Talk

Advanced search

what can I wear with this dark red skirt? Please help - I really want to keep it

(10 Posts)
zoflora Fri 21-Sep-12 14:09:34

Have a dark red cord skirt which I love but never wear as don't know what goes with it. The colour is not quite deep enough to be called burgundy imo - more like slightly watered down red wine.
Anyway advice on tops and tights, shoes/boot colour. sought. I am olive skinned - "winter" colouring but despite the fact I'm supposed to suit it I loathe myself in black and think it makes me look tired (near my face that is - no objection to black on bottom half)

iWILLdothis Fri 21-Sep-12 14:22:28

I have a skirt that sounds similar to what you describe. I was going to say wear with black top & black opaques & black boots.....but then I see you don't like black on top.... but how about wearing a similar colour scarf with a black top so that the black isn't right up against your face? Otherwise, how about trying this kind of thing which would definitely go with my red skirt, but maybe yours is more burgundy than mine. With that, I'd wear brown boots. HTH

sweetheart Fri 21-Sep-12 15:12:37

I'm just venturing into berry as my fav winter clothing. So far I have found it goes nicely with navy blue and baby pink.

I have just ordered this top in blush to go with my new berry jeans as I already have a cardigan this colour that goes nicely with it.

FauxFox Fri 21-Sep-12 15:47:51

Grey would be my advice - grey and wine go perfectly. this one even has a little detailing at the neck to match the skirt!

ujjayi Fri 21-Sep-12 16:26:37

Grey would be great. Or you could wear a black top with a print scarf as iWILLdothis suggests. Leopard print would work.

I'm planning on wearing my new rusty red skirt in one or all of the following combo's over the next few weeks:

- black herring bone tights, black heels, black blazer
- nude fishnets, snakeprinty top, beige blazer, something on feet but not sure what yet
- nude fishnets, leopard print shoes, black top and blazer
- white top, grey blazer, grey and white print scarf, silver flats, nude fishnets

But I like black. I do think that a scarf and a black top is prob the easiest way forward but a white top and grey blazer would be an equally easy look.

zoflora Fri 21-Sep-12 18:17:44

Thanks for replies
iWill - of course - a scarf to break up black. Why didn't I think of that.
fox and uj I love grey with wine - that would have been my instinct. Again I am not wild about grey near my face - but could employ the scarf trick!
remus all your ideas sound good

zoflora Fri 21-Sep-12 18:20:58

sweetheart - I am not a fan of the shade of pink you linked to though I can see it would go.
Would a pale sort of icy pink work?
Haven't thought of the combo of navy and wine but willing to be convinced. What do you gurus think?

Am no guru but I think wine and navy can be good. However, I tend to avoid it because it always reminds me a bit of Aston Villa! I did think I'd try my skirt with a navy and white Breton and a navy blazer but it feels too summery for the weather now and I didn't know what tights to try it with - navy felt silly.

zoflora Fri 21-Sep-12 18:56:45

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now