Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone found a cure for pimply upper arms (Keratosis Pilaris) ?

(67 Posts)
chocolatespiders Sun 19-Feb-12 09:59:12

This is for my DD who hates her upper arms. I have googled and found an old thread on here about using soap and glory scrub your nose in it so we will try that.
There was also mention of cream from GP - does anyone know the name of this cream.

Any other magic remedies for Keratosis Pilaris.

Thankyou

sedgieloo Sun 19-Feb-12 10:00:29

I'm sure that I have heard the clarisonic Plus (for body and face) is really good for this

Panzee Sun 19-Feb-12 10:01:43

This stuff . It's ace.

DharmaCeutical Sun 19-Feb-12 10:02:18

I've heard folks recommend Flexitol cream because of the high urea (?) content. I couldn't hack it because it smells grim, but apparently it works a treat.

recall Sun 19-Feb-12 10:02:27

i once used a body butter from the body shop and it changed the nature of my skin on my upper arms. It was a white musk one, and it was about £14 a tub - really good.

Knittedslippers Sun 19-Feb-12 10:06:37

Watching this closely as my DD also has KP. I've heard you need a cream that contains salysilic acid.

BeaMinor Sun 19-Feb-12 10:07:38

Keeping an eye on this as the only remedy I've found is pregnancy!

fuzzPigwickPapers Sun 19-Feb-12 10:08:26

Is that where your upper arms are really bumpy? I didn't know there was a name for that!

<feels like less of a freak>

Sneezeblossom Sun 19-Feb-12 10:09:03

One of those scrubbing flower things everytime I shower

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 19-Feb-12 10:12:44

Flexitol darling - as several old MN threads will attest. Be careful of your clothes, though - it's very thick.

chocolatespiders Sun 19-Feb-12 10:22:25

I have heard about the cream with salicylic acid in- this may be the one that the GP prescribes.

Are all the creams recommended on going treatments that she will have to do everyday forever?

Going to boots in a bit so very gratful for the recommendations.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 19-Feb-12 10:37:47

Flexitol - twice a day initially then I usually forget ease off to once. Haven't used it since last summer but my arms don't look as bad as usual.
It does come back if you stop using it but it's still easily remedied.
I usually step it up again in the summer.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 19-Feb-12 10:42:21

I find the soap & glory foot cream works and it smells a hell of a lot better than flexitol which makes me feel sick.

And regular exfoliation - also fake tan seems to help. Or at least makes my arms look better.

springaroundthecorner Sun 19-Feb-12 10:57:51

Hi, my son has this very badly.(I have it just on my upper arms and always felt awful about it but its nothing compared to his.) He even has on his face which is awful. We have consulted various experts and tried lots and lots of creams and scrubs. I think the key for body areas such as arms is daily exfoliation with a mild shower gel lilke Sanex for sensitive skin on one of the net scrubby things and moisturisation with something also gentle and without many additives like Keils Intensive Moisturiser. If you go too hard at it or use cheap products it just makes things redder and more angry. We have used vitamin A creams which encourage a fast skin turn over but after a while it began to irritate and make the redness worse but is worth trying till that happens as the skin does soften.

Finally I would say that my sons skin is never better than when on holiday in the sun, swimming in the sea, and using good quality suncreams for sensitive skin.

Its a rotten condition and your daughter has my sympathy.

KateSpade Sun 19-Feb-12 11:05:41

I have it, or something similar, my arms feel bumpy and always have done, but they don't look any different, or red, but i presume thats what it is, I've always had it since i was a child, It's not something that botheres me particularly, but am reading this thread with interest.

otchayaniye Sun 19-Feb-12 11:37:01

Different things work for different people, but however and whatever you use is a two-pronged thing to minimise (there isn't a cure, as such) the appearance. Exfoliation (manual or chemical) and hydration, to soothe and plump up

I was the one who recommended flexitol but some find it exacerbates the redness

Clarisonic body brush is good

Sun is good - I didn't have it when living in se Asia.

Pregnancy minimised it, but bfeeding and post-partum made it reappear

Non SLS products good

Lots of moisturiser with ahas or urea good.

You have to exfoliate daily and moisturise twice daily.

And don't pick it!

liftthatup Sun 19-Feb-12 11:44:18

Flexitol worked a treat for me. However I have also found Liz Earle's Nourishing Body cream to be very effective. Both my DC have bumpy skin on legs and arms and LE helps sort them out. It helps with eczema patches too. Smells fabulous- much nicer than Flexitol smile!

StealthPolarBear Sun 19-Feb-12 11:46:13

Flexitol did work for me when I tried it. I'll also try the eucerin

onelittleclara Sun 19-Feb-12 11:53:48

Palmers shea butter with aha's worked for me. It's in.a green bottle wand costs about £3. Don't wear it directly before going in the sun though. My beautician put me onto it, Lalthough MD formulations do a similar more expensive one

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 19-Feb-12 12:05:38

Might try the Liz Earle one - My legs and stomach look like they're threatening to go the KP way sometimes but I couldn't stand Flexitol all over.
I think I'm alleegic to shea butter, otherwise I'd try the Palmers one.

Whobuilt Sun 19-Feb-12 12:06:26

I had this for flipping years, couldn't wear vest tops or summery tops and then it vanished! I thought the sun cleared it up e.g. on holiday but I realised it was aerosol deodorant all along shock, just a coincidence that i always took roll on deodorants on holiday with me, never had any problems since I changed to roll on smile

Whobuilt Sun 19-Feb-12 12:07:27

I sound like an advert for roll on deodorants! blush

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 19-Feb-12 12:07:34

Hmm that's got shea butter < quandary >.

Whobuilt Sun 19-Feb-12 12:08:28

O and i thought it said under arms! Double blush

danceswithyarn Sun 19-Feb-12 12:14:45

Thing I found that worked was combination of improving diet (less junk, higher proportion of protein, more water - I was also trying to lose weight, but not necessarily an issue for the OPs DD of course) and exercise. I was at the gym or swimming a lot, with regular post-swim saunas too (you don't say how old your DD is - may not be an option) I think it was almost a case of sweating the gunk out of my skin before it made the lumps.

No potions, still use biological washing powder, and other benefits too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now