Talk

Advanced search

Can someone please recommend the best hair straighteners?

(36 Posts)
Disappearing Sat 16-Jun-12 22:57:23

Hi all, I've never owned a decent pair of hair straighteners, I've always coveted GHDs but have made do without them, but my new hairstyle really would benefit from straightening.

So are GHDs really all that good? I've read online reviews that the latest version is not as good as the previous ones, also that some major retailers have been unwittingly selling fakes, perhaps this has led to some of the bad reviews.

Are there any other comparable or better straighteners out there? I heard that titanium straighteners are hotter than even GHDs, tho I'm not sure that's a good thing!

Thanks

I have GHDs but also had Remington ones and they were great

Well I've had my GHDs for 7 years and they are amazing...I wouldn't want anything hotter! (ruefully remembering the time I sat on them..ow!)

dexter73 Sun 17-Jun-12 06:17:33

GHD's

bigTillyMint Sun 17-Jun-12 06:45:19

GHD's although I had a pair of Andrew Collinge ones which DD uses now and they must be about 6 years old. The GHD's are quicker and hotter.

rarebreed Sun 17-Jun-12 06:54:11

I had GHD's for years but they died a couple of months ago so I bought some Babyliss ones, they are amazing! Got them from Argos, just as good as GHD's.

chocoroo Sun 17-Jun-12 06:57:13

GHDs all the way for me. I've had two pairs in 11 years so they last pretty well too, especially as I've been known to use them at least twice a day.

FoxPass Sun 17-Jun-12 08:55:12

Cloud 9 are supposed to be good -variable temp but also work well at a lower temp. Designed by the guy who originally designed GHDs.

Tangointhenight Sun 17-Jun-12 08:57:20

GHDs, I've had a fake pair too and they were fab lol!!

tittytittyhanghang Sun 17-Jun-12 08:57:24

GHD's

Tangointhenight Sun 17-Jun-12 08:58:55

There's a make on eBay called SHEs, they are great too, exactly the same as ghds without the huge pricetag...if you have thick hair get the wide ones!!

GHD's. I tried the Braun ones from Argos after a recommendation on here and they were awful. Went straight back...
I got my GHD's from my haidresser and they had an offer on so they were £80... I have not regretted my purchase for one second! They are the best...

FormerlyTitledUntidy Sun 17-Jun-12 13:35:36

ghd all the way for me. I've had one pair since 2005, got them on sale on Asos, think about £80? They have paid for themselves really.
I've just learned how to curl with them blush

moonmrs Sun 17-Jun-12 13:43:05

GHDs are amazing, they are expensive but as everyone else says they pay for themselves over the years and they really are worth their money. Like tango says, the wider ones are brilliant and save you time if you have long/thick hair. I would never be without mine, I can actually have a hairstyle these days instead of tying it up all the time. I have used lots of other comparable straighteners in the past but for me it has to be GHDs.

BedHeadTigi Sun 17-Jun-12 16:44:32

I have GHD's, im on my third pair which is the mk4 made in korea ones that i bought 3 years ago. The new ones that are now manufactured in china are the not so good ones and are no way like the older models. When this set stop working im going to get cloud9 ones instead.

whenyouseeitwaveorcheer Sun 17-Jun-12 17:42:48

GHDs

janmoomoo Mon 18-Jun-12 10:14:10

Do a search on the many threads on this previously and you will see its GHD all the way.

I borrowed my sisters babyliss and they were terrible, not hot at all. GHDs rule. My first pair lasted five years of daily use, and had the current pair for three. Get them, you won't regret it.

BlackCatsAndPurpleDogs Mon 18-Jun-12 12:29:40

these

No difference whatsoever between these and GHDs.

Bunbaker Mon 18-Jun-12 13:03:38

I asked my hairdresser this question today and she won't use anything other than GHDs. I have some Remington ones and I think they are just as good.

cumbria81 Mon 18-Jun-12 14:23:27

I have GHDs but always get them second hand off ebay as I am not paying 100 quid new! The last pair I got was 16 quid.

whichever Sun 27-Jul-14 12:21:25

I have GHD's and Cloud 9 salon hair straighteners, which are wider for thicker hair. I would say the two are the same. The only difference is you can choose a lower or higher heat with the settings on cloud 9. I alternate between both and can not notice a difference.

Mollusk Mon 28-Jul-14 19:33:16

I had a pair of GHDs for years and loved them, but the cord went kaput. I ordered the Wonderland model and sent them back as they pulled my hair. Now have Flat Masters, a Korean make I bought at my hairdressers - really like them and they have variable temperature, which is v good for my fine hair.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 28-Jul-14 19:57:11

I bought my first pair of GHD's last year and I bloody love them and would never use anything else.

They come with a holographic security tag with a registration number that you register on the GHD website. So it'll be fairly obvious if they're fake and you'd be able to return them.

user1481743433 Wed 14-Dec-16 20:39:24

I prefer the Karmin hair straightener ;)

biddleyboo Wed 14-Dec-16 20:43:21

I've always had ghds since they came out, still think they do an amazing job, however having recently discovered L'Oréal steampod I'm converted. It isn't cheap but both mine and my daughters hair (hers was snapping with heat damage) is a world healthier. They are a little more cumbersome than ghds but I only straighten my hair once after washing now and it stays straight. Would highly recommend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now