Talk

Advanced search

Which shampoo for dry itchy flaky scalp, its not nits!

(21 Posts)
miche8 Mon 16-Apr-12 11:21:52

Help my scalp is dry itchy and flaky, its not nits, have tried head and shoulders which made me itch more and made my hair feel dry, it started after i dyed my hair a couple of weeks ago not sure if its anything to do with the dye though always use nice and easy, was a different shade this time.

Have tried the new loreal sulphate free range and liz earls....any other suggestions?

AspirinDonkeys Mon 16-Apr-12 11:25:57

Try rubbing virgin coconut oil into the scalp and leave it overnight. It soothes itchy scalps.

FaceCrack Mon 16-Apr-12 11:27:02

I use head and shoulders, I think it's fab. I get a really dry scalp and it really helps!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 16-Apr-12 11:29:37

t-gel has been good for me in the past.

londonlottie Mon 16-Apr-12 11:35:06

Aspirin is right about the coconut oil. Really gloopy but works. I have really struggled with this in the past and even went to see Philip Kingsley in his Mayfair clinic a couple of times. To normalise the problem I used his flaky itchy range - most importantly the tonic - with immediate improvement. Now I use his conditioner and tonic but a normal shampoo (I use Aussie Mega which promises no build up) to save a bit of money - the products are expensive but excellent. You can buy trial sizes at www.feelunique.com smile

hathorinareddress69 Mon 16-Apr-12 11:37:24

I use Head and Shoulders on DD2 who also suffers with this.

ShitBallsNassholes Mon 16-Apr-12 11:44:44

Try polytar shampoo it has a strong smell but it really works, also vosene is good.

ujjayi Mon 16-Apr-12 12:13:22

Aveda Shampure. DH has scalp psoriasis and it has finally calmed it down (after years of him insisting on using H&S because he was convinced he had dandruff).

lilibartley Mon 16-Apr-12 13:08:34

I had the same problem, I asked my hairdresser and she warned me off H&S as it makes it worse long term by stripping the oils! She 100% recommended Johnson's baby shampoo, and also Elvive for colour treated hair as it's really gentle. I tried both and they both worked!

warmandwooly Mon 16-Apr-12 15:16:00

L'orel Elvive dark blue bottle.

Iatemyskinnyperson Tue 17-Apr-12 00:36:05

I've been using a brand called moogoo. I got it in a local chemist. Very soothing - sulfate free.

valiumredhead Tue 17-Apr-12 08:37:16

Elvive, dark blue bottle with orange lid. T Gel is good too.

Coconut oil left on over night.

Johnson's baby shampoo is anything but gentle - it's very astringent and my SIL who is a hair dresser often warns against it. Midwives don't recommend it either ime as it's so harsh and can cause reactions.

teta Tue 17-Apr-12 09:40:05

Eucerin shampoo for dry itchy scalps.It works really well on mine and my dd's hair.

zippyrainbowbrite Tue 17-Apr-12 09:51:11

Neals Yard Remedies Lavender shampoo and conditioner - it smells lovely but has no parabens or synthetic perfumes.

Was having difficulty finding any products to use (on my head or on my super sensitive skin!), but over the past 5 months I've tried quite a few things from them and have been fine with everything! smile

cherrypieplum Tue 17-Apr-12 09:53:37

Lush snake oil bar. It's a bit fiddly to apply, especially if your hair is thick like mine but after two uses my scalp was much better.

cherrypieplum Tue 17-Apr-12 09:53:51

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/362/Snake-Oil-Scalp-Treatment-Bar

JessicaF90 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:39:24

I suffer terribly with Psoriasis on my arms and head, I've tried loads of things from the doctors like Coal Tar and Dovobet but my doctor stopped giving me those. I went on the lookout for something else and bought a few things online which all had their pros and cons. Best one I've used so far is from Humankind Organics. I bought a trial size first and noticed a difference straight away, a week later I bought the cream, shampoo & conditioner. One of the things my boyfriend likes the most is less flaky skin on the pillows, it's cleared up nicely. One thing I would say though, it's a little bit on the expensive side, I can't afford it every month. Hope this helps you out, please let me know if you find anything cheaper that works for you.

Bromeliad Fri 21-Apr-17 21:43:52

John masters works for me (expensive though). I've come to the conclusion that itchy scalp solutions are individual however, I've tried all sorts of recommendations before finding something that stops my head itching!

FlouncingInTheRain Fri 21-Apr-17 21:44:05

I've tried all sorts over the years and it gets better for periods then drops off.

Last year I invested in a Mason Pearson bristle and nylon hair brush, having gone onto one of those things mumsnet has recommended threads.

Its not perfect but it is better. The bristle gently scratches and sort of relieves the itchyness. Its supposed to help the spread of natural oils from the scalp. It feels nice and Im a little less scratchy. Cheaper bristle nylon brushes are available and may well have a similar effect.

Wolfiefan Fri 21-Apr-17 21:44:50

Only thing that helps DH is the neutrogena shampoo.

Wolfiefan Fri 21-Apr-17 21:45:19

It's called T gel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now