Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New mum desperately seeking new clothes inspiration - please help!

(12 Posts)
Happybunny12 Fri 21-Sep-12 16:36:09

Am completely stumped- need some new clothes badly but not sure where to start. Would love some pointers from you style conscious folks!

I'm 31, 5'10", 6 weeks ago had first DC by ECMS. Pre-pregnancy I was size 14, now I'm not sure! I've shrunk back to 14 in most measures but not in the tummy region which is wobbly and makes me feel self conscious. I'm breast feeding so will need easy access clothing.

Pre-preg my wardrobe was mainly work suits and sporty stuff, very little casual weekendy clothes. Help! I can't live in track suit bottoms and baggy old cardies forever!!

Lovewearingjeans Fri 21-Sep-12 16:48:40

I felt like this when I had my first by c-section. I live in jeans so I bought myself a couple of pairs from Dorothy Perkins that fitted my shape and were comfy. I didn't get on with Breast feeding, so don't speak from experience, but how about long leggings with tunic tops that you can pull down?

MarysBeard Fri 21-Sep-12 16:52:39

Jeggings, boots and long jumpers/checked shirt and gilet. My winter uniform! With your height you will carry it off easily. Also get higher waisted ones to hold the tum in a bit and give you a nicer silhouette.

WhyIRayLiotta Fri 21-Sep-12 16:56:25

Hello

After I had DD my uniform was skinny jeans ( I liked the primark ones as they are a bit higher in the waist so I could tuck my baby belly in )
I usually wore them with floaty / sheer tops - from Dorothy Perks or New look - and I wore primark £2 vests underneath. I would pull up the top to feed and was still covered up by the vest.
I didn't want to spend much money on post baby clothes as I thought I'd spring back quickly... 9 months later I'm still in them! confused

Happybunny12 Fri 21-Sep-12 17:21:46

Ooh think I need to get me to Dorothy Perkins, New Look and Primark! Marysbeard, any tips on where to get jeggings? Never bought any before... Also, any tips on footwear?

Happybunny12 Fri 21-Sep-12 17:22:35

Sorry, meant to say thank you!!

monkeysmama Fri 21-Sep-12 17:30:19

It's worth a good browse in magazines and on some of the premium websites like Matches & Net-a-porter to get an idea of the looks you like. You can then look for high street alternatives but at least you have something to work with. When I had my first LO I felt very lost style wise having never nailed the off duty look pre pg. I started wearing the things I saw other mums wearing rather than things I liked which eventually made me feel very un-me.

I'd also recommend waiting a few weeks and getting measured for a new bra. I went down a clothes size with a proper fitting bra.

You might find some useful ideas on this blog

Loads of places have mid season sales on at the moment too.

MidnightinMoscow Fri 21-Sep-12 17:39:58

Having had 2 CS's, I find my tummy area did flatten a bit more after 3-4 months. No where near where I can say it's flat, but better than at 6 weeks.

Monkeysmamma speaks sense! Don't feel you need to revert to a Mum uniform, just because you have had a baby. Yes, your body and lifestyle may have changed - but that doesn't mean you need to change your sense of style. Just means you need to tweak it slightly.

One product I have found invaluable after having DD 6 months ago, are primark long line vests with adjustable straps. They are about £2 each, but the quality is excellent. They are great for layering and I feel a little more confident in the tummy area with a vest underneath some of my tops. They do them in a range of colours. Don't worry if you need to size up - they can be skimpy.

busyboysmum Fri 21-Sep-12 17:46:42

I think this might be the link for the blog:

allwornout

I echo the jeggings (get mine from m&s they have all sorts of colours) with long tops to cover bottom and a shorter jumper over that for the layering effect.

AWomanCalledHorse Fri 21-Sep-12 17:50:52

I've found Uniqlo to be great for basic 'running around after DS' clothes!

No idea about footwear, mine refused to shrink back to normal size post-DS so I'm off to Clarks to find some sensible wide shoes.

Happybunny12 Fri 21-Sep-12 18:11:16

Thanks monkeys, midnight, busy and horse! How have I not heard of uniqlo before!?! Looks fab- and cheap! What's the quality like?

Shoes: for work I wore heels, then lived in flip flops in later stages of pregnancy/ last few weeks. Now I am surviving in wellies (I live in a village) and scratty old running shoes... Am thinking flat shoes... Boots? Ballet shoes?

monkeysmama Sat 22-Sep-12 10:58:13

I don't know what your footwear budget is but I wear my leather Ash trainers a lot. New Look & Topshop are doing some good cheaper ones atm. I like biker boots too for everyday wear. They look good with skinnies, leggings and skirts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now