Talk

Advanced search

Stone Roses gig - what do I wear!

(145 Posts)
lamandler Tue 26-Jun-12 21:14:19

Very excited about seeing the Stone Roses at Heaton Park this weekend, but having a total style crisis. So, here I am, nearly 40, 2 dcs, live in jeans and converse (not even skinnies) - and this is probably my last chance to relive my twenties!

Given the fact that it will probably pour with rain, please give me inspiration!

ThePathanKhansWitch Tue 26-Jun-12 21:15:56

Shellsuit? grin.

hairymelons Tue 26-Jun-12 21:32:33

Jeans tucked into wellies (bring tights AND leggings to put on under jeans when it gets freezing at night), then vest top, followed by t-shirt/long sleeved top, then cardi/jumper, then hoodie, then coat, then waterproof. Also take hat, scarf & gloves. And hip flask of rum.

You will look ridiculous but will be warm & dry.

lamandler Tue 26-Jun-12 21:36:25

Aw, i thought I would have a chance to feel young and hip. Cold with a hip flask then.

Freshletticia Tue 26-Jun-12 21:37:49

Arf at witch
For gigs, especially outside, think sensible bottom half, frivolous top half.
So, jeans or shorts, walking boots / wellies, / Dr Martens / New Rocks
Pretty top, warm layers, wicked, yet practical rain and sun proof hat, feathers, tutus, wings, ravey cutout tops, temporary tattoos, stick-on jewels, sparkly makeup, hair decorations. Good over-shoulder small bag or belt bag to keep your hands free. Plenty of tissues and hand gel for the loos.
Have fun!

noddyholder Tue 26-Jun-12 21:38:41

I saw them in teh late 80s wore a tie dye bikini and converse

noddyholder Tue 26-Jun-12 21:40:49

Dp has just said it was 91 grin I am now 46 and can't believe i thought i was fat even then

bigbadbarry Tue 26-Jun-12 21:43:10

I am going too. Am slightly past the try-to-get-off-with-the-band stage, I thought jeans and converse and a nice warm cardy! Welles if it rains this week; shorts if a miracle happens and the sun shines. Hat if sunny. Excited!

Elfontheedge Tue 26-Jun-12 21:45:23

Wellies. The forecast is rain this weekend!

bigbadbarry Tue 26-Jun-12 21:46:41

I won't allow rain. Fond of the roses as I am, I have no desire to stand in a rain field all day.

ThePathanKhansWitch Tue 26-Jun-12 21:49:18

I'm so envy of you lot! Ian Brown, how beautiful was he?

bronze Tue 26-Jun-12 21:50:24

Not read the thread but haha
We're going too and were discussing what to wear as we're haggard And past it

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 26-Jun-12 21:51:40

wellies or docs
that park is sodden right now. even if we get a few dry days it will still be a mudbath, as evidenced by the state of my poor leopard print ballet pumps

I'm going on the Saturday. My rain outfit is skinnies, black or cherry with plain black top(s), black wellies and my proper waterproof coat which is a bit like a parka. My sunshine outfit was better. We'll be able to hear the other two nights from the garden grin

I was in Heaton Park today in my toms and it was fine, I wasn't near where the concert is though.

braindeadfred Tue 26-Jun-12 21:55:13

Definitely second wellies. Rather than jeans though, I'd go for shorts and leggings, or even a dress as jeans are horrible when wet. It WILL rain, so take a proper waterproof, and as others have said, take festive headgear - straw hat with a flower maybe - and an over-the-shoulder bag. Enjoy!

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 26-Jun-12 21:56:33

you had a lucky escape - i managed to walk through some sort of bog on my way to feed the evil geese

soon2bmumof3 Tue 26-Jun-12 22:01:35

I'm going on Saturday and am 22 wks preggo.... No idea what I'm gonna wear?! A tent maybe!

wildkat Tue 26-Jun-12 22:05:29

Funny concert dressing tips

mamalovesmojitos Tue 26-Jun-12 22:07:02

Casual dress (tea dress type thing), wellies/ knee high boots, parka and cross-body bag.

bronze Tue 26-Jun-12 22:09:40

Ok so wellies jegging type things t shirt, jumper, and waterproof

Bah so much for trying to feel young again, back to frumpy mum clothes

HmmThinkingAboutIt Tue 26-Jun-12 22:29:52

Something old and you don't mind getting ruined. Something warm, very waterproof, mud proof, piss proof, beer proof. If the rain doesn't get you, the drunks will.

Forecast for the entire weekend is dire. And although they have put some flooring down, its not everywhere - only right in front of the stage, so there will be large mud patches. There has been flooding around approaches to the park. They are likely to have put metal walkways down in most places, but the edges and gaps between them are not going to be nice, especially if you are going on Saturday or Sunday after 60 odd thousand people have trampled their way through the previous nights. And lets not talk about the off sight carparking...

Seriously, do not worry about being fashionable. It should be the least of your concerns. Everyone will end up in ultra sexy ponchos, even the most fashionable, by the end of the day. I went to gig on Friday in the downpour at civilised stadium - didn't put poncho on for an hour because I didn't want to look a dick. After two hours wearing it I wasn't any wetter, but because I was damp, I'd got that cold I thought I was in danger of developing hypothermia if I wasn't careful. Its just not worth trying to be cool in those kind of conditions.

Your converse WILL get ruined - do not wear!!! You have been warned. Wellies are pretty much the only way forward. Make sure any waterproof you have, really is waterproof and has hood. Jeans hold water (and mud and piss). Combats or leggings dry much quicker and are much more comfortable. You'll freeze in a dress or shorts later in the night.

If you don't have wellies, Decathlon is your friend. Short cut wellies in various bright colours for £6.99. They have matching good quality (as in not a plastic bag and actually reusable) ponchos for again £6.99. This will be the sexy, cool look of the weekend...

Oh and don't forget the warm, dry change of clothes for the car. You will want to strip in public by end of the night!

lamandler Tue 26-Jun-12 22:33:57

Jeez. In full on mum mode here now googling where nearest fecking outdoor gear shop is sad

lamandler Tue 26-Jun-12 22:34:40

And the toilets! My god what will they be like!

MintChocAddict Tue 26-Jun-12 22:35:47

Never heard Ian Brown described as beautiful before. Boak! wink
No clothing advice, however if near the end you spot a drunk nearly forty something Glaswegian male, point him in the direction of the buses.
Ta much.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now