Talk

Advanced search

Horrible hard thickened lump of dry scalp

(26 Posts)
ahhhhhpushit Fri 20-Apr-12 21:12:03

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I have what I think is a circular patch of horrid thick scalp that I can pull off in lumps although if I do this it is so tangled with my hair it takes forever to get out. It is totally white. It is so thickened it feels totally numb IYKWIM.

I am pregnant and T-gel says you can't use it when pregnant?

I'm wondering if it is psoriasis??? Nothing anywhere else on my scalp, it is right at the back near the top - like where you'd put a high ponytail.

Any ideas?

kaumana Fri 20-Apr-12 21:14:36

Do you feel a bump underneath it? My friend had something similar and out turned out she had a cyst.

HavePatience Fri 20-Apr-12 21:21:17

I am a bit paranoid, but I'd get this checked out by your GP.

Dollydowser Fri 20-Apr-12 21:23:42

My first thought was psoriasis. Is it bright red around/underneath it? Sunlight really helps psoriasis so if when we get some sun try to expose your head to it!

kaumana Fri 20-Apr-12 21:26:14

As HavePatience said go and see your GP please don't think you'll be wasting their time.

ahhhhhpushit Fri 20-Apr-12 21:28:41

No lump at all just a sort of thick patch. Yes Dolly my hairdresser commented it looked red.

Does anyone know any good over the counter stuff?

Good tip about sunlight!

Melfish Fri 20-Apr-12 21:34:13

Use a nit comb to get the chunks down the hair shaft. I have a dry scalp and find combing my hair with a nit comb helps exfoliate my scalp. That and drying it well, either with the sun or a hair dryer. I use nizoral shampoo about once a week to keep it in check.

kaumana Fri 20-Apr-12 21:37:52

Honestly, it could be many things, however we can't diagnose it for you. A GP will be able to look at it and give you themeans to deal with it. I wouldn' t waste my time "trying" over the counter stuff , I'd make an appointment just. so I could rid of it quickly iykwim

HavePatience Fri 20-Apr-12 21:55:55

Yes especially as you are pg. you want to get safe treatment.

hellymelly Fri 20-Apr-12 22:20:52

My friend had exactly the same, in the same place. GP said psoriasis, it did go eventually and she didn't get patches anywhere else. I would check with your GP, but my friend massaged the dry patch with olive oil I think.

Fuctifano Sat 21-Apr-12 09:08:03

I have had this in the exact location which your describe
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001959/
I had it as a child and it was treated using coal tar shampoo (not safe in first three months of pregnancy) and almond oil massaged onto the "thickened lump" to loosen the flakes until over a period of time it breaks down.
It did recurr during pregnancy most likely due to increased oil production. Oh the joys...
In those times I used baby cradle cap shampoo and almond oil. And now all my friends bring their cradle cap babies to me for my gentle yet effective flake loosening skills.
Obviously see the Dr but over the wknd this might help you feel like you are doing something.

ujjayi Sat 21-Apr-12 11:26:41

It does sound like scalp psoriasis - DH gets it. Please check with GP just to be sure. Aveda Shampure is much better for the scalp than T-Gel. DH has been using T-Gel for years with no significant affect. 1 week using Shampure every day and his scalp was much improved with no itching or flaking after 2 weeks. He won't use any other shampoo now smile

ahhhhhpushit Sat 21-Apr-12 13:26:09

Hi everyone. Well I went to see the chemist this morning I she does think it is scalp psoriasis.

She gave me some coconut oil to rub on at night at a Barefoot Doctor shampoo for psoriasis (all natural ingredients so safe to use when pregnant).

Fingers crossed these will do the trick.

Will double check with GP in the week though.

kaumana Sat 21-Apr-12 13:37:13

Hope it does the trick. Coconut oil is fantastic stuff and if you haven't seen it already do a search on here to see the thread about it.

ahhhhhpushit Tue 24-Apr-12 22:37:21

HUGE improvement already! It's practically gone!!!!!!! Amazing smile

kaumana Wed 25-Apr-12 18:51:09

Welcome to the coconut crew!

aboutbeauty Thu 26-Feb-15 11:38:58

Something similar happened to me, I had dry scalp all my life, so I just serached the net and that's what I found: mantello.co.uk/hair/dandruff-scalp-treat/

I followed the tips and the lump was gone in a weak I actually never knew what that was..

Notonaschoolnight Thu 26-Feb-15 16:43:26

Yep coconut is the bomb and I always leave my conditioner on for ages under a shower cap as that softens the psoriasis plaque letting you comb it off easier (30+ years of scalp psoriasis) you'll find it improves in the summer

Kennington Thu 26-Feb-15 21:13:47

I had similar sounding thing and it was fungal.....I used dandruff shampoo and dried my scalp quickly after washing. Took a few days to go completely....

Stormsdog2 Tue 23-May-17 08:21:27

I know this thread is long dead, I just wanted to add to it tho. For the past few months I've been developing the same thick flaky scalp as the poster described. I'd pick a bit off and it would be tangled with hair.
Tried everything from shampoos to salt water. Thankfully read coconut oil on here. GONE. Can't believe it worked smile
100% coconut oil. Try it. Brilliant. And thanks for this post!

FeckinTerrified Tue 23-May-17 08:25:08

how do you get it on, Storm? Ive had Scalp Psoriasis for six years, have never heard of the coco oil!

doesnt it make your hair really greasy???

Haffiana Tue 23-May-17 08:46:50

Coconut oil sorts out cradle cap too!

Stormsdog2 Wed 24-May-17 10:21:45

Hi Terrified, what I did was place the bottle in a sink of hot water. So it's warm and easy to apply. Dampen your hair then slather the oil on. What I did was massage it in and lightly brush it in then massage again. I left it in for 10 hours during the day. I wore a baseball cap to keep it all in place. In the evening I washed with H&S shampoo. Did that for 2 consecutive days and scalp is perfect. I really can't believe that it worked. Try it and let me know how you get on. 😄

SouthChinaMorningPost Wed 24-May-17 22:02:55

Your hair must have loked amazing as well, eh? Might do this tomorrow....

Stormsdog2 Thu 25-May-17 12:20:58

Hi SCMP, yes good for hair too! Highly recommended smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now