Talk

Advanced search

Perfume on a budget...

(52 Posts)
Fourfingerkitkat Thu 26-Jul-12 19:04:37

It's my birthday tomorrow and although I've got about £100 to spend (yipee !) I don't want to spend £40 on one bottle of perfume...I'm not working at the moment and want to get as much for my money as possible. I've smelled a few perfumes in M&S in the past and Zara and thought they were quite nice, from memory they were around £10...can anyone recommend any nice cheapish perfumes...?

BandersnatchCummerbund Thu 26-Jul-12 19:23:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DizzieSiddal Thu 26-Jul-12 19:25:28

Lush solid perfumes are lovely and about the £6 mark - they're a bit different from all the same old, same old department store perfumes too. I love the Vanillary one best - it's my 'signature' scent smile
Body Shop have some nice ones too.
Happy birthday!

Itsgottabebags Thu 26-Jul-12 19:26:35

Try TK Maxx for perfume. May cost a little more than a tenner but will cost considerably less than the RRP OP.

Lovemy3kids Thu 26-Jul-12 19:39:56

Next always has some lovely ones. Try the supermarkets for your rave brands, they are sometimes cheaper too smile

minsmum Thu 26-Jul-12 19:40:59

Lidl do a very nice perfume for I think 3.99. When I wear it without fail I get told how nice it is and asked where I got it.

It was recommended by an MN'er too

wriggletto Thu 26-Jul-12 20:09:30

TK Maxx is good for a lot of perfumes.

Or, if you want a cheaper option - Yardley's single note floral eau(x) de toilette(s?) are actually surprisingly pretty and refreshing, and cheap as chips at Boots. I like Royal Diamond, which smells very similar to Chloe, and Peony, which is a lovely pinky floral. Royal Daisy is also summery and light. Not a huge amount of staying power, but so bargainaceous you can spritz away happily.

I always have a bottle of White Musk perfume oil from the Body Shop on the go too.

Babyrabbits Thu 26-Jul-12 20:13:30

Lidl purfume is fab, just like chanel and. £4.

snowmummy Thu 26-Jul-12 20:34:06

I love the lush solid perfumes too.

Belshels Thu 26-Jul-12 20:37:22

Avon new perfume by Fergie is very good and £15 for bottle, handbag size spray and body spray

Fourfingerkitkat Fri 27-Jul-12 09:03:17

Thanks for the replies....Have smelled the Lidl one and didn't really like it to be honest. Will give the Lush solid perfumes a look, like the sound of them. Also found L'Occitane solid perfumes online so will have a look at them in town today too....After my liquid lunch !

glastocat Fri 27-Jul-12 09:05:34

Ohh where did you find the L'occitane perfume online? I love it but its pretty expensive in the shops.

ILikeMagicMike Fri 27-Jul-12 09:17:23

Whatever you do, don't get a "celebrity" perfume. They are all vile IMO.

Some work colleagues once got me the Katie Price perfume as a birthday gift...I felt like saying "Thanks, but do you actually know me?" grin

It went straight on eBay

I was given a Victorias Secret perfume as a present and it was lovely. Found a seller on ebay and have bought them for other people as a present now...
ebaylink

LottieJenkins Fri 27-Jul-12 09:31:32

I lurve Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden which isn't vastly expensive!!!

otchayaniye Fri 27-Jul-12 09:33:05

actually, sarah jessica parker's lovely is a very well composed floral musk.

i've got near fifty bottles and recommend fragonard soliflores for cheapo smells. or khiels musk oil.

i buy lots on ebay.

otchayaniye Fri 27-Jul-12 09:33:51

should add that's fifty different bottles (not fifty bottles of lovely)

LynetteScavo Fri 27-Jul-12 09:36:00

I think Next do a few different purfums. None were quite to my taste becasue I am a purfume snob but they wouldn't break the bank.

TheonlyWayisGerard Fri 27-Jul-12 09:37:45

River Island have a lovely perfume called Perfect. It costs £7 I think.

BupcakesandCunting Fri 27-Jul-12 09:47:08

My favourite perfume at the moment is Eden by Cacherel. It smells expensive but you can get it for around £11-12 from Superdrug. I usually spend £30-£40 on perfumes but I am sticking with this now. My mate had it on when we were out a few weeks back and everyone complimentedher on it. I was shocked when I found out it was cheapola! It is in the same vein as perfumes like Rive Gauche/Belle d'Opium/Alien. If you like heady/musky scents then try this one. Last all day too.

ILikeMagicMike Fri 27-Jul-12 09:49:07

Off to buy some Eden - sounds like my kind of scent - thanks Bupcakes!

SkinnyVanillaLatte Fri 27-Jul-12 09:50:55

Vanderbilt is absolutely gorgeous,and v.reasonable. Also lasts well.

I agree with Bupcakes that Eden is lovely and also Lottie with Sunflowers (though I find that doesn't last on me quite so well)

SkinnyVanillaLatte Fri 27-Jul-12 09:54:23

Oh,and...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

smile

CutItOutAndRestart Fri 27-Jul-12 10:12:20

would you consider perfume oils? That way you can have the smell of an expensive perfume at a fraction of the cost.

do a search on ebay for perfume oils, I have had lots in the past from base.notez and have been very happy smile

DonaAna Fri 27-Jul-12 10:28:35

I buy sample size versions of niche perfumes. For a fiver, you get something very valuable at Les Senteurs. I love Grossmith perfumes and Andy Tauer's L'air du desert marocain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now