Talk

Advanced search

coconut oil users

(47 Posts)
IAmBooyhoo Tue 03-Apr-12 20:01:20

when applying coconut to your hair do you wet your hair first or apply it dry? and do you just apply to roots or all over? my hair is mid back length.

I apply it about halfway down to dry hair.

whackamole Tue 03-Apr-12 20:18:09

Dry hair, but not at the root if your hair ever gets greasy. My hair is so dry I can get away with weekly washes but I only put it on from halfway.

Pinot Tue 03-Apr-12 20:21:10

On hair? ooh. I use it as part of ocm.

IAmBooyhoo Tue 03-Apr-12 20:33:06

thank you both. my hair does get greasy. i can go about 3 days before i have to wash it.

pinot how do you use it for OCM? do you use it instead of castor oil?

FoxPass Tue 03-Apr-12 20:54:18

I put it on the ends every night usually. Or a tiny bit all over to tame flyaways in the morning. And once a week I do a deep soak, from ear-level down, braided, overnight.

I use it for ocm as well and I moisturise my legs with it.

IAmBooyhoo Tue 03-Apr-12 21:04:39

do i need to heat it before i apply it?

AfricanExport Tue 03-Apr-12 21:09:19

I use it on dry hair (also from about halfway down) and it is a fantastic moisturiser.

cell2000 Tue 03-Apr-12 21:35:24

Where do you buy it from?

Dawndonna Tue 03-Apr-12 21:35:54

I use it for OCM too. I also use it on my scalp for psoriasis. Doesn't make it any more greasy. I leave it on overnight, hair is gorgeous after it's washed in the morning.

IAmBooyhoo Tue 03-Apr-12 21:44:44

i was actually given a big tub by a friend after she'd heard me talking about it (i'd heard about it on here and was telling her) so not sure where to buy it from. ebay maybe?

Aperolspritzer Tue 03-Apr-12 21:59:49

I bought this

Aperolspritzer Tue 03-Apr-12 22:03:26

oops

also meant to say - apparently there are real health benefits if you ingest it, i'm reading a book called Coconut Oil Miracle - but I haven't tried it yet!

Its great overnight on the face - I think I can even see a big difference on the horrible top lip lines

Dawndonna Tue 03-Apr-12 22:32:50

I get mine for two quid in Superdrug!

Aperolspritzer Tue 03-Apr-12 22:34:56

I tried Superdrug and Tesco as they were recommended on here - couldn't find it (probably all bought by mnetters)

IAmBooyhoo Tue 03-Apr-12 22:36:42

what size is the tub in superdrug and whereabouts should i look for it? in the moisturizer section?

whackamole Wed 04-Apr-12 00:52:49

The tub is about the size of a Sudocrem tub, a bit taller maybe, and is white. I think it was in with the hair treatment stuff? Pretty sure.

I use it for OCM as well, it's great. You don't need to heat it as the melting point is low, just hold it in your hands for a few seconds and it will warm up and melt. Use a spoon to dig it out though, it's really hard!

I really want to try food-grade coconut oil but I'm far too tight.

The tub looks like this

RunningLatte Wed 04-Apr-12 00:58:37

I warm in my hands and put on dry hair then shampoo out.

Used to sunbathe wearing it blush but I am much older and wiser now.

scottishmummy Wed 04-Apr-12 01:04:57

rub between palms,heat of hand warms it up
apply to dry hair, wrap in warm towel

AgnesFemi Wed 04-Apr-12 07:26:08

Apply to dry hair... also apply to the roots... It prevents hair fall.. apply to the split ends of the hair also so that it never gets again!!

GoblersKnob Wed 04-Apr-12 07:32:02

I have oil but have yet to use it. If you put in on hair at night and sleep on it does it not make your pillow oily?

MistyMountainHop Wed 04-Apr-12 08:03:44

apply it to dry hair

i use it all over, all over the scalp first then lengths and ends

i do it before i go to bed and wash out in the morning

MistyMountainHop Wed 04-Apr-12 08:05:25

also, those who use it for OCM, i thought i read you were not supposed to do that as it was pore-blocking?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 04-Apr-12 08:22:44

I use it for OCM on my oily skin,not found it pore clogging at all.

My skin feels lovely after and the smell is divine. I alternate coconut oil with castor and jojoba oil, much prefer the coconut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now