing is quite big but I'm a shorty! I've always bought size small bottoms and xs jackets and s tops. Don't think the sizes are random and I'm certain of my size there.
Over a certain amount the p&p is free not sure how much. Returns are free so you can order a couple of
For trousers it may depend of style/material whether they stretch or not ? I'd still say small if you're going for the material of the ones you mention.

trixymalixy Sun 23-Sep-12 19:27:51

I would say the sizing is small compared to other high st shops. Similar to H&M if you have tried clothes on in there before.

Mmmchampagne Sun 23-Sep-12 19:43:16

Ok...so I am 27" or 28" in Topshop jeans and size eight in Gap jeans. Usually I'd assume small in trousers but am not very curvy so sometimes they can not fit very well across my hips.

Might just have to bite the bullet, if I order a couple if sizes, not much to lose if returns are free smile

BreakOutTheKaraoke Sun 23-Sep-12 20:53:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BreakOutTheKaraoke Sun 23-Sep-12 20:54:56

Oh, and the basic linen Ts are generally oversized. The organic cotton basics are very popular and always look nice when people try them on, if you are after simple tshirts. Lots of people buy one then come back for lots of colours.

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 21:31:35

Mmmchampagne, I would say the trousers are small everywhere else.

SleepyFergus Sun 23-Sep-12 21:40:46

I wouldn't size up....I tried a L in the other day to see if the beige colour suited me (which it disappointingly didn't!) and it was way too big. For a size 10, I'd probably order a size S but also a M to compare. Sorry, I know that's a complete pain in the rear end and one reason why I hate ordering online! (I had a rare day with just my sleeping baby and was able to park close to Zara and satisfy my shopping needs! It had been too long!)

Millie1 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:45:31

I'm a 10 and ordered a small in the long sleeved linen top. Had to send it back as the sleeves were waaaay too tight hmm and I don't have big arms!!

AchingMum Sun 23-Sep-12 21:48:57

I'm usually an 8 on top (a 6 in Next or M&S because they are bigger) and I am always a S or XS in Zara for tops, depending on the cut over my boobs.

Mmmchampagne Sun 23-Sep-12 22:04:09

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback! I have gone for the S in the linen top - I looked at the sizing chart but it wasn't helpful at all taking into account what you have all said! Hopefully they turn out to be a little bit generous fitting on me and then if they shrink up when I wash them it won't be too annoying.

Unfortunately the trousers were out of stock in my size(s) but I did find a couple of nice cardigans instead... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now