Talk

Advanced search

Decent sportswear at non-outrageous prices?

(16 Posts)
BettyButterknife Fri 21-Sep-12 12:33:48

I've been doing 45 minutes of circuit training in the park early mornings, three times a week all summer. Have been muddling on with the rather tatty two pairs of tracky bots and various old t-shirts/sweatshirts I dug out of the back of the wardrobe, but now thinking it might be time to invest in something slightly more sophisticated.

We do running, boxing, but also floor work - sit ups, burpees, press ups etc. I need clothes that are warm enough to do this in winter, that will wash/dry well and withstand intense exercise. But I don't want to pay through the nose.

Can anyone recommend somewhere where I can buy basic sportswear, nothing high tech, probably need some bottoms, a long sleeve tshirt or two, and maybe a hoodie/sweatshirt/jacket. Would be great if they had those thumb-hole things so that I don't have to put my hands directly on the freezing wet ground (brrrr...).

Someone suggested Primark or Sainsbury's to me - is that a daft idea?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 21-Sep-12 12:38:24

We use MandMDirect and Sports Direct for DD's running kits.

babsmam Fri 21-Sep-12 12:41:32

I use sainburys for similar, although more indoors, and outdoor running. Also aldi are good but you have ,to keep an eye our for them and get in fast.

Panzee Fri 21-Sep-12 12:43:32

Depends what you class as paying through the nose. I like Nike and Adidas stuff for fit and quality. And I don't think it's that expensive.

Needabitofsunshine Fri 21-Sep-12 12:48:44

Decathlon! I bought a mega expensive pair of sweaty Betty bottoms last year and a £12 pair of fleece lined bottoms from decathlon. Cheap and cosy won hands down in the winter. Will get another pair this year for sure, nice fit too.

dinkystinky Fri 21-Sep-12 12:50:07

I like M&S stuff, she active often have 15% sales (and 25% sales on sports bras - get on their mailing lists). You need wicking sports wear that takes the sweat away from your skin.

Camelsshouldnteatcrisps Fri 21-Sep-12 17:26:33

I usual spend the most money on a good sports bra, shock absorber or freya then trainers. After that I quite often get stuff from TXMax. I've bought Ronhil running stuff in there before.

I've bought primark and new look bottoms before and spent the whole of a class tugging them back up because they weren't so great and the waist and wouldn't stay up when I ran.

The lucky thing that I have found with circuits is the type of person who goes usually doesn't care what you look like!

SummerLightning Fri 21-Sep-12 17:33:16

Aldi have bike stuff in this Thursday jackets and trousers and winter stuff. Good quality and cheap and probably fine for running/circuits.

FauxFox Fri 21-Sep-12 17:43:21

TK Maxx - seriously best place for bargain sport stuff and loads of brands to choose from.

NoComparison Fri 21-Sep-12 17:52:41

All my running kit comes from Lidl.

IMO comparable (sometimes better than) Nike/Adidas etc and around £7 for 3/4 leggings and the same for a top.

brighthair Fri 21-Sep-12 19:04:20

Sports Direct. I got 3 Nike vests and 2 pairs Nike cropped trousers for £50

notyummy Fri 21-Sep-12 19:06:17

H and M have decent technical sports gear for not that much. You can get it online.

glitch Fri 21-Sep-12 19:11:44

After lots of random, what I thought were bargain, buys I now realise that I like Nike things so I now google shop / ebay / amazon to get the best price for particular products.
Better to spend a bit more on a good product rather than cheap random shopping IMO.

Vajazzler Fri 21-Sep-12 19:14:37

We have a decathlon by us. Its a 'proper' sports shop that sells good quality gear

ornellaia Fri 21-Sep-12 19:21:03

Another vote here for decathlon - cheap and cheerful and IME good quality.

BettyButterknife Sat 22-Sep-12 22:16:02

Brilliant tips, thanks. Went a bought a couple of things from Sainsbury's today, plus a Berghaus top at TK Maxx. Will have to try Decathlon although am rather intimidated by the name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now