Talk

Advanced search

The camera never lies - true or false?

(25 Posts)
googlenut Fri 21-Sep-12 23:31:23

Cause the older I get, when the camera catches me at the wrong angle I look horrendous! Anyone else?

LizLemon007 Fri 21-Sep-12 23:33:00

I think it ............... can lie and tell the truth can't it? I have photos I love which flatter me, and photos that make me look like a witch. Both can't be right?

mirpuppet Sat 22-Sep-12 08:37:13

I think photos can be a wake up call. I know some people are more photogenic -- but with outfits sometimes the camera can catch something that is just wrong with the fit; colour etc.

googlenut Sat 22-Sep-12 08:40:21

So I really am this old and haggard looking <<quietly sobs into cornflakes>>

TheBonkeyMollocks Sat 22-Sep-12 08:48:12

This is why I dislike photos being taken if me!

theoriginalandbestrookie Sat 22-Sep-12 10:25:57

I posted about this a few months ago, I have that body dysmorphia thing except in reverse - I think I am a reasonably stylish not to fat 40 something, only to be presented with photos of a large blob with yellow teeth and multiple chins.

Options I were given were learn to pose for photos, photoshop grin and take the photos myself.

frankie4 Sat 22-Sep-12 10:31:24

I am like this too! When I look in the mirror I think I look nice. However, whenever I see a photo of myself, even if i am dressed up and "posing", I look overweight, have big arms, have a big round shiny face, frizzy hair etc. I have now started to hide from the camera!

germyrabbit Sat 22-Sep-12 10:32:55

I also think that if you think the pics are bad - look at them again five years down the line and i bet you will find them ok!

AllPastYears Sat 22-Sep-12 11:28:47

Of course it can lie. Never mind me, my daughters are both beautiful yet I have some awful photos of them!

Schnarkle Sat 22-Sep-12 11:33:07

I am like this too! When I look in the mirror I think I look nice. However, whenever I see a photo of myself, even if i am dressed up and "posing", I look overweight, have big arms, have a big round shiny face, frizzy hair etc. I have now started to hide from the camera!

Are you me frankie4? I look like someone that's fallen out of bed 1 minute before what ever picture is taken. I take time over applying makeup and still look pale and just blah. hmm

LtheWife Sat 22-Sep-12 13:36:39

The camera is only as good as the photographer and the cameras "eyes" are very different from ours. So unless the photo is taken by someone who knows what they're doing the camera most definitely lies! That occasional photo in which you look absolutely amazing is usually down to luck and the fact the lighting etc is at that moment just right for the cameras inbuilt settings.

SomethingOnce Sat 22-Sep-12 13:58:45

I fucking well hope the iPhone rear-facing camera lies.

googlenut Sat 22-Sep-12 17:57:07

The iPhone rear camera is a form of torture-get a right shock when it turns on by accident. Actually any iPhone photo looks awful.

SomethingOnce Sat 22-Sep-12 18:04:37

I'm only ever a mistapping finger away from ruining my day. Seriously, what is up with that camera? It uglifies!

Northumberlandlass Sat 22-Sep-12 18:20:47

I look horrendous in colour! Instagram is marvellous though...I can go black & white (it works wonders for me) wink

TheBonkeyMollocks Sat 22-Sep-12 18:29:50

Northumberland Me too grin

My best photos and the only ones on display are all black and white!!

chipstick10 Sat 22-Sep-12 18:54:43

Omg its funny you should start this thread. My dh took a little video on his phone of my niece and i at the park recently, i looked like an overweight mental patient shock. I was mortified, i couldnt believe how horrendous i looked.

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 22-Sep-12 18:59:10

I think one thing to remember is that when you see a photo, you will always think you look strange because you're used to seeing yourself in the mirror. So in a photo, you are the wrong way around. It takes a little while to get used to that and I think it's the shock of that strangeness, as much as anything else, that we react to.

SomethingOnce Sat 22-Sep-12 19:09:55

chipstick I have to say, I think it's unfair to characterise people with MH problems like that.

GreenEyesAndHam Sat 22-Sep-12 19:10:59

Facially I look awful in photos; horrid, I reckon I can bear about 2% of all photos taken. Now not to blow my own trumpet, but in RL I'm not half bad. I generally like what I see in the mirror and, again don't want to sound bigheaded but I think I'm considered 'fairly attractive' by folk. On photos I look like a wonky-faced witch.

Or perhaps Im just deluded grin

thornrose Sat 22-Sep-12 19:16:45

I think as you get older you have to start "posing", however self conscious that makes you feel! The right angle to avoid a double chin or a fat arm is the key.
When you watch models they have loads of shots and pick the best. Normal folk rarely get that chance.

CointreauVersial Sat 22-Sep-12 19:19:46

GreenEyes - me too. It is a standing joke in my family that there are no decent photos of me. I look awful in every single one - haggard and slightly drunk.

But DH assures me I look a whole lot better in RL (and who am I to contradict?).

chipstick10 Sat 22-Sep-12 19:23:14

Something are you serious?!!!!!!!! It was a joke.grin.

Gimblinginthewabe Sat 22-Sep-12 19:34:35

one of my friends posted this on facebook the other day, and I think it sums this thread up!

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2012/09/20

Gimblinginthewabe Sat 22-Sep-12 19:34:46

www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2012/09/20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now