Talk

Advanced search

Teeth Whitening - Home versus Dental Surgery

(9 Posts)
2catsand1rabbit Sun 23-Sep-12 15:42:43

Hi Ladies, has anyone successfully whitened their teeth at home? grin Or would you recommend going to a dental surgery. It's obviously cheaper to buy a home kit but which ones are the best?

DonaAna Mon 24-Sep-12 08:54:30

Whitestrips work well if you suffer from staining (tea, coffee, red wine). I use them regularly once about every 6 months or so and they make a big difference - use whitening toothpaste in-between to maintain the results. Have not noticed differences between different brands.

2catsand1rabbit Mon 24-Sep-12 11:01:40

Where do you buy these from Dona? I would like an overall whitening effect...

MissBoPeep Mon 24-Sep-12 11:29:54

I'd never use the strips.

You need to look after your teeth and gums.

I'm not sure that the strips are strong enough to really whiten teeth - if so, why are they sold OTC? ( or only from the US) but also, are they too strong? which means you could damage your gums.

They will whiten the fronts of your teeth, but trays from the dentist whiten the sides as well.

It depends how bad your teeth are. I had mine done at the dentists and she said my teeth were very yellow- old age not wine or tea/ coffee as don't drink either! I got a 50% improvement with trays over 2-3 weeks waering for 2 hrs a day.

2catsand1rabbit Tue 25-Sep-12 06:56:06

To be honest, mine have always been pretty white and people have often commented on them but I have noticed recently they have started to yellow. Also, I was telling my 3 year old to brush his teeth to make them white. As an example I brushed mine and said "look, what colour are mine?" and he said "they are lellow." I think I will buy the one that's on offer from Groupon at the moment.

osterleymama Sat 29-Sep-12 22:06:48

White strips work really well but they made my teeth a bit sensitive if I left them on too long. Noticed big difference in a week or so of regular use.

runmumrun Sat 29-Sep-12 22:35:19

I'm debating using whitening strips vs dentist vs DIY bleach trays like This
Strips and DIY trays will run to about the same cost, dentist will be around the £300 mark...big difference.

Charliefox Sun 30-Sep-12 09:45:45

Strips work fantastically well but make you slather and foam like a rabid dog, so best done in private

Dollydowser Sun 30-Sep-12 09:50:56

Moulds from the dentist are more expensive but you have them for life. No teeth whitening is permanent and with the moulds at least you can top up again. I have read some bad reports on the strips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now