Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ok so how old is too old for long hair?

(81 Posts)
whiteandyelloworchid Wed 19-Sep-12 09:47:39

right now ive been called no spring chicken anymore!!
at 34, ok almost 35grin
what age do you lot think is too old for long hair?

whiteandyelloworchid Wed 19-Sep-12 09:48:31

i have very nice long hair by the way its glossy and bouncy, not old grey and scraggliy

before you ask!

LemonBreeland Wed 19-Sep-12 09:50:06

I'm 35 and am currently growing my hair long again. I feel it is the last chance I'll have to wear it long.

I think a lot depends on your hair type. I have a friend who is 41 and at 40 she had long hair but looked like an old woman. I don't know if it was partly the way she wore it.

I also think blondes can get away with long hair longer. (I am not blonde sad)

whiteandyelloworchid Wed 19-Sep-12 09:51:43

how do you mean last chance?
when do you think you'll be too old then?

EverlongYouAreGoldAndOrange Wed 19-Sep-12 09:54:23

I always think it depends on the hair and the whole look you have.

I've got a friend who's 45, her long hair is beautiful as is she. It looks right for her.

piratecat Wed 19-Sep-12 09:56:38

i am 43 and growing mine, i think it depends on your face, and your style.

I have no idea what mine will be like, but i do like being able to put it up, and have a groovy 'do'. If it were always just hanging down, one length it wouldn't suit me. Yet, thats me.

twolittlemonkeys Wed 19-Sep-12 09:56:55

I've been pondering this question myself. I'm 31 and my hair is currently a couple of inches below my shoulders. It feels like I've been trying to grow it long for ever and I'm starting to wonder if I should get it cut shorter and keep it that way. But then I think it makes me look a bit younger than I am. I will definitely go a bit shorter (ie no longer than resting on shoulders) when I hit 40... I've forgotten what my natural hair colour is... probably a mousy colour, hence I have dyed it for the past 15 years! It is currently red, which most people assume is my natural hair colour. Will keep it as long as I think I can get away with it.

LemonBreeland Wed 19-Sep-12 09:58:49

See thats the thing. I'm not sure when I'll be too old. But I'm getting in now in case I'm one of those people whose hair goes awful when they hit 40. grin

I don't think it will as my Mum had lovely hair until her 50's but you never know.

EdMcDunnough Wed 19-Sep-12 09:58:59

My grandmother srtill has long hair at 86.

I love it - of course she wears it up, with a lot of pins. I'm 39, mine's longish - it never really gets beyond about boob length tbh - and I rarely wear it down as it isn't that heavy, and looks messy. I just pin it up on my head every day.

I know it's probably silly, but I'd rather it was there iyswim, than not there, even if no one sees it down.

Also I've been told by every man who's ever fancied me that it looks way better long...so I'm taking the hint!

EdMcDunnough Wed 19-Sep-12 10:00:45

Oh and I will never, ever be one of the old ladies who cuts their hair really short and has 'that' perm. I just can't do it. Why do people want to all look the same?

Caerlaverock Wed 19-Sep-12 10:02:26

Obv you can do what you want with your hair. If you have nice silky hair and don't just buck it up in a pony tail all the time, wear it that way until you die. My hair got very wirey and grey so I chopped it off and I look better that way. I hate the ponytail with badger at their roots look

aufaniae Wed 19-Sep-12 10:03:32

I really don't understand this idea that you should cut your hair when you get to a certain age / become a mum. What's it all about? I just don't get it?! confused

I've had long hair all my adult life. I'm pushing 40 but have no plans to cut it.

Bunbaker Wed 19-Sep-12 10:04:42

"I always think it depends on the hair and the whole look you have."

Definitely. I think depends on your face as well. I started to go grey in my 30s and it affected the texture of my hair. It went very dry and wasn't at all smooth and glossy. I have a long thin face as well so for me it was a no brainer to go short at 39. My hair is in much better condition and suits me better short.

I have friends in their mid 40s who look fantastic with long hair so there is no hard and fast rule.

MrsjREwing Wed 19-Sep-12 10:07:48

As long as Kate Moss, Vic Beckham and others my age in the press can get away with it, I will. Jennifer Anniston, Madonna still have long hair and they are much older.

I think as long as it looks in good condition you can have long hair at any age, Up or down.

TheOneWithTheHair Wed 19-Sep-12 10:10:11

See I'm dreading this. I know one day I'll have to have my locks chopped and it makes me so sad. It's so much a part of who I am (see my MN name).

iknowwho Wed 19-Sep-12 10:10:44

I'm 47 and have hairpast my shoulders.
It is brown with honey and caramel highlights in.
I get it trimmed every few weeks and make sure it is styled nice, sometimes straight, sometimes I use the ghd's and make it curly.
I think the important thing is too make sure the length,the style and the colour suits your face and shape and is in great condition.

JodieHarsh Wed 19-Sep-12 10:11:18

Apologies for people who have been subjected to my hair tirades recently (and see posts passim): I cut my short because I thought, being 33 this year, I ought not to have long locks.

It has aged me by about 20 years. I look like shit. I don't actually recognise my reflection. My identity was left on the floor of a Covent Garden salon and it's going to take a year to get it back <bitter>. I actually pondered hair extensions the other night.

Leave it, I would.

Pannacotta Wed 19-Sep-12 10:13:48

I agree that if its in good condition and not straggly your age doesnt matter. I also agree that it does depend on your face shape. Long hair can drage an aging face down but only if its a long, thin face...

I am 41 and have long hair, I condition it every day and it is thick and shiny. Until this changes I will keep it long - nice to be able to wear it pinned up etc.

NellyJob Wed 19-Sep-12 10:14:44

well don't get a hair cut unless you actually want to.
I must say older women with long hair can look a bit witchy tbh but it depends very much on the individual. I have a friend who is 56 and wears hers in a long plait and she looks great.
and as Mrs JR Ewing said, it does depend very much on its condition and thickness.
Mine just looks dreadful if it is longer than about 2 inches.

MrsjREwing Wed 19-Sep-12 10:16:26

I know what you mean by being aged by a short hair cut, I saw a few aquantances go short, third baby or turning forty, big mistake getting a man haircut, one kept it, the other grew it back. I think todays DM strapline of shame shows a good short hair style on dare I say it Kerry Katona (hides).

rainonmyparade Wed 19-Sep-12 10:16:53

I don't think there is any age limit. As piratecat said depends on face and style. I know 45 year olds with long hair who look amazing. I also know 45 year olds with long hair who look like bag ladies. wink

NellyJob Wed 19-Sep-12 10:20:20

I know a 70 year old with long blonde hair - total mutton, sorry.

MsKayGee Wed 19-Sep-12 10:21:03

Agree that older women can tend to look a bit witchey sometimes with long hair. I know a couple of women in their late 50's who just scrape their hair back into a ponytail every day. I don't see the point in keeping your hair long if you're going to do that. Likewise if it's just left hanging down like a pair of scabby curtains. Long hair is so versatile, if you keep it long then make the most of that.

I have hair just past my shoulder blades and like that I can have a different look every day of the week if I want to.

EdMcDunnough Wed 19-Sep-12 10:21:52

Yes there is a woman at school who is a grandmother and very elegant and slim, her hair is long, she wears it down and it looks great.

there is a woman who lives by us (in a mental hospital/home, sadly) and her hair is long and very nice, from behind it looks nice, then you see her face and it's terribly, terribly old sad and she must only be in her late 40s.

I sometimes think hair is best up past a certain age.

juneau Wed 19-Sep-12 10:22:23

Well I was reading Marie Claire yesterday (the first time I'd bought it in AGES), and I was actually reading the style and beauty bit, for once, and they have a rather useful 'super youth' feature this month, which basically tells you how to stay looking younger longer and one of the things it said is that cutting your hair short when you get to a certain age is no longer the done thing! A shoulder length bob is apparently 'mumsy', so we should all either go for something longer or shorter than that if we want to look stylish.

Personally, I'm 38 and I have long-ish blonde hair and I think it looks fine. I had it shoulder length for a bit in my mid-30s (it all fell out after having DS1 and I panicked and had it chopped), and everyone told me it looked boring and I should grow it again. If you don't know what suits you, go and ask a hair stylist you respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now