Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me some earplugs please!

(25 Posts)
archfiend Mon 16-Jul-12 17:55:08

OK so not strictly S&B but there is a danger I will be left massively sleep deprived and raddled so I guess that counts...

DH snores like a tiny earthquake quite a lot. Not usually a problem at home as I can escape to the spare room if it gets too much, but we are going away soon and I can't face 12 nights of it. I have Bioears earplugs at the moment which sort of work but I don't like the squelchy feeling in my ears when I've been wearing them for a bit.

Any recommendations for decent, seriously noise cancelling earplugs please??

PippiL Mon 16-Jul-12 18:11:22

mack's dream girl from snorestore.co.uk

Check amazon as they might be cheaper

yellowraincoat Mon 16-Jul-12 18:13:05

Earplugs for women? WTH?

I use these I can't even here my partner talking to me if he comes in after I've inserted them.

You can buy them even cheaper on ebay I think.

PippiL Mon 16-Jul-12 18:15:25

I started off with silicone plugs, but they aren't really meant for sleeping, and I found that after a few nights wear the skin in my ear would get irritated.

You need something softer for prolonged use. With the soft foamy ones you can get a few uses out of them, but they don't last forever.

I bought cheap ones on amazon that looked like the mack's ones but they were rubbish. Really hard to get into your ear, and only lasted one use. Waste of money.

cheesymonster Mon 16-Jul-12 18:15:57

I use the ones yellow uses. They are the most comfortable to wear all night out of the many I've tried and block out the most noise.

CMOTDibbler Mon 16-Jul-12 18:16:16

these are amazingly good

PippiL Mon 16-Jul-12 18:16:36

I've found those Howard thingy ones too big for my dainty little ear canal!

Piccalilli2 Mon 16-Jul-12 18:24:14

How does one know if one has a smaller ear canal?! I have some French ones called Quies which are ok but after a sleepless night in a travelodge above a wagamamas this weekend I'm looking for something more hardcore.

archfiend Mon 16-Jul-12 18:45:47

Thank you! Will give them a go, you lot may have saved my sanity!

Tamisara Mon 16-Jul-12 18:51:10

I have tried loads, and at the moment favour wax ones. I got quite a load from Boots, on the 3 for 2 offer (they are called Muffles).

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Jul-12 18:58:35

I have the howard leight ones, I get mine off ebay though.

Gillybobs Mon 16-Jul-12 19:07:26

Blue silicone earplugs from boots are amazing. SOft and mouldable, much much better than the yellow foam ones. As a ridiculously light sleeper I have many years experience : )

PippiL Mon 16-Jul-12 20:23:29

I find the silicone ones stick to my hair and come out!

I'd be interested to try the ones dibbler suggested. Reusable is so much more cost effective.

trumpton Mon 16-Jul-12 20:53:03

I use the soft mouldable ones but have to cut them shorter to keep them comfy .

coffeeinbed Mon 16-Jul-12 21:26:34

Boots wax ones.
rest is useless.

archfiend Mon 16-Jul-12 21:41:41

The silicone ones work but they do stick and I don't find them that comfortable. Have ordered some of the Leight ones and may also get the ones CMOT has recommended - come what may, I will sleep on my holiday!

Pollykitten Mon 16-Jul-12 21:48:00

I've been wearing earplugs for 12 years - I find the best ones are superdrug own brand as the end is nicely shaped. The posh option that they use in heavy industry is custom made - never done it myself but could be worth it if it's a long term thing or your ears are sensitive? Superdrug do me fine though and I'm a right fussy moo

aVentingAngel Tue 17-Jul-12 20:45:12

I buy Mack's earplugs from www.allearplugs.com. The Ultra Safe Sound Ear Plugs block everything but can be uncomfortable if you have narrow ear canals. There's definitely a knack to getting them in (roll tightly and quickly insert in ear while pulling ear up and out). I'm trying the Mack's Sound Asleep/Snore Blocker ones at the moment; these are more comfortable but not quite as effective. (There doesn't seem to be any difference between these apart from the colour.)

T0BY Sat 21-Dec-13 08:21:24

I used to use the foam ones but they were rubbish because they kept falling out and waking me up. I got some of these www.zenplugs.com/molded-earplugs which are much better at staying in.

coribells Sat 21-Dec-13 08:31:36

I've used the wax ones from boots for years and years. A pack will get you through 12 nights

gerbiltamer Sat 21-Dec-13 12:09:16

I agree with Pollykitten: Superdrug own brand are a good size/shape, plus they last well. They are also sold in large boxes too.I agree

BoFo Thu 26-Dec-13 19:40:31

Bio ears are great (I get a pack of three from large boots store) you can mould them and they're reusable with a storage container. They block out everything!

BoFo Thu 26-Dec-13 19:43:08

Oops, sorry blush I see you've tried bio ears. Some.good suggestions here and I hope you get some sleep!

hugoagogo Thu 26-Dec-13 20:04:25

dh swears by 3M classic earplugs- you can buy a bag of 50 pairs from amazon for £7.

I can't put up with them I just hear them creak. hmm

We lost 5 stone between us this year and the snoring has stopped wink

nasirDZ Sat 05-Nov-16 06:09:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now