Owners of skinny legs - please help!

(22 Posts)
Zwitterion Sun 26-Aug-12 18:16:29

Specifically skinny calves and ankles (apple shaped)

What do you wear shoe/boot wise? I can't wear converse type things as look like a golf club (size 7s). Boots of all lengths can look like wellies.

Any advice gratefully received.

SherbetDibDab Sun 26-Aug-12 18:23:43

Yes me too and I'm a size 7.

This M&S boot size guide was really helpful, just to show where most high street boots fit. My calves are about 33cm.
www.marksandspencer.com/Find-your-Perfect-Boot-Fit-Shoes-Womens/b/1983705031

Have you looked at Duo, they do calf widths www.duoboots.com/

Zwitterion Sun 26-Aug-12 18:42:32

Thanks Sherbet just checked out the M and S guide. Really useful. Like you I'm a 33 round the calf, but according to their guide even their fitted boots will be 5 cm too big.

I think I might need a bit of chunk though for balance - a very fitted boot might just make my legs look skinnier.

donotsquandertime Sun 26-Aug-12 18:43:39

watching with interest, owner of very skinny legs calf a pathetic 31", i avoid all wedge type shoe or anything clumpy, I am also tallish (5' 8) and size 5 shoe so i go for ballet pumps or if i need a heel something like this delicate looking

www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/uk/en/zara-W2012/269191/828386/POINTED%20MEDIUM%20HEEL%20SHOE

Pastabee Sun 26-Aug-12 19:00:51

I really rate Duo boots and they even have some on sale at the moment.

Fairyliz Sun 26-Aug-12 19:38:26

I also rate Duo boots which come in calf sizes so you get the perfect fit. They are quite expensive but I bought some very plain black knee high boots and they lasted five winters so they were good value.

DonaAna Sun 26-Aug-12 19:45:13

I have long and skinny legs and long and skinny feet. 5 ft 8 and foot size 7/8.
Some footwear (converse, flat loafers, pointy-toed flat boots) looks truly awful and comic on me. Remember trigonometry? You can make your feet shorter by increasing the height of the heel. Wedges are very good for that. Have also bought a pair of cowboy boots that have a magical Cuban heel and cropped to that make my feet appear smaller although they are very roomy and comfy. Also have navy wedge desert boots with laces that fit my skinny ankles perfectly - I wear them a lot with navy tights.

Light color shoes appear visually larger - I very rarely buy white or nude shoes (some exceptions allowed). Footwear stays in proportion if the rest of your outfit is correctly balanced - I usually want to show off my legs but wear skirts or dresses that are quite full - boxy shapes don't work.

I have very skinny calves, regular off the shelf boots are usually about 1 or 2 inches too loose around my calves. Not a flattering look. Go to the independent shoe store near you and ask for extra narrow boots. They always tell me to come early in the season (none left by sales time). Found a pair of perfect black tall boots yesterday (a Swedish brand, Billi Bi). Also found out that Aigle riding boots have different calf widths - the narrowest ones are actually too narrow for me (this never happens) smile . The cobbler can also fix some boots. I buy most of my clothes online but brick and mortar stores are much better for shoe shopping - trying them on and going for the perfect fit is essential.

GobblersKnob Sun 26-Aug-12 20:13:38

I disagree, I am 5'10" slim, very skinny legs, size 7 and live in converse and flat boots (except for summer). It is a look I like on me and on other people, I look like a twat in any kind of heels, I am tall enough already.

Lace up boots are always going to fit better.

SherbetDibDab Sun 26-Aug-12 20:25:05

DonaAna - Like the sound of the navy wedge boots. Where did you get those? x

marriednotdead Sun 26-Aug-12 20:31:39

I am also an apple with twig legs, and to. Om

DonaAna Sun 26-Aug-12 20:37:31

Navy suede Pier One on Zalando, last winter.

marriednotdead Sun 26-Aug-12 20:39:46

I am also an apple with twig legs, and to complicate things, I have to wear orthotics in my shoes/boots which limits my choices further still.

Before that happened, I had a beautiful pair of suede wedge boots from Duo.

After a couple of years in boot wilderness, I was thrilled to find a black pair of these in Dune last year which were actually tight enough to stay up smile

I tend to wear them leggings/jeggings/skinny jeans with tunic length tops or looser vest tops and long cardies. They are not quite as smart as I'd like but I wore them to a funeral with thick tights and a skirt suit without raising any eyebrows.

Hairtodayandgonetomorrow Sun 26-Aug-12 20:43:53

You just have to shop around and try on every pair until you find a pair, I have a couple of pairs from moda in pelle, but again some of their styles look like wellies on me. I'd avoid shops that do vanity sizing (eg, Next and M+S)

Hairtodayandgonetomorrow Sun 26-Aug-12 20:44:40

(moda in pelle do boot promotions every now and again and have a sale section on their website. I paid £40 for each of my pairs instead of £140)

Zwitterion Sun 26-Aug-12 20:47:32

Thanks all - great tips. Need to get trying on.

Zwitterion Sun 26-Aug-12 20:55:05

But <wobble> those of you saying go for fitted, are you slim all over and in proportion?

I love my legs but the rest of me is a bit lumpy, with norkage (size 12, 5'6") I don't want to look (even more) like a child's drawing.

marriednotdead Sun 26-Aug-12 21:04:54

I'm 5'6", can wear size 10 jeans if the waist is generous enough for my belly, and enough norks to need a 14 top. No one has ever told me I look freaky. Do it!

Zwitterion Sun 26-Aug-12 21:22:08

Thank you marriednotdead

Claudiecat Sun 26-Aug-12 21:36:52

I have skinny legs and only take size 2. Even more of a nightmare. I got some lovely knee length Dune boots last year which fitted perfectly round my legs. Have to wear thick socks though as they were a size 3. Also have a couple of pairs from Aldo which are narrow round the legs.
Duo are a nightmare for me. It's not the calves but the ankles. I tried and sent back three different pairs from there. Calf fit was fine but they were all baggy round the ankles. As I pointed out to them on the phone most people with skinny calves have skinny ankles too! Annoying is not the word!

Millie1 Sun 26-Aug-12 21:50:22

Oooh I love this thread - lots of legs just like mine! I think I'm an apple, although a boobless apple (!), and I have really skinny calves too. 33cm in Duo boots does me. I love Duo for long boots and live in them (mainly Brindisis) all winter with skinny jeans. Skinny jeans usually go into hibernation for the summer months .... except a few months back I was stuck for something to wear so pulled on my skinnies with flat shoes. Thought it looked okay. Then read the 'Parsnip' thread on here, thought 'bugger, that's me' blush so skinny jeans now back in wardrobe until October. Anyway, I digress. I'd like to go into heels this year (bunion allowing) so am on the hunt for a heeled boot - maybe an ankle boot for straight jeans but after the parsnip thread, a heeled long boot for skinnies - or is that look a bit yesterday?

Shall go back to links and reading now grin

Andrea6906 Wed 11-May-16 18:39:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MamaDuckling Wed 11-May-16 19:48:26

Jones introduced a slim fit range which was perfect for my twiglet legs.

I also have long skinny feet and find that for casual trainers, Fred Perry or Converse look fine, just be sure to go for the 'low cut' ones (that don't lace up as far as the regular styles). Much more flattering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now