Talk

Advanced search

Bio Oil - does it work?

(12 Posts)
MoreCatsThanKids Thu 24-May-12 16:59:50

Desperate to find something to fade DDs chicken pox scars - she is 13 but only had CP this February - loads were on her face and still are very red - they look more like scars from recent acne/pimples.

Does Bio Oil work? Or can anyone suggest anything else to fade them 'like, yesterday' wink

Is there a good concealer she could use without using a foundation too?

<disaproval of 13 yo wearing lots of orange makeup emoticon>

sugarice Thu 24-May-12 17:10:44

I would suggest Vitamin E oil, Mineral oil clogs the pores. Heal Gel from Victoria Health is also really excellent, I can't recommend it enough but it's dear for a small pot £35 I think.

Dropdeadfred Thu 24-May-12 17:12:49

We have used decleor prolagene gel on dds cp scars for the last month and have seen a real difference on the really deep craters she had on her face

kensingtonkat Thu 24-May-12 17:25:35

I have eczema on my cheeks so am a veteran of sore skin problems.

Bio Oil works on scarring but is expensive, and no more effective than a lot of other oils she could try. It's also got a strangely synthetic ingredients list, and so I'm not sure I altogether trust it.

I'd suggest trying grapeseed oil first, and then some of the "oilier" oils such as avocado or rosehip seed if she has no problems. Dab off the excess grease with a dry flannel so she doesn't get spots.

I've also recently started taking cold-pressed organic coconut oil orally. A brand called Tiana - £15 for a big jar, a tablespoon a day. If you sprinkle some brown sugar on top it actually tastes quite nice. The eczema has disappeared and the scarring from where I've scratched in the night seems to be clearing up too. I'm reluctant to get too excited until I'm completely cured, but I'd 100% recommend giving it a go.

DO NOT use make-up - it will clog pores and worsen sores. If she must cover up, try a powder mineral make-up such as Jane Iredale - I've used it for years without problems, and it's recommended by dermatologists.

sugarice Thu 24-May-12 17:28:20

Sorry , I meant to say don't use Bio Oil as it's basically mineral oil and full of crap.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 24-May-12 19:11:03

Is she eating properly? she needs zinc, vit c, vit b group and and plenty of water.

Your skin cannot heal if it doesnt have the basic building blocks to re-build.

My diet as a teenager was more doughnuts, cherryade and choc.

Fwiw I have used bio oil on my skin and it wasnt great. I'm using it up as a leg oil at the moment.

Dermalogica do a masque called "multivitamin power recovery masque" which is very good for reducing redness. I get mine off eBay as it is cheaper.

MelBanks Fri 02-Nov-12 12:46:55

kensingtonkat I was also about to recommend Tiana Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil. It really worked for me. I had eczema and serious acne scars and I tried Bio Oil but it was Rubbish. It was taking to long and I got impatient. It can take up to years of constant use to get the skin you want, its a money making scam. Coconut Oil... well, TIANAs coconut oil is reliable, tasty and acts fast. And its a multi purpose product. You can use it for cooking and hair care, when you consider all these factors, it doesn't seem quite as expensive.

knitknack Fri 02-Nov-12 12:50:00

Don't use bio-oil, it's mineral oil as every else has pointed out and is a giant great big rip-off, not to mention pore-clogging. You could pierce a vit E capsule and use that instead.

Birdies Fri 02-Nov-12 12:51:42

It doesn't work on stretchmarks. People who think it does probably wouldnt have got them anyway. I spent a fortune on it in my last pregnancy and was chuffed that I had no stretchmarks - then two weeks before I gave birth they all appeared. Save your money

IslaValargeone Fri 02-Nov-12 14:39:06

I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up, but I am convinced it is the very act of massaging that stimulates skin recovery, rather than an expensive oil. Massage gets the blood supply going, I think you could get equally good results with olive oil or anything to be honest.

cedge Fri 02-Nov-12 14:45:23

IslaValargeone - i wholeheartedly agree!

Morecatsthankids - a good diet is probably most important at your daughters age as her skin is renewing well at this age anyway.

FunBagFreddie Fri 02-Nov-12 17:02:16

Royal jelly and honey is good. A wealthy woman who was into her cosmetic surgery told me that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now