Talk

Advanced search

Who's best, for coloured cotton winter tights?

(18 Posts)
Eliza22 Fri 14-Sep-12 08:24:11

It's that time of year again. Out come the winter shoes and tights. But I find my "last years'" collection being redirected to the bin.

I need plain knit ones, nice and thick with not too much pattern/ribbing but good range of colours. However, I usually buy White Stuff ones which are NOT that hardy and at £15 a pop, aren't good value IMO or, M&Co ones which shrink (so I buy in LARGE) as they must be HANDWASHED (? confused ?). Who has the time in the depths of winter to be hand washing and drip drying their thick winter tights?

Any other suggestions? I can't "do" nylon type opaques.

Thanks smile

ujjayi Fri 14-Sep-12 08:36:47

How about merino opaques from M&S? Gorgeous and don't fade like cotton ones do. I can't abide "nylon type" either.

RyanGoslingRocks Fri 14-Sep-12 08:53:56

I second the Merino opaques from M&S. They are so soft and comfortable, well worth the couple of extra pounds

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 14-Sep-12 09:33:55

Another vote for M&S merino ones.

I have some pairs which will be in their 3rd year this year and still going strong. They used to do lovely colours too, I have grey, navy and a lovely Bordeaux colour.

I have an aversion to black tights!

Eliza22 Fri 14-Sep-12 09:42:57

Merino tights sound good..... And, I have some vouchers I've had for ages, which I can use!

But.....BIG BUT.... Are they, in any way, itchy? I cannot wear wool. Makes me itch.

Thanks ladies!

Eliza22 Fri 14-Sep-12 09:44:49

Just had a peek on the website. Are they the Autograph range at £9.50? Less expensive than White Stuff and around the same as M&Co.

Eliza22 Fri 14-Sep-12 09:46:17

Bugger! Do they only come in "Carbon" (black)?

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Fri 14-Sep-12 09:49:41

I think H&M do quite a big range of colourful winter tights in their larger stores, not very expensive either.

ujjayi Fri 14-Sep-12 09:50:12

Yes they are the Autograph ones. Not remotely itchy - they feel like cotton IMO.

The carbon ones are dark grey/gunmetal shade. Definitely not black (I have both colours). I also have dark brown but those were from last year. I am sure they had burgundy etc though and would be surprised if they don't have them in stock soon since it appears to be the colour of the season.

Eliza22 Fri 14-Sep-12 09:52:21

Ooooh thanks! Good old M&S!

SloeFarSloeGood Fri 14-Sep-12 10:29:33

H & m ones are good. M & S aren't good quality anymore.

boodles Fri 14-Sep-12 10:33:35

What is the sizing like on the M&S ones? Is it best to size up to make sure the crotch isn't around the knees lol

TheBirdsTheBirds Fri 14-Sep-12 10:47:31

Falke family tights are great, I have loads - they last forever and are ridiculously comfy round the waist. They used to do loads of colours, you might be able to find more than this website have by googling.

vesela Fri 14-Sep-12 10:47:44

Heffalumps - yes, I saw orange cotton tights in H&M yesterday. I got some grey ones from them last year and liked them.

ujjayi Fri 14-Sep-12 11:14:19

sizing is accurate on M&S.

Abzs Fri 14-Sep-12 11:18:27

I have two pairs from F&F (Tesco). They are two years old and haven't shrunk, bobbled or caught in the normal wash. However, despite both being labelled as small, the grey ones are bigger and stretchier than the black.

Mumelie Fri 14-Sep-12 19:40:23

New Look but might be a bit too crochet?

SueVaz Mon 08-Oct-12 17:24:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now