Talk

Advanced search

Where do trendy 11/12 year old boys shop? And what should I be looking for?

(23 Posts)
chimchar Mon 12-Mar-12 17:47:37

Ds is 11. (year6)

He is still styled by me, and is happy to be...he doesn't have any interest in being trendy but needs some new clothes.

He's a long haired floppy kind of boy..wears baggy jeans, not those funny trendy chino troosers. more of a surf style than sporty or dead trendy iykwim. Vans hi tops on feet.

What should I be looking for? Anywhere a no go? Would rather him have a few trendy things and wear them to death than buy everything from Asda and tesco and him be teased. (it doesn't happen yet...but I'm sure it won't be long!)

Also, he needs a bag/ rucksack for a trip coming up...any links most welcome.

Thanks.

Sparklingbrook Mon 12-Mar-12 17:58:23

DS1 (12) loves Fat Face and Animal for Clothes and Converse trainers. Everyday stuff from Debenhams.

Other boys his age like

Hollister
Jack Wills
Superdry

But so far he hasn't shown an interest.

seeker Mon 12-Mar-12 18:05:47

Ds is 11 and loves clothes. He recently had his very long hair cut into a floppy fringe look. He is sort of surfer dude meets Indy kid!

He went shopping with his big sister recently because he's had a growth spurt. He got jeans, t shirts and a a collarless shirt from h and m, and a hoody, some chinos, and a jacket from Zara and a pair of Converse.

He wants a Superdry jacket for secondary school- I am considering this request!

He has a Gola messenger bag. Rucksacks are uncool round here.

Sparklingbrook Mon 12-Mar-12 18:11:17

Oh yes-forgot the uncool rucksack thing. DS has an Adidas man bag.

Is Superdry v expensive seeker? At DS's school it is uncool to wear a coat at all-even in snow. hmm

borninastorm Mon 12-Mar-12 18:21:57

H&m is great for boys this age and not expensive. And they do some cool baggy surfer dude clothes.

seeker Mon 12-Mar-12 18:22:36

Expensive by my standards- 50 quid-ish.

I'm probably going to have a bag issue- he's going to a secondary school that doesn't have lockers, so they have to lug everything about with them all day.sad

saffy202 Mon 12-Mar-12 18:23:19

At ds2's school they all seem to be wearing Topman.

chimchar Mon 12-Mar-12 18:24:16

Great. Thanks everyone.

See? The rucksack thing is what I obviously needed direction on!

How are h&m for sizes? I mean are they small or big or what?

Sparklingbrook Mon 12-Mar-12 18:24:33

Yes it's the same for DS1 seeker. I think that's why he doesn't want to take a coat. It is truly crap on the days he has to take cookery stuff plus games kit. Plus the bag full of books. sad

I can't imagine there is room for the children in the classroom. confused

LunarSea Mon 12-Mar-12 18:27:03

ds1 likes Fat Face, Saltrock, Weird Fish.

chimchar Mon 12-Mar-12 20:49:55

Again, thanks everyone.

Sparklingbrook Mon 12-Mar-12 20:51:03

Happy Shopping. grin

chimchar Mon 12-Mar-12 21:05:06

Hahaha! Any excuse! wink

Sparklingbrook Mon 12-Mar-12 21:43:38

Fat Face has some nice Women's stuff. wink

tiggy02 Wed 14-Mar-12 11:00:30

Also try alltimedude - on the net. They just do boys clothes

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 14-Mar-12 12:23:44

I walked past Superdry with my 12 yo DS (achingly untrendy child.Wears what's nearest in his wardrobe.Happy accident if they match) grin

I said "Oh look that's what boys your age wear"

He was hmm

timetosmile Wed 14-Mar-12 12:29:20

I'm happy that my DS (11) just plucks things from wardrobe at random and cheap, as charity shop tops still acceptable even knowing their provenance
Not remotely interested in shopping..I suspect the day will come but enjoying the last vestiges of unselfconsciousness for now..

seeker Wed 14-Mar-12 13:24:15

I'd be happy if mine plucked something out of his wardrobe too- that would mean that the was actually something in his wardrobe rather than onnthe floor.

Loads of labels in charity shops.....if you know where to look!

HannahBagServant Wed 14-Mar-12 17:38:01

I know my brothers wore a lot from TKMAXX at that age - they even appeared to enjoy hunting out a good purchase.

I agree though, H&M kids have some great casual bits and is very reasonably priced.

The problem with brands like Jack Wills and Superdry is that not only are they overpriced (save for Christmas or Birthdays) but they also have been around a few years now, and it's imminent (as with all kid's fashion) that they'll be classed as uncool soon.

chimchar Sat 17-Mar-12 07:04:10

Thanks everyone. I went to fat face yesterday. They had a small sale on so I got a nice plain t shirt there. In gap too they had boys long sleeved plain ts reduced to £1.99!!! Will go on the hunt for trousers/jeans/bag with ds I think.... Try to avoid having to take it all back!!

nearlymerrychristmasbutnotyet Sun 18-Nov-12 14:07:13

Found this thread, and my son is the same hes not interested in clothes yet. i keep telling him i want him to be able to pick out his own stuff to take a bit of pressure off me! Im pleased to hear some of the shops i thought are trendy are actually trendy for boys of this age!

Bigwuss Sun 18-Nov-12 14:39:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nearlymerrychristmasbutnotyet Sun 18-Nov-12 15:05:20

Thats true about tkmaxx, any time ive took ds in there i eventually find something, turn round to show him and hes gone. I havnt bought off ebay in a while but i will have a nosey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now