Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any Stella and Dot "stylists" around?

(22 Posts)
lilaloves Sat 07-Apr-12 16:29:26

I've been lusting after several pieces online and also reading the info on selling the range from home.
Anyone doing this in Uk ? Is it like a high end jewellery party?working on commision?

Mmmm think I mite struggle to part with the goods though.

MissFoodie Sat 07-Apr-12 17:51:40

yes - it's like Pampered Chef/Jamie Oliver/et al, you buy your samples etc and then sell as and when you have time, you only make commission on what you sell.
It's not high end jewellery though - company is v american so take it all with a pinch of salt.
Where are you based? asking as there are over 300 in London/SE!
I have a full time job so do this in my spare time, have not done much since xmas though, but that's my choice.
You have to be realistic as to how much you want to make, I have gotten all my jewellery "free" so to speak, so haven't lost anything, which is what I wanted, so I'm quite happy.

Mummyisamonster Sat 07-Apr-12 20:07:36

Like Missfoodie I'm a stylist and have just received my wonderful starter kit and am itching to get going. I was told I could recoup the cost of my starter kit fee in 4 'trunk' shows...I will let you know if that is realistic or not. The jewellery IS lovely and much nicer in the flesh so to speak. Perhaps hold a trunk show yourself to see if it's for you? Where are you based?

smile

MissFoodie Sat 07-Apr-12 20:25:56

mummy did you just get the starter kit or have you added more pieces?

Ravenscroft Mon 21-May-12 15:23:45

Hi All, lovely to find some fellow Stella & Dotters on Mumsnet! I signed up in October last year and am loving it - I am doing it full time so I don't have to go back to 'normal work'!!!

Karbea Mon 22-Oct-12 08:25:05

Hello,

Resurrecting an old thread!

I'm really considering doing this, but I live in a new area and know no-one, but could do it full time... It is feasible???

Any info greatly welcomed smile

MissFoodie Mon 22-Oct-12 10:06:06

you can do it full time, you will get out of it a) as much as you put in and b) as much as you can sell! it's on commission, so the more you sell the more you make, if you don't sell anything one month you don't make anything, there is no minimum, but obv there are costs involved.
You need to ascertain how much you can invest to start with (you need a decent amount of samples, people want to see stuff, so £1500) and what your minimum gain is, ie if you don't make anything how will you fare? or are you looking to make x per month every month?

Karbea Mon 22-Oct-12 10:37:37

Wow, that much to start up?!?!

I see you set up a website, do they generate much business? I'm happy to spend a lot of time on it, just slightly worried as I know no one in my area in might be pretty stuck, don't these things work by having parties at friends houses?

MissFoodie Mon 22-Oct-12 11:03:49

you need to buy a decent amount of samples - apart from this, display materials, catalogues, business cards, etc are all up to you to buy;
the website is via S&D and is £10 per month, then you have an annual fee to be a stylist;
Dont forget that if you travel to do a trunk show, the petrol, catalogues, gift, etc all comes out of your pocket, therefore is deducted from whatever you make;
£1500 wont get you that many samples! but it's a good start, thereafter, twice a year you can add to them, but, essentially, you can't turn up with 10 pieces!

MissFoodie Mon 22-Oct-12 11:04:07

if you have a look and make a list, you will soon see how much it adds up to!

MaureenCognito Mon 22-Oct-12 15:29:34

love my new renegade ring

it would be about the only shopping party i would be pleased ot go to

MissFoodie Mon 22-Oct-12 15:50:25

do you? glad to hear it, though it's one of my least favourite of their rings!

MaureenCognito Mon 22-Oct-12 15:53:24

really? which do you prefer. I must DM you so I can remember WHO it is who is a S and D then when i want something we can haggle ;)

MissFoodie Mon 22-Oct-12 15:58:40

can only speak for myself, I have big hands, so tend to go for statement or wide rings: faves are
Laurel
Fox
Deco
Starstruck
Odyssey in Labradorite
and Stackable Deco rings

Suzanne is nice, but a bit too small for me!

MaureenCognito Mon 22-Oct-12 15:59:57

i like the stackable ones yes

MaeMobley Mon 22-Oct-12 20:43:21

Hi, I love the Laurel but the largest size was very tight for me in the stackable deco rings. (need to lose weight). I am surprised that for an American brand they don't do larger sizes.

Karbea Mon 22-Oct-12 21:30:50

I know this is a dumb question, but how do you do it full time? I don't have enough friends to continually have parties at their houses, does the website drive new customers to you? Ie if someone randomly orders you can contact them etc??

MissFoodie Mon 22-Oct-12 23:06:55

well, the theory (what they sell you) is that you get at least 2 guests at a party to agree to host one, and so on......
as I say, people that do it full time have to work hard at it: school fetes, etc

it is very unlikely that the website is going to give you a booking, there are a lot of people doing it therefore everyone knows someone who is doing it, or has been invited to a party, or has hosted a party

Karbea Mon 22-Oct-12 23:11:48

mmm so it sounds like you don't really advise doing it then? I'm happy to work hard at it, but as I've no contacts/friends where I live, don't have children etc, it's going to be hard to start I guess :S

MissFoodie Tue 23-Oct-12 10:03:17

i just think you should have all the information so you can make a constructive decision, rather than the sell, sell, sell they give you.
it is worth it, but it is not easy, especially if you don't want to have to ask people to host or you don't like selling.
I think it's worth it, but then it's a hobby as I have a full time job, plus blog which is now being replaced with studying....!

gemgemsstylist Wed 29-Oct-14 19:40:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ren02169 Mon 13-Nov-17 12:22:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now