Talk

Advanced search

What is cheaper to buy in the States?

(16 Posts)
FloppyWire Sat 22-Sep-12 10:45:05

I'm headed to New York in a few weeks (squeee!) and am looking to get some nice make up and clothes and shoes and food and accessories

I've discovered that Double Wear is cheaper over there, is there anything else decent I should be looking for?

Thanks!

hermioneweasley Sat 22-Sep-12 10:50:07

At the current exchange rate almost anything is cheaper! I got an iPad for £260 and 2 pairs of Levi's for £70 when I was there recently. Most big make up brands are cheaper. I like bath and body works for toiletries.

hermioneweasley Sat 22-Sep-12 10:51:13

I love their much wider range of m&ms too. Almond, peanut butter and pretzel are all bought in quantity when I go!

BillyBollyBandy Sat 22-Sep-12 10:51:37

DKNY Jeans are stupidly cheap. Also Guess/Ralph Lauren. MAC and OPI as well from memory. Oh and Calvin Klein

googietheegg Sat 22-Sep-12 10:52:51

Deffo converse - 2 pairs for $40!
Drugstore stuff is great
Colgate whitestrips are cheAp
Sooooo jealous!!! I heart ny.

FloppyWire Sat 22-Sep-12 11:01:21

Ah yes, I saw Kindles were much cheaper (£40 as opposed to £70 here!)

I love Converse but unfortunately on my size 8 feet I look like a clown grin

AViewfromtheFridge Sat 22-Sep-12 11:04:30

How long are you there for? This outlet mall is worth a look if you're going for longer than a couple of days.

BillyBollyBandy Sat 22-Sep-12 11:40:41

Ooo and Tigi hair products

googietheegg Sat 22-Sep-12 11:48:05

And bumble and bumble hair products in Duane Reade or Walgreen's. God I love those places.

Sallythedog Sat 22-Sep-12 12:43:02

If you do go to the outlet mall that AView mentions, join the VIP club before you go, then call in to the customer services office at the mall, and collect a booklet of additional discount vouchers.

Well, I hope that still works, did that for a number of years for the Premium Outlets mall close to Boston, but it was a few years ago.

FloppyWire Sat 22-Sep-12 15:19:03

How could I have forgotten about Duane Reade! I love Duane Reade!

Thank you I'll look into that outlet Mall, is it easy to get to on public transport?

anniewoo Sat 22-Sep-12 20:51:48

And Sephora envy

berri Sat 22-Sep-12 21:02:11

Uggs, if you like them.

Stevie77 Sat 22-Sep-12 21:19:14

Coach handbags. DKNY multiway cardigan (I saw it for $79!!). Calvin Klein. Ralph Lauren. Tommy Hilfiger. Gap (adults and children). Banana Republic (and the clothes are mostly nicer than what we get in the UK). Shoes at DSW. Kenneth Cole.

Basically, every American brand.

Paintyourbox Sat 22-Sep-12 21:50:30

I bought loads of Benefit make-up when I was over there last time. They had products that aren't here yet and also great travel sizes too!

Kinora Sun 23-Sep-12 10:16:39

Most stuff is cheaper.

Dd's like Converse, Vans, Abercrombie etc. All were cheaper - a t-shirt costing £30 here was $30 over there.

OPI was miles cheaper, wish I'd stocked up.

I bought a Fossil bag costing $149 and saw it in a shop here for £177. Bargain.

Take plenty of money and enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now