Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need a long dress but I am huge!

(18 Posts)
tigerdriverII Fri 21-Sep-12 23:05:44

I am going to a vair posh dinner in a months time. I'm 5.5 about an 18 - 20. Seriously dieting so maybe not the 20 at that point. Dress code is black tie, long dress. Help!!! My budget is about £150, maybe £200 but certainly no more. I like purple and I don't want to have a slimming look - just something that fits

missnevermind Fri 21-Sep-12 23:23:05

I can't help with the dress sorry. But can I ask where do you buy your tights?
I am 5ft 2 and a 20/22 and haven't bought any for years.

tigerdriverII Fri 21-Sep-12 23:26:11

Marks usually. They fit ok but I buy cheapo tights as I wear them a lot in winter and they all seem to,last one wear. I get the five for £4 or whatever's but they often only last one wear

missnevermind Fri 21-Sep-12 23:31:13

That's the trouble I had before. But I feel better about it not just being me. grin

m-uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/2235150420

Found this one for you.

tigerdriverII Fri 21-Sep-12 23:39:37

Hi. Not sure which one it was - link just went to dresses page. The back tie jobs look nice and there's a blue one I do quite fancy. Any other suggestions welcome!

THEMardy Fri 21-Sep-12 23:44:42

Ths s a lovely colour

THEMardy Fri 21-Sep-12 23:45:35

Crap. Can't link on iPad. I think it was the same blue one

tigerdriverII Fri 21-Sep-12 23:47:07

Acchhh must be something wrong with my links Didn't get a picture with that one. But I think monsoon is the way to go. And hopefully I will
Have shrunk by then.

THEMardy Fri 21-Sep-12 23:55:15

Tiger. I think its my linkage. Sorry. I'm a sImilar height and size and have got some lovely dresses from Monsoon in the past. But looking at their website, the range is limited at the moment. There are usually lots more towards christmas. I've also got a couple of nice empire line floaty maxis from Evans in the past, trying linking again, a bit like this but nicer. Again a better selection towards chrismas

tigerdriverII Fri 21-Sep-12 23:58:26

Thanks THEMardy. That's the sort f thing I'm looking for. I'm going t need a shopping expedition I think. Just sorry that I WILL be smaller for Xmas so this dress will be white elephant. Or a purple one!

THEMardy Sat 22-Sep-12 00:03:06

Simply Be sometimes have similar stuff to the Evans dress. Have just looked at ther website and nothing much there at the moment. I love purple too.

FauxFox Sat 22-Sep-12 06:48:54

black with lace halter
black with sleeves
plum
purple grecian

Loveleopardprint Sat 22-Sep-12 07:54:54

I had a lovely dress from coast for my 40th. They go up to size 18/20.

talkingnonsense Sat 22-Sep-12 08:14:06

If you know you won't wear it again is it worth looking at eBay, or even a dress hire shop?

cybbo Sat 22-Sep-12 08:17:44

I can tell you what not to wear. Anything strapless with a shrug over the top. Will chop you up into too any pieces.

th top of this dress is lovely, if you could find in longer length. Wear with massive dangly earrings

Are you sure the black tie invite means long dress?

waitingtobeamummy Sat 22-Sep-12 08:40:55

I'd second ebay, It's what I do for my xmas party every yr. Monsoon are very roomy so you'd prob only need an 18 at most.

tigerdriverII Sat 22-Sep-12 20:07:42

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I could go down the hire route. I'm a bit of an eBay virgin so won't do that. I really like the black with sleeves one above, so might look into that. Unfortunately the invite stipulates long -it's a charity gala dinner, so no getting a useful party dress!

Chewbecca Sat 22-Sep-12 20:20:25

[http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Pied+a+Terre+Slinky+knot+jersey+dress/167327993,default,pd.html pied a terre dress] 2nd recommendation from me for this dress in the space of a few mins but I find this very flattering and lovely. Biggest size is 18 so would need that shrinkage I'm afraid. It comes in lots of colours including a purple and there is a long sleeve version too but I've not seen that in the flesh. Top end of your budget but a v classy dress in my v inexpert opinion.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now