Talk

Advanced search

if you hated the blonde highlights the hairdresser gave you on Thursday night....

(14 Posts)
slovenlydotcom Fri 21-Sep-12 19:15:58

would it be bluddy stupid to go to the chemist and put a colour on over the top on Saturday morning?

Not sure I can live with this for 4 weeks which is when I can justify paying for another hairdo

Misssss Fri 21-Sep-12 19:22:32

If there is something wrong with them go back and tell them you aren't happy. Its not fair that you should suffer if the hairdresser messed up. All decent hairdressers will fix a mistake free of charge.

FriedSprout Fri 21-Sep-12 19:25:57

Get some colour b4, will remove all dye, so assume highlights as well. Or use head and shoulders original ( lots of times)

onebigwish Fri 21-Sep-12 19:32:55

I did this. I asked a hairdresser to do my roots - subtle caramelish highlights in dark brown hair - and she gave me Miss Piggy blonde streaks.

I dyed it all dark brown at home, looked loads better!

SunshineOutdoors Fri 21-Sep-12 19:35:34

Colour b4 will remove pigment but cannot reverse hair lightening.

Think you might have to go back to the hairdresser and ask them to fix it. Sure they won't mind, especially if you're a regular.

MolotovBomb Fri 21-Sep-12 19:40:38

Totally agree with Missssss: if the hairdresser cocked-up, they ought to fix it free of charge. I had honey-blonde highlights for a few years and for some reason, one time I got overbleached and went WHITE at the front. I am olive-skinned ...

(Yikes!)

They toned it down, no problem. The problem was the severe hair breakage that ensued.

I have recently stopped having my hair highlighted, btw. Gone back to my natural colour (dark blonde). I use Nice n' Easy semi-perm over the s highlights. Suits me much better now, I think.

MolotovBomb Fri 21-Sep-12 19:42:11

Meant to type 'old' highlights.

slovenlydotcom Fri 21-Sep-12 20:16:13

I am not a regular, it was my first time there! Will be my last- what would they be prepared to do: would they put a colour on top free of charge? They may guess I won't be back and therefore not be so accommodating.

YouMayLogOut Fri 21-Sep-12 20:22:21

Semi-permanent from the chemist should work OK.

MolotovBomb Fri 21-Sep-12 20:24:07

They should do it without a quibble as they'll definitely lose your business if they don't - and potentially other clients (i.e. You might bad-mouth about your experience) if you're dissatisfied with their service. Hairdressing is a competitive industry and salons want your loyalty.

And yes, they'll select the fright-bits of colour, foil those bits again (shouldnt damage the hair as darker colours contain less hydrogen peroxide) and tone your hair down with the appropriate colour. It should take less time than your trip on Thursday x

snowmummy Fri 21-Sep-12 20:29:21

What's wrong with the highlights? If they're just too light for you, they could put some toner over them perhaps. Or like you said, a semi or permanent all over.

MrsKwazii Fri 21-Sep-12 20:33:52

I agree with other posters saying to ask the hairdresser to fix it for you - at no extra cost. If you aren't happy they should be the ones to sort it out. I've had an all over colour and highlights redone before (with no extra charge) when the end result is not what I've asked for. If the salon is a professional one, they'll do it without a murmur.

suebfg Fri 21-Sep-12 21:08:46

I once had dreadful highlights - went in wanting Audrey Hepburn-esque highlights a la Breakfast at Tiffany and came out looking like Ginger Spice. It was at Toni & Guy actually.

The branch I went to wasn't open on a Saturday so I went to another branch on a Sunday, had my colour taken back to brown. And then complained to the original branch who offered me free haircuts for a year with a director level stylist and a conditioning treatment. I did this on the advice of a barrister friend.

So if you asked for one thing and got another, I'd say they are obliged to put it right.

slovenlydotcom Fri 21-Sep-12 21:18:01

I want to go blonde but have short hair so idea was to gradually lighten the back and put lights through front. The back is darker than when I went in and is a hideous contrast to blonde lights on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now