Talk

Advanced search

What icon earth do I wear in December with

(23 Posts)
musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 19-Sep-12 15:53:53

this?
Help please!
Wedding. I'll freeze. Size 12-14, broad-ish. I think jackets make me look like a bouncer.

musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 19-Sep-12 15:54:32

Icon? Wtf? What ON earth. Good start. blush

docket Wed 19-Sep-12 15:55:15

Some kind of stole (is that the right spelling?!) or wrap thing? Fake fur or something quite luxurious and warm?

docket Wed 19-Sep-12 15:55:44

no, not stole. i think that's a scarf. i meant one of those things that goes over your shoulders and arms. a shrug??

poppy283 Wed 19-Sep-12 16:20:29

Thick tights in a neutral other than black, smart heeled ankle boots, sequin shrug for indoors.

sweetheart Wed 19-Sep-12 16:57:30

a luxurious fur coat (faux naturally)

poppy283 Wed 19-Sep-12 16:59:32

Or, could you wear a long sleeved top under it? I've done this for a winter wedding before, depends how formal it's going to be...

musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 19-Sep-12 17:39:26

Thanks. Thought about a shrug but would want close fitting and no flapping at front?
poppy
Thick tights in a neutral other than black, smart heeled ankle boots, sequin shrug for indoors.
Hadn't thought of putting boots with it but like that idea- but what colour? Also, what colour tights? Yy to sequin shrug I fancy that. Anyone seen any?

poppy283 Wed 19-Sep-12 17:48:21

What about mushroom tights and black ankle boots? Then a similar mushroomy shrug?

poppy283 Wed 19-Sep-12 18:00:18

Can't link but if you search eBay for 'flower sequin bolero' there's one by paprika at asos that's quite 'wow'

You'd still have chilly arms though!

musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 19-Sep-12 19:10:27

Black boots ok with a navy dress?

musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 19-Sep-12 19:11:52

The bolero is too wow for me smile

Hullygully Wed 19-Sep-12 19:14:10

Can you not take a small and discreet paraffin heater with you?

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 19-Sep-12 19:15:28

Agree with a fab fake-fur coat.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 19-Sep-12 19:20:30

A short, no longer than waist length, faux fur shrug, almost any "fur" colour and the longest gloves you can find, vintage ones go way above the elbow.
Sorry, no idea how to source any of this.
PS. I would wear real fur! Second hand only though.
<runs away, fast>

Caerlaverock Wed 19-Sep-12 19:22:27

Can you wear something more weather appropriate and maybe a vest * Irish mammy face *

musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 19-Sep-12 20:15:19

I know I should caerlaverock but it's the first opportunity I've had since my wedding (and three children) to dress up and I love this dress!
Fur sounds like a bloody fan idea. And gloves. Yes! I'd better scour eBay. Might be back for opinions. Any more thoughts on boots?

musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 19-Sep-12 20:15:37

Fab not fan. blush again.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 19-Sep-12 23:43:57

Boots yes, I'd missed that the dress was navy. If you're going for the fur, which will most likely be some shade of brown, I would go for brown boots. My daughter would wear heavily distressed brown DMs unlaced which would be fab on her. You could adjust that look for you though according to your age and comfort with the contrast (she is 24).

FauxFox Thu 20-Sep-12 07:56:33

I would not wear boots with that dress - possibly nude coloured tights, closed toe stilettos and definitely a bolero cardi like this or this maybe in sapphire or plum? I wouldn't wear a fur or gloves (although I think that is a fab look) what will you do if it's chilly when you sit down to eat? You can't very well sit there in a fur jacket and gloves (or can you? confused)

VerityBrulee Thu 20-Sep-12 10:22:38

this fur jacket is lovely, really good quality. It would be great with your dress and you'd get lots of wear out of it after the wedding

musttidyupmusttidyup Thu 20-Sep-12 13:02:58

Good point fauxfox. Might need to think again. SO need to wear something indoorsy with it. Tbh if it's bloody freezing I'll be wearing my merrell duvet coat outside as I don't have a smart coat and need to be warm. So some sort of sparkly short cardi /shrug or a jacket are the options really. I like that one you linked to thanks.

musttidyupmusttidyup Fri 21-Sep-12 22:31:30

I've now bought 2 dresses and need to decide between them. The other is the one on the left which doesn't look so great on the pic but is lovely on. It's more of a royal blue so could match with black - also shorter so could do knee boots?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now