Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teachers should not wear make up!

(38 Posts)
DameDoom Thu 29-Mar-12 23:06:19

This was a comment I received from a parent at Parent's Eve last week. I was speechless. I'm hardly an extra from TOWIE but at 40 years old, I firmly believe no child in my care should have to witness my actual grey complexion, greasy hair and natural dowdiness. I will continue to glam it up - within reason.

whitelillies Thu 29-Mar-12 23:09:43

What a funny comment. What was the background to it? What age children do you teach out of interest?

Did you point the parent in question to the Sn B Section of MN :-P

DameDoom Thu 29-Mar-12 23:43:09

Came on the back of a school uniform 'discussion'. I told the child that huge 3D daisy earrings weren't studs and therefore not uniform. Mother was not best chuffed. Pointed out that the 3Diness of said lug decoration could easily be ripped out accidently, so was a reasonable request. However, that does not cut the mustard with some of our parents - their kids can do whatever they want when they want, innit. The mothers defence was that I wear make-up so why shouldn't her child wear what she wants? By the way - Y6 primary.
Should move to AIBU but too scared.

MayaAngelCool Thu 29-Mar-12 23:48:27

How dare teachers take pride in their appearance? That's not what my taxes should be paying for. Bring back Thatcher. Or...something. <<scrapes barrel>>

<<kicks barrel over>>

<<breaks 1 inch Union Jacked blinged-up fake toenail>>

<<damn>>

grin

Limejelly Thu 29-Mar-12 23:51:11

Of course YANBU, she sounds a delight hmm

However you have given lots of very specific info there, be careful not to out yourself...

mathanxiety Fri 30-Mar-12 06:09:15

Maybe if you wore no makeup you would be so scary you wouldn't get that sort of nonsense at Parent Meetings?

grin

novelsituation Fri 30-Mar-12 06:38:49

Dame D of course UANBI. But agree with Limejelly....

ameliagrey Fri 30-Mar-12 08:13:42

Maybe you should have gone down the route of "I don't have to wear a uniform either. I am and adult, at work, not a child at school."

Jux Fri 30-Mar-12 08:24:26

DD once went to her ht to suggest that as pupils weren't allowed to wear jewellery, teachers shouldn't be allowed to either blush HT kindly said she liked things the way they were, so she wouldn't be changing anything. DD was in Y4 at the time.

It might have been something put forward by pupils and dd was simply performing her duty as a Schl Councillor, but I think it was mainly motivated by self-interest grin

ToothbrushThief Fri 30-Mar-12 08:32:09

Our local newspaper ran an article about an mother outraged because her son had been sent home from school and told he could not return until he wore the correct uniform shoes. (Non branded, black shoes/trainers)

The purpose was to stop kids insisting (competing) on more and more expensive trainers and theft of said trainers etc etc

Everyone had received a letter stating this at end of summer term and it had been made clear there would be NO tolerance. Kids would be sent home for wearing flash branded trainers.

She had ignored it and was whining because she'd spent over £60 on expensive trainers and he was sent home.

The funniest thing I have ever seen was the response on the net. Parents came on in full support of the head's actions. They all slated the mum and pointed out that she had been warned. These cheap non branded shoes were easily available. Why did she think her son was special etc etc etc.

She came on whining and again was roundly told

I thought the head and teachers must have been smiling that night.

BusinessTrills Fri 30-Mar-12 08:41:32

I think there's nothing wrong with the children you teach seeing your actual face (which I am pretty sure is not actually grey). You are straying too far in the direction of "teachers should wear makeup", which is equally wrong.

But of course teachers can wear makeup if they like.

ameliagrey Fri 30-Mar-12 08:43:35

As a former sec teacher i was well used to pupils arguing the toss over what their uniform rules were and why teachers should have to abide by them too.

it's a nonsense, obviously.

OP_ i wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over this- it is common "chat" amongst rebellious pupils, and obviously rather dim bolshie parents.

hazchem Fri 30-Mar-12 08:43:59

My favorite teacher in primary school wore make up she also always had matching nail polish to outfit or shoes so they were different everyday.
I thought she was incredibly glam but also I also remember thinking she was incredibly smart much smarter then my ordinary teacher who didn't really ware make. (I had her for special tuition on account of my rubbish spelling)

ameliagrey Fri 30-Mar-12 08:44:58

she wasn't that good a teacher- it's "wear" not "ware" smile

AwkwardMary Fri 30-Mar-12 08:52:46

Is your makeup well applied though? One of my DDs teachers wears two streaks of BRIGHT Aqua eyeshadow and nothing else!

AwkwardMary Fri 30-Mar-12 08:53:26

Well she's not naked bar tha shadow...I mean she has no face makeup or mascara on. grin

hazchem Fri 30-Mar-12 08:53:43

Opps yep I still have dyslexia

exoticfruits Fri 30-Mar-12 08:56:17

As a former sec teacher i was well used to pupils arguing the toss over what their uniform rules were and why teachers should have to abide by them too.

it's a nonsense, obviously.

And easy to point out that you didn't do it when you were 11yrs or 14yrs! Adults are supposed to get some perks. They have done their stint as pupils-probably with even stricter rules! They may work in a school, but they don't regress in age. (I wonder if it applies to admin staff, dinner ladies etc or just teachers?)

ameliagrey Fri 30-Mar-12 09:13:41

Yes absolutely. I did my "uniform time" which was a heck of a lot more stringent than today- right down to the regulation knickers- forget thongs.

Working in education doesn't mean you have to follow the dress code of your pupils.

AwkwardMary Fri 30-Mar-12 10:15:23

I actually think older girls and boys SHOULD be allowed to wear some makeup if they want...guidelines should be set out...but what's wrong with some mascara and lip gloss? A bit of concealor if they want it?

BrianButterfield Fri 30-Mar-12 10:34:40

My school rules say something like "as students move up the school, a small amount of make-up, modestly applied, is permitted" which I think is sensible.

Whenever pupils complain about my being allowed to do things they can't, I just say "yes - I could put on a tutu and dance the fandango on every desk in this room if I wanted, and you can't! Become a teacher and you'll be able to do it too."

Lottapianos Fri 30-Mar-12 10:37:58

I'm not a teacher but I do work with young children and would be hmm if anyone suggested that I shouldn't wear make-up or nail varnish. I don't feel like I would be me without it. I occasionally still have nightmares about being back in school and having to wear a - ghastlysmile

mathanxiety Fri 30-Mar-12 16:14:01

The DCs' high school in the US allowed makeup and jewellery for boys and girls, and there were no uniforms (public school).

There were dress codes for teachers and students -- 'professional appearance' required for teachers, i.e. no jeans or shorts, nothing you would wear exercising or to the pool, and for students no skimpy tops (midriffs had to be covered and nothing strapless or ott bareness of rear ends allowed. Low slung pants were tolerated). For both, no offensive graphics on clothes. No caps or knitted hats or hoods up allowed in the building, but religious head coverings were allowed for both teachers and students.

World didn't come to an end.

My secondary school in Dublin back in the late 70s and early 80s allowed makeup but once or twice students were asked to tone it down a bit (twas the golden age of punk). I agree with AwkwardMary, and I think turning makeup into a battleground is a silly waste of time. I would take it further and argue that teaching young adults to accommodate their taste and creativity to the acceptable standards of society (where women's professional appearance is usually taken to include a made up face and groomed hair) is a life skill they should be allowed to practice in school. My primary school taught elocution and deportment as a way of getting us girls to consciously put our best foot forward, and in this day and age I think professional personal presentation should be part of that sort of package.

echt Fri 30-Mar-12 23:17:43

OP, I'd have said :"There's something in what you say, why don't you take it up with the HT?" This is what I say to arsey parents who say silly things

The "something" is of course a steaming pile of shite.grin

fallenangle Fri 30-Mar-12 23:29:55

Mary Are you seriously suggesting that 11 year olds should be allowed to wear make up to school? For what reason could an 11 year old possibly need to wear make up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now