Talk

Advanced search

Woven front, woven back, wtf is woven?

(17 Posts)
thatlldopigthatlldo Fri 21-Sep-12 21:31:20

Where has this term 'woven' come from all of a sudden?
Anybody noticed this as a description of tops online?

annoyed.

please help.

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Sep-12 21:32:46

It means that the fabric is like a shirt, not knitted jersey fabric like a T shirt.

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Sep-12 21:33:56

I don't find it annnoying, I find it useful!

thatlldopigthatlldo Fri 21-Sep-12 21:36:44

well i can see that it would be a useful term if you understand what it means.

so it's what? cotton, polyester etc with no stretch like jersey/viscose/wool etc?

orangeandlemons Fri 21-Sep-12 21:36:55

Weaves are when threads go under or over eachother.

Knits are when threads interlock through loops.

Knits are cheap to make, warmer to wear, don't need much ironing and have some give or stretch. They aslo cling and drape well.

Weaves tend to be stronger, stiffer and more rigid(but not always)

lagartija Fri 21-Sep-12 21:37:00

Do you seriously mean you don't know he meaning of the word woven? confused

nipersvest Fri 21-Sep-12 21:37:37

'woven' hasn't just come about all of a sudden, it's pretty much how the very first fabrics were created!

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Sep-12 21:40:43

Boden have been using the terminology "woven" for years to describe their tops, as appropriate, to differentiate them from the jersey tops. I find it very useful, as both can be the same fabric make up - cotton, polyester etc.

thatlldopigthatlldo Fri 21-Sep-12 21:41:05

no i know the word 'woven', and know about weavers etc.

i also knit and dressmake so it's not that i'm a complete moron on the subject of fabric. (but thanks for the vote of confidence smile)

but it's being used on websites a lot right now and i'm sure that's a new thing. tops having either a woven front or back. i didn't get what that means (as what fabric isn't woven).

thatlldopigthatlldo Fri 21-Sep-12 21:42:45

thanks orangeandlemons and bikerunski, that helps.

TickledOnion Fri 21-Sep-12 21:42:49

Fabric that is knitted isn't woven. They are 2 different techniques of making fabric.

nipersvest Fri 21-Sep-12 21:43:39

ok, i get you now. i guess, as orangeandlemons elaborated, it's just terminology to differentiate between cotton or linen (woven) and jersey (t shirt material, ie knitted). makes it sound posh wink

thatlldopigthatlldo Fri 21-Sep-12 21:51:04

ok got it. smile

LtheWife Fri 21-Sep-12 22:05:13

Yes, seeing it in a lot of tops and dresses for the last year or so. They use a fancy, more expensive woven fabric for the front of the top and then a cheaper stretch fabric (usually, but not always of the same colour) in the back, a cost cutting exercise disguised as a style choice. Saw what I thought was a gorgeous print dress on an advert a while ago then went to the website only to find it had a black jersey back. The print front didn't even have any black in it so it just looked cheap.

thatlldopigthatlldo Fri 21-Sep-12 22:11:57

aha i knew something was up with that! thank you.

i've noticed the costcutting on the fabrics gradually over the last few years. it makes internet shopping more difficult as you really have to read the descriptions very closely to make sure it isn't half of an item.

lagartija Sat 22-Sep-12 08:35:48

oh, I see.

orangeandlemons Sat 22-Sep-12 14:58:25

You can knit cotton and linen too. You can knit anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now