Talk

Advanced search

A Massive Thank You to the amazing MrsLettuce

(20 Posts)
AGilchrist Sat 22-Sep-12 20:12:36

evening all,

I had a thread here a while ago asking for ideas of dresses to attend dhs sisters wedding.
The wonderful MrsLettuce made lots of suggestions and recommended the 50s style swing dresses and pointed me in the right direction on the web.

Here is the link so I don't have to explain it all
amazing advice
Anyway the wedding was yesterday and I got some lovely compliments. But the highlight of the day was being stopped in the bar (it was at a country hotel with a pub attached) by a lovely lady who asked me where I got the dress, the website and where i got the petticoat she told me i looked stunning.
She looked familiar and then I realised that it was none other that Gaynor Faye from Emmerdale and possibly corrie.
I know a schelbs opinion shouldn't matter more than anyone elses, but it was icing on the cake.

Thanks to MrsLettuce, i felt fab, happy, confident for the first time in a long time.

Thank you so much. Your help meant alot. I could have pm'd you, but I wanted everyone to know how fab you are.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 20:14:08

Did you go for the H&R dress? If so it is BEAUTIFUL and I am sure you looked amazing.

AGilchrist Sat 22-Sep-12 20:17:43

I went for this one in the end.

I know which I am getting for my christmas party already. smile

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 20:21:37

I have £200 to spend on myself. I am so spending some of it on that website. The dresses are beautiful.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 20:22:17

Where did you get the petticoat btw? Just for reference you understand, not that I'm a copycat grin (if you don't mind)

AGilchrist Sat 22-Sep-12 20:23:45

They were amazingly helpful as well. I called them and they gave some good advice about what size to get and what colour petticoat etc.

That dress is quite big fittings, so although I am a 16 sha asked my measurements and advised me to get the 12/14. Couldn't have been more helpful.

DorothyGherkins Sat 22-Sep-12 20:24:00

MN is the best isnt it! That dress is gorgeous, I d have never found that website!

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 20:25:51

I seriously love the dresses on that website.

AGilchrist Sat 22-Sep-12 20:35:35

I got it through tigermilly in the end. TBH I left it a bit late, spent all my time planning its really good for the price. The way it moved with the dress was fantastic.
I am looking at investing in the one MrsLettuce recommended. Just because Mrs is so fantastic, i trust her judgment.
I ordered this one and sent it back loved it
I am ordering it again. Its either that one for christmas or this one
I adore the May day, but didn't feel brave enough. yesterday was a true confidence boost so I think i could now. smile

AGilchrist Sat 22-Sep-12 20:36:06

dorothy its amazing.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 20:37:43

How much would that sort of dress suit a flabby size 14 40-something to wear when going out with DP dressed up a bit with heels?

RagingDull Sat 22-Sep-12 20:39:18

marking a spot - love love love 50s style dresses.

AGilchrist Sat 22-Sep-12 20:45:20

Well I am a flabby size 16 (hitting the gym 5 times a week to get smaller and toned smile )
I am hour glass (ish) shape. It really suited me and made me look slimmer. The petticoat stuck out enough to disguise my ample behind but defined my waist. I did wear some 'suck me in pants' from debenhams just help my mum-tum.
I think it would look amazing. I am 30 and think this style could and does suit any age.

FancyPuffin Sat 22-Sep-12 20:52:12

^ What Dull said

I love 50's style dresses.

DorothyGherkins Sat 22-Sep-12 20:52:40

The coats and cardigans on there are fab too.

IShallPracticeMyCurtsey Sat 22-Sep-12 21:48:05

Aw how wonderful! Well done to MrsLettuce! Delighted you had such a good time OP.

MrsLettuce Sun 23-Sep-12 11:35:32

<quick namechange>

blush

Really pleased to hear you felt so fab!

thanks

AGilchrist Sun 23-Sep-12 16:18:09

Yay I am so grateful, I can't tell you how much.
me and dh are renewing our vows soon (long story but we split for a quite a whip and feel the need to recommit, but that's another thread) an i am going for a 50s style dress after this.
I can't thank you enough. its been so long since i felt happy at an event like this.

Pinkforever Sun 23-Sep-12 18:17:49

I am so glad someone else has been converted to 50's style dresses like I have! I have a good friend who dresses in a sort of 50's style/goth way-hard to explain but she looks fab! I always thought it was because she is a teeny tiny size 8 but she finally persuaded me to try one on and even on porky size 16 me they looked great!-I now have 4!

Am gradually trying to build up the confidence to go more 50's for day time too-stellaandfries has good tips op!

TitWillow Sun 23-Sep-12 18:55:18

oooh! I am a similar shape, and have a wedding to go to in January. I'm so stealing these ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now