Talk

Advanced search

£150 to rescue my hair?

(22 Posts)
JodieHarsh Tue 18-Sep-12 13:37:09

Is that too much? <nervous>

Some quick responses before I make the booking would be very welcome.

I am currently minging hard, owing to a combination of the hardest, saddest year of my life, and AGE, and weight gain, and an outbreak of adult acne, and having ruined my hair.

I am basically desperately trying to get rid of henna, and at the same time had a terrible haircut that lopped off huge sections at the back and gave me an inch-long fringe.

I have tried to remove the henna myself (3 packs of Scott Cornwall De-Colour, repeated washings with clarifying shampoo, 2 bottles of Sun-In Spray hmm) and have raised it from deep Florence Welsh red to a pleasing tangerine. The condition is, needless to say, ruined.

I've been quoted £150 at the Ginger Group in Westfield Stratford for the senior colourist to return me to blonde (fingers crossed). This would also be a cut and restyle and blow-dry.

I am fairly poor and supposed to be saving for moving out of London. I can afford it but it would be £150 less in the savings account. However I am currently crying like a heartbroken child about once every 5 days about being ugly etc. etc. etc.

Shall I go for it, or suck it up as a self-inflicted injury?

JodieHarsh Tue 18-Sep-12 13:47:42

Anyone?

JodieHarsh Tue 18-Sep-12 13:48:03

I promise to post before-and-after shots if you reply [bribery and corruption emoticon]

CaptainHetty Tue 18-Sep-12 13:51:35

I think if you can afford it and it would make you feel better about yourself, you should go for it. There's nothing worse than feeling shit about how you look.

iwantavuvezela Tue 18-Sep-12 13:54:09

Definately do it, your feeling of self esteem will go up, you will feel better ... and you can go back to saving with renewed vigour - instead of spending money you can gaze adoringly at your blonde locks in the mirror ....

scorchienne Tue 18-Sep-12 13:55:20

Go for it! You shouldnt be crying about your hair/how you feel you look. Get you hair coloured, restyled and conditioned, you will feel amazing. Go go make the appointment!

Natnat29 Tue 18-Sep-12 13:57:31

Go get it done you'll feel so much better smile

WipsGlitter Tue 18-Sep-12 13:59:42

I say go for it, but get it in writing that the colour will be restored / tweaked until you are happy. I'd hate you to shell out loads and then still hate it.

JodieHarsh Tue 18-Sep-12 14:04:10

Thanks everyone. I feel soothed. I know I can rely on MN to tell me when I'm being a spoilt brat grin

That's a good idea wips - it remains to be seen whether I will have the courage to do that...I am terrified of hairdressers!

I think DH wil be mildly horrified at the cost but 'let' me do it (not 'let', but you know what I mean). He can't bring himself to think of me as anything but blonde. And he's probably fed up with the crying.

DogsCock Tue 18-Sep-12 14:05:36

yes absolutely. You will feel so much better when it is how you like it.
Money well spent.

elfycat Tue 18-Sep-12 14:08:39

It's a lot of money but hair is a major thing when it comes to feeling good.

One thing to think of, do you have a longer term plan for your hair colour? Might be worth thinking about the next phase after the regrowth is showing. You don't want to have to maintain an expensive salon colour. Maybe discuss this at the appointment?

Alternatives are an appropriate hat/ head scarf as a fashion statement for a few weeks and buy sparkly toenail varnish. Might only be me but if my toes are glittery life seems a bit brighter. Ok it's just me - have a lovely hair dressing appointment

JodieHarsh Tue 18-Sep-12 14:17:11

No I'm with you on the power of a sparkly nail, elfy!

Good point aout long-term plans. I am naturally sort of honey-blonde, and usually perk it up with some really white-blonde highlights, so that's what I'd like to go back to.

Bum bum bum. WHY didn't I listen to my mother/DH?! <wails>

For £150 I could have bought that coat in the Jaeger outlet store I've had my eye on for months sad

FancyPuffin Tue 18-Sep-12 14:30:41

I actually demand that you book it and spend the money on your hair!

Nice hair makes everything feel better and in the grand scheme of things £150 is not so much. Make sure the colourist is totally confident with what he/she is doing.

Also invest in some moroccan oil. My hair was a frizzy purple mess but a combination of an awesome hairdresser and magic oil i'm now a sleek (hair only) blonde (natural brunette)

Don't forget the pics smile

JodieHarsh Tue 18-Sep-12 14:34:14

grin Bless you all. Booking it now!

JodieHarsh Tue 18-Sep-12 14:40:42

10.00am Saturday. Huzzah! I will be sure to take pictures.

FancyPuffin Tue 18-Sep-12 14:43:34

Huzzah! grin

JodieHarsh Tue 18-Sep-12 14:47:14

I'm actually seeing The Senior Colourist Person. I hope they don't hate me. Hairdressers are only nice to chic thin people in good clothes (Me: None Of The Above).

Oh well. As long as I come out looking just slightly less like Ronald McDonald in drag I shall be happy grin

elfycat Tue 18-Sep-12 14:48:31

In that case I demand that you buy some inexpensive and very sparkly nail varnish (unless you already have some) and have sparkly toes by the end of this week so that literally you will be good top to toe!

JodieHarsh Tue 18-Sep-12 14:49:46

Well obviously I don't WANT to buy any nail polish but it looks like I sort of HAVE to, right? Yeah? So, you know, WITH A VERY BAD GRACE I will do it. Just to keep the peace.

grin

elfycat Tue 18-Sep-12 14:50:29

grin

FancyPuffin Tue 18-Sep-12 14:50:35

The last time I was chic or thin Blur was fighting Oasis for number 1 hmm

I truly feel that good hair cancels out my terrible dress sense and rotundness grin

FancyPuffin Mon 24-Sep-12 10:46:21

Jodie did you have it done? Is it fab?

I remember there being talk of pictures...

<Drums fingers>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now